What's new

The NFL Midpoint - CONTENDERS (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
As a Raiders’ fan I just loved this week. Not only did we dominate Denver but the Chargers and Chiefs also lost.

Still a real long shot for the playoffs but at least they appear to have found their offense again.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Still a real long shot for the playoffs but at least they appear to have found their offense again.
Long shot? Naw....they are 1 game out of first place at just over the mid-way point. I like their chances.
Tonight's game was the best I've seen by the Raiders in a long long time. Total domination.
If I had to pick a Super Bowl team, I would, in my best Chris Berman voice choose Da Raaaaaaaaaaydas.
Oh, and for the NFC, I would have to choose Tampa. Tampa. Tampa. ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Things are getting more difficult to predict. Who would have thought that Indy (can I call them that? :) ) would beat up Philly and the Raiders would dominate the Broncos in Denver? I'm going to start flipping a coin.
One thing I will predict with confidence -- Green Bay will win the NFC Norris (yeah, I know I'm going out on a limb on that one).

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
If I had to pick a Super Bowl team, I would, in my best Chris Berman voice choose Da Raaaaaaaaaaydas
Did you forget that the Raiders lost 4 games in a row and got dominated in the same fashion in which they did the dominating yesterday?

Do you think a team lacking that kind of consistency will play like they did last night for the rest of the season? Or will they play like they did the previous month?

Nobody knows who will win the AFC. It's a total crapshoot.

Chargers 6-3
Broncos 6-3
Steelers 5-3-1
Patriots 5-4
Raiders 5-4
Bills 5-4
Dolpins 5-4
Colts 5-4

That's 8 teams separated by 1 game. If anyone can accurately predict which 6 of those teams will make the playoffs let alone which team will win the AFC from that group, I have a get rich quick scheme you might be interested in. That list doesn't even include the rapidly improving Jets and Titans. Who knows?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Did you forget that the Raiders lost 4 games in a row and got dominated in the same fashion in which they did the dominating yesterday?
While the Raiders did play badly they were hardly dominated in all four losses. They lost two in overtime, were competitive in a third and only got dominated in the Rams’ game.

One thing is for certain, if they had lost last night they wouldn’t have a chance for the division title, now they are one game back and still have hope.

MikeM

Screenwriter
Evan, read what Patrick wrote. :)
How on Earth can you say they were dominated i their losses when two of those losses went to OT. :confused:
I'm saying that I happen to know the AFC West very well, and I firmly believe the Raiders are a lock to win the AFC west. Yes, you heard me a LOCK. Let's look at the contenders.
I personally think the Steelers are a joke. Their D is horrible. I know they have racked together a few wins, but I've watched each of their games, and Bill Cowher is a poor coach. If you watch their games, there are countless errors he makes in clock management and/or turnovers on downs. (In the Pitt/Cleveland game, the Steelers went for it on 4th down 3 or 4 times in field goal range.) His clock management at the end of the ATL game was jaw droppingly bad.
The Pats, squeaked out a win yesterday with a typically suspect D, and through the "magic", once again, of instant replay.
The Dolphins? Too easy. Their offense needs a full off season to get on track. They won't go all the way.
The Chargers? They usually fade earlier than the Raiders toward season's end. :) Watch for a nose dive.
The Colts. Excellent offense, and with the play on Mungro they have a well balanced machine. The problem is that they can't stop the run, and if they are behind in a game, that will seal their fate as the other team will slowly draw the life out of them with the run.
The Bills. Exciting team, well balanced passing attack, and if Henry can stop fumbling, they have an excellent run game too. Especially in the winter months, it will be hard to win in Buffalo. But they can be beaten, as the Raiders showed by outplaying them in their own house earlier this year.
Believe it or not, but the biggest threat to the Raiders are the Chiefs. The Raiders have a tough time stopping explosive ground and passing attacks like KCs, but I think they'll have a better record in the end.
That leaves us with the Broncos. Re-watch last night's game with the Raiders, and maybe now you'll know why I consider the Raiders a lock.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Did you forget that the Raiders lost 4 games in a row and got dominated......?
Hmmmmm.... can I have some of that crack you are smoking?;)
They look solid, Their defense has gotten better over the season's course, even without Buchanan and Woodson in several games. Their offense is on track,and will continue to be the rest of the season. They play some of the best football I can ever recall seeing. All of their wins have come as a result of powerhouse, total domination football.
All of their victories have been by 13 points or more. Remember, they beat the favored Steelers 30-17. The Raiders are going to win AFC West. I have spoken!

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Re-watch last night's game with the Raiders, and maybe now you'll know why I consider the Raiders a lock
Wow...the Raiders win their first game against Denver in Denver in 7 years and win only their 3rd meeting between the two teams over the last 13 and suddenly they are a LOCK?

I think you two have partaken in a little of that same crack you accuse me of smoking.

The Broncos played very poorly last night...but that was an abberation. You guys played your best game of the year. Enjoy your success last night and your 9-7 finish.

MikeM

Screenwriter
You guys played your best game of the year. Enjoy your success last night and your 9-7 finish.
Me? I didn't even break a sweat last night, I just kept my fat ass on the couch. :D
The Raiders were the team that won, not me. I always find it funny when people say "we won" or "you lost". :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Personally, I think the Raiders have been too inconsistent this season to be successful in the playoffs. However, I guess that can be said about almost every team in the league this year. One win against Denver, though, does not make Oakland great. After all, the Lions beat New Orleans, but nobody thinks that Detroit is a better team than the Saints.

It's a wide open, crazy year in the NFL.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I say it's the salary cap.
I agree. Powerhouse teams like the 49ers and Cowboys had to get rid of players before they wanted to because of the cap, helping to strengthen the lesser teams. At this point, the more competitive teams are those that can manage the cap the best. However, no team can stockpile talent on the bench for depth in case of injuries -- the dynasties did this all the time in the pre-cap era.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Here's what the Tuesday Morning QB said about parity at espn.com:
There's one problem -- parity is a myth. Maybe that's why so many people believe in it!
Read the entire article: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/tmq/021112.html
The test to see if the Raiders are for real or not is this weekend. If they can get their revenge against the Pats, I think they're in it for the long haul. If not, I just call them a streaky team, with some great games in them.
All I know is that my Niners look like one of the most consistant teams. Their two losses come via two of the best teams in the NFL, and they barely got beat in either. I say they're the best team in the NFC right now. The Packers are close, but they play in the weakest division.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
All I know is that my Niners look like one of the most consistant teams.
..which I have to attribute to their running game. Sure, they play the RBBC game but it works. Even Fred Beasley was coming up with good plays to keep drives alive on Sunday.

As a Raider fan, this type of play is killin' me - the ups and downs so far, it's nerve-racking to say the least. I guess it's the fact that they can't get up for each game?

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Sure, they play the RBBC game but it works.
Exactly. Whatever it takes to get the win. They have two backs that are on pace for near 1000 yard seasons. (Has there ever been a team with two 1000 yard backs?) If they featured either one of these guys, you're looking at the NFL rushing leader. It kills their fantasy value, but I love that they play it this way, keeps both of them fresh and they can give the D two different looks.

It took a Stokes injury to finally show the Niners what I've known for the last year or two, that Tai Streets is the better reciever. Owens now has somebody to take the pressure off him. Garcia isn't Montana, but he's very consistant and plays a smart game. Knows when to run and when to throw it away. (Except for the last play of the half against the Chiefs.)

Their defense looks better every game. They shut down the high powered Chiefs offense. Keeping Priest to 51 yards and a TD.

I love their chances! (As long as they don't play in Green Bay during the playoffs.)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
All I know is that my Niners look like one of the most consistant teams. Their two losses come via two of the best teams in the NFL, and they barely got beat in either. I say they're the best team in the NFC right now. The Packers are close, but they play in the weakest division.
Eagles at Niners, next Monday Night. Its a must win for the Birds - hopefully, their Primetime winning streak can continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks