What's new

The NFL Midpoint - CONTENDERS (1 Viewer)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Tommy Maddox has nowhere near the coolness under pressure as Tom Brady or is he as accurate.
And what do you base that on? Maddox is completing over 65% of his passes and has been Mr. Cool. He hasn't been rattled yet. That's what I really like about him. He's unproven as an NFL QB but by the time the playoffs get here, he'll have plenty of experience under his belt. There's already quite a few NFL teams that wish they'd have given him a shot.

The Steelers defense is the same defense as the one that led the league last year. Kendrell Bell was hurt for the first four games and it had a major impact on how they played. He's back now and they're playing better. The last 2 games they've gotten big leads by halftime and then Cowher has gone into 'prevent' mode, giving up yardage but few points.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Well my Raiders are done.

I think all this talk about Pittsburgh is hilarious. Yes they will probably make the playoffs but that has more to do with the division they are in then how good they are playing. Once in the playoffs, they'll face a team with some talent on offense and again the defense will not be able to get the job done.

In fact even though N.E. and Oakland have fallen on hard times if they were to play Pittsburgh this Sunday, Pittsburgh would probably lose to either one.

Right now Denver looks to be the class of the AFC and barring any injuries they should win the West and SD should be a wild card.

Here are my playoff teams:

Denver
Miami
Pittsburgh
Indy
SD
Buffalo

In the NFC

Green Bay
Philadelphia
San Francisco
New Orleans
Tampa Bay
Rams

Of course any one of these teams is just one major injury from big trouble, (what team isn't?) so things could change in the end.

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
If the Pats win tomorrow there right back in it. Do I think they will the Super Bowl this year, no. But, I believe they will be dangerous before it is over. It is Philly's year to win it. If they get home field throughout the playoff's they will win the whole thing. San Diego versus Philly in the Bowl.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I don't like the Chiefs chances b/c they have a very bad defense and their offense is not that great. Plus I don't think Trent Green is a Superbowl QB.
Then again, who thought Trent Dilfer was a super bowl QB? But he has a ring.

Cheifs defense needs improving, but part of that will happen this season (or should) they've been getting good play from their rookie (Ryan Simms) who is growing into the game after missing training camp.

I don't think the Chiefs defense will be fantastic.. but I think it will improve.. somewhat. If they can just hold teams to 20 or so, they have a good chance of making a serious playoff run.

But next year is the year that looks most exciting for them; being under the salary cap with some good material, they are slowl building. Took Vermeil three years in St. Louis.. this is year 2 here. Not bad, looks like he got the offense moved over pretty well.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Two reasons why the Chiefs will not get to the Super Bowl -- Johnnie Morton and Eddie Kennison. When these two guys are your main wide receivers, the team is in trouble. To stop KC's offense, a defense only needs to slow down Priest Holmes.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
they've been getting good play from their rookie (Ryan Simms) who is growing into the game after missing training camp.
Ryan Sims was placed on Injured Reserve on October 17th. He's out for the year. So don't count on him to provide any future good play in the coming weeks.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ryan Sims was placed on Injured Reserve on October 17th. He's out for the year. So don't count on him to provide any future good play in the coming weeks.
I'm quite aware; sorry for posting so late at night! But, the kid does show promise of things to come (which is why I alluded to next year as being a potentially great year for KC) sometimes you should wait until you get sleep to post ;)

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
Anyone else amazed at the tailspin that the Rams and the vikings are in? Not what I expected from either of these teams.

As a loyal Bronco's fan, I very happy with their record. But I gotta admit that they have had some piss poor games. Even some of their wins were ugly to put it mildly. As usual they got their butts kicked by a team they did not respect (Ravens), seems they pull that stunt at least twice a year for as long as I can remember. Still hope to see them in the Super Bowl, another reason to have a football party in front of the Widescreen!

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Hey Frank great day for us Bronco fans. They don't even play and with the Raiders Loss and the surprising killing that the Jets put on the Chargers, the Broncos are on top of the AFC West.
The only thing that makes me smile more than a Raiders loss is a loss handed to them by the Broncos.
:D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Anyone else amazed at the tailspin that the Rams and the vikings are in? Not what I expected from either of these teams.
The Vikings do not really surprise me. They have only one receiver (Moss) and a below average set of running backs. Derrick Alexander doesn't belong in the NFL. The new coach's "Randy ratio" has only served to put more pressure on Culpepper to force the ball into Moss. Finally, the Vikings defense is as bad as ever. Five TD passes to Brad Johnson?! Please!

Amazingly, the Rams are not out of it yet at 3-5. The final NFC wildcard could be won with a 9-7 record. The loser of the NFC South (Tampa or New Orleans) will get one wild card, but battle for the other one is wide open.

Hey, the Lions are all alone in 2nd place in the NFC North. Is that pathetic, or what?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Nice to see everything spun on it's head. Oh wait, that's college ball :D
I never meant to start a Vick-McNabb comparison. But they are comparable, I think Vick has more physical talent, but I'd take McNabb any day of the week for the next decade.
I like watching Michael Vick. He truly is blessed. However, I do laugh at all the pundits that proclaim him THE MAN and say he is like nothing we have ever seen. But they are short-sighted and hyperbole-infected. They don't remember.
I do. Randall Cunningham. As a Cowboys fan (and old NFC East fan - no more :frowning: ), I watched Randall do the things Vick CAN do or COULD do in the future. Vick is this generations' Randall, and that's a heck of an exciting thing to be. But Randall got shut down in the playoffs. Because very good defenses have great athletes and great coordinators, and they make these guys throw into good coverage. It's that simple.
Lew, I stand by my SB prediction. Especially after yesterday's barn-burner vs. the Lions :D
By the by, the Giants looked good last night. But they have the same problems as the Redskins (and FWIW, the Cowboys) - they can't beat the Eagles.
Th Rams continue their climb out. If they can stay healthy and get a wild-card... The 49er's looked exceptional (I hate them) in beating the Raiders in Oakland. Tonight's game should also answer a lot of questions...
Take care,
Chuck

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
While the Vick to Cunningham comparisons are valid, Vick is still that much of a better athlete than Randall Cunninham every was. My reasons;
1. Vick is a better runner. He's faster, shiftier, and has much better balance. Cunninham might look like he will knock off a 30-40 yard run off a broken play, every time Vick runs with the ball, you believe that he can take it all the way.
2. Vick has a better arm. His arm is a little bit stronger than Cunninham's (Vick can throw it about 5 yards or so longer than cunninham) and his release is much quicker than Cunninham's ever was. Vick has the quickest release since Dan Marino.
3. Vick is more consistent than Cunninham. Granted he just had his first official "bad" day as a starting QB, his o-line is horrendous, and their faults became apparent against the still-good Baltimore D. When Vick has just a sliver of time to think about his options, he makes the right decision. Cunninham, especially throught the first 6 years or so of his career, was plagued by bad decisions and undisciplined play. Vick seems to not have this trait, which is essential in the development of a good QB.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree with your post chung, Cunningham's release was terribly slow and Vick is a much better player than RC. Vick is like nothing we have seen, nobody at the QB position has been as fast or as quick and elusive as Michael Vick, add a great arm and you got something truly special. Just the fact that people are comparing a second year QB to a veteran speaks volumes.

It was a great day for us Bronco fans no doubt.

What Tom Brady did yesterday just continues to cement the fact the Patriot's traded the right player, and is there a bigger gamer in the NFL than Tom Brady? I can't even imagine the heat he was taking and all of the talk about the wrong guy got traded b/c of the way Bledsoe has been playing. Well Brady is 6/6 for 61 yards on his opening drive for a TD, he finishes 23-27 for 310 yards and 4 td's with a QB rating of 151. That is so freaking impressive I can even begin to tell you.

The Bronco's look to be the class of the AFC with Miami a close second. I hope Miami loses tonight but I think they will pull it out with a great defensive performance.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Someone mentioned it earlier, Chiefs vs. Falcons.
A good possibility.
No team really stands out as being overly dominant.
Just look at the Chargers getting blown away at home by the Jets!! And the Raiders getting beat also, Chiefs could easily take the AFC west.
If the Chiefs pull off victory this coming weekend, they will make the playoffs for sure. I have confidence. :D
I know they are up and down, but I think they have come to life. They score a lot of points.
And the Chiefs are pretty exciting to watch.
Chiefs and Falcons, I totally see this as a reality.

Dan B

Screenwriter
This is a tough year to pick a standout team. :) It does make the games fun to watch though.
For the people who said that the Packers are all Brett Favre, my Super Bowl prediction:
Brett Favre: 35
Other team: 27
:D (in the spirit of the Saturday Night Live Ditka vs. everyone skit)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks