What's new

The NFL Midpoint - CONTENDERS (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Here we are, going into Week 9. Some strange things have shaken out.
AFC contenders:
Who knows? OAkland and New England have both swooned. Miami lost their QB. Only San Diego and Denver look to be solid. At this point, I'd have to give the edge to Denver unless Miami can get their QB together.
NFC contenders:
IMO, clearly the stronger conference at this point.
1. Eagles - the ONLY NFC team that is solid all around. Tough defense, awesome QB, solid running game, and a potent passing attack. Special teams are pretty damned good as well. The #2 Offense in the NFC and the #2 defense. Eagles are also the #1 rushing offense in the NFC.
2. Green Bay - questions at the WR and on defense. Brett Favre iscarrying the team.
3. New Orleans and SF - good offense but lacking on defense - big time.
Super Bowl Prediction: Philadelphia beats Denver
What do YOU think?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The Cowboys are so bad, that I plan to start following hockey and basketball earlier than normal.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think the AFC is still the stronger conference. While Oakland and New England have stumbled lately, I think the Raiders are still a viable contender. Fiedler should be back for Miami in a few weeks, and they are not a big passing team anyway. Denver looks solid, and San Diego continues to impress. Schottenheimer can certainly get teams to the playoffs -- he just doesn't know how to win once he gets there. Don't laugh, but Pittsburgh is still a contender. They have no competition in their division and have been playing better since switching to Maddox at QB (who would have believed benching Kordell would help? :D ). Indy looked decent, but they will struggle if the Edge is lost with this latest injury.
The NFC appears to be Philly's to win or lose. Gruden has not been able to jump start Tampa's offense, Green Bay has Favre, Green and not much else (but wins the division by default), and St. Louis dug themselves too deep a hole. That leaves San Fran and New Orleans as the best competition for the Eagles. The rest of the conference is complete garbage (or devout cowards, per Matt Millen :) ).

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
That leaves San Fran and New Orleans as the best competition for the Eagles.
Neither of whom have a defense. This was shown clearly when they played each other two weeks ago and just drove up and down the field on each other.
I forgot Atlanta. They are a dark horse. Michael Vick could carry them deep into the playoffs.
It all looks too good for the long-suffering Eagle fan. That means its pretty much a lock the Eagles won't win it. ;)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Indy looked decent, but they will struggle if the Edge is lost with this latest injury.
I disagree. If anything I think the Colts may FLOURISH with the Edge out. That may sound like heresy, but the Edge is not the same back he once was. He's slow and tentative and teams have realized that the Colts ground game is not the threat it once was. Subsequently, they take less chances bringing the safeties up to the line of scrimmage to stop the run and that doesn't free up Ismail and Harrison. Manning panics and the offense struggles. When Ricky Williams went in there late last game, he added a spark that the team capitalized on.
Not saying the Edge isn't still good, but that team needs to establish a better running game to open up the deep passing game. Harrison only has 3 TD's this year because he's not getting as much one on one coverage.
As for my thoughts...I keep dismissing the Chargers because of their youth, but I'm going to stop doing that. Still, they have already lost once to Denver and with the Broncos impressive road victory over the Pats this weekend (of which I was in attendance:D ) they have to be considered the class of the AFC. Honestly, you need to fear the Steelers if you are a fan of any other team in the AFC. They have the best defense of the other contenders besides Denver and SD and they are proficient enough on offense to challenge. Now other teams cannot rely on Kordell playoff mistakes to surface.
In the NFC, the Eagles are the clear cut favorite...I think they are the most balanced team. Watch out for San Fran however. Their defense is coming around and I like them to also contend later on. If Tampa can get their offense together or NO can get their defense on track, both teams become viable Super Bowl contenders.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
If you glance at my sig, you can probably figure out what I think.

"Favre, Green and not much else"????? Um, Glenn, Driver, and Franks spring immediately to mind. Not to mention the All-Pro safety, and All-Rookie other Safety.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
With regards to green bay, they do have Brett Favvvruh and Ahman Green, but Terry Glenn? Bubba Franks? Glenn is a friggin' headcase moron, and Franks, while ok, is in no way a top 10 NFL Tight end right now. I mean, Shannon Sharpe had more yards in 1 GAME than Franks has had all season. But Farve can bring Green Bay to at least the NFC championship game, and maybe into the super bowl, if he still has the magic left in him. Here are my predictions for playoff teams:
AFC:
1.Denver
2.Miami
3.Pitt
4.Indy
5.San Diego
6.Buffalo

NFC:
1.Philly
2.New Orleans
3.Green Bay
4.San Fran
5.Tampa
6.St. Louis

1St Rd:
AFC:
Buffalo Beats Pitt
San Diego Beats Indy
NFC:
Green Bay beats St.Louis
San Fran beats Tampa

2nd Rd:
AFC:
Buffalo beats Denver
Miami beats San Diego
NFC:
Philly beats San Fran
Green Bay beats New Orleans (But McNabb gets Hurt)

Conf. Champ:
AFC:
Denver beats Buffalo
NFC:
(With McNabb Hurt)
Green Bay beats Philly
(With McNabb Healthy)
Philly beats Green Bay

Super Bowl:
NFC wins (either Green Bay or Philly)

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I like Denver(if Miami can not lose too much ground than maybe them) in the AFC and Philly in the NFC.
The Bronco's are the most balanced team right now.
San Diego hasn't played anyone, and the best team they played(Bronco's) dominated the entire game. But with Seau back I want to see what they can do with there tough schedule ahead.
Steelers are really coming around but really, how far will Tommy Maddox take them?
Miami If they stay in contention with Lucas at the QB position and an awesome defense this team really scares me. Just for the fact that they beat my Bronoco's in Mile High.
The Colts that team is not going anywhere, especially with no run defense. Edge is not back yet but neither is Rhodes, plus Edge had no where to run last Sunday.
Raiders did they start their late swoone early this year?
Buffalo Their offense is awesome but will the defense pick up their play? Nobody wants to play at Buffalo. Still another year away.
NFC(don't follow as closely as the AFC)
Philly They play awesome defense and with McNabb he will buy time and make something out of nothing.
Green Bay They are playing great ball right now but I am just not sold on this team. At least not enough to think they will be Superbowl bound.
N.O. They look good but will the defense come around to the form of a couple years ago?
S.F. I don't know, they are good but I just don't think it's their time yet.
Atlanta Are we going to see Vick take average teams to the Superbowl like John Elway did? Vick is sick.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
how far will Tommy Maddox take them
Don't be so down on "Touchdown" Tommy Maddox! It's true that he didn't do a whole lot when he started with the NFL, but I don't think it was all his fault. He came out of college 2 years early and didn't have his head together for the NFL.

I kinda think of Tommy Maddox as another Kurt Warner(almost). He was a forgotten QB that had all the skills but couldn't find anyone to give him another shot. While Kurt Warner found success in the Arena League, Tommy found it in the XFL. All both of these guys needs was someone to give them a look and a shot!

He was stuck behind John Elway in 92 and 93. He was stuck behind Chris Miller and Chris Chandler in 94 in L.A. He was behind Dave Brown in 95 in NY.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
"Favre, Green and not much else"????? Um, Glenn, Driver, and Franks spring immediately to mind.
You must be kidding? Driver, Glenn and Franks? Please. Terry Glenn hasn't done anything productive in years, and Franks is overrated. He scored most of his TD's last season when the opposing teams failed to cover him. That's not happening this season. The Pack's main advantage is that they have been handed a free pass to the playoffs -- Chicago, Detroit and Minnesota are all horrible.

I think Pittsburgh is a much better team with Maddox at QB than with Kordell "Choke" Stewart. As mentioned above, they have a solid defense, a decent running game and Burress is starting to produce at WR (Hines Ward is also very underrated at that position).

I do agree that the Eagles are the team to beat in the NFC. I only mentioned New Orleans and San Fran because I do not see any other team even challenging in that conference (Green Bay does get there by default). Philly is easily the most balanced team in the NFC, with a dangerous QB, solid running game and good defense. Their only weakness is at wide receiver.

Mickey Geer

Agent
Actually Tommy Maddox polished his game in the Arena league, just like Warner. He credits the fast-paced arena football as to why he can get the ball away so quickly. I was talking him up in preseason and was just overjoyed when they finally got rid of Kordell. Watch the Steelers as I believe they are playing as well or better than any other team ATM.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Atlanta is very close to being 6-1 this year, they had 2 very close early losses. If Vick can stay healthy, he'll keep the Falcons in a lot of games.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One thing for sure, it's been an interesting year; I feel fairly good about the Chiefs for next year; too bad their defense is so bad this year. If they had even just a slightly better Defense, they would be incredible.. but as it is, when you basically require 40+ points to win on most weekends, hard to accomplish. Good performance from them to nod up the season.

I'm not totally counting out the Raiders, but I think if they get pummeled by SF this weekend, they are in real trouble. I'd love to say they are getting older and more experienced.. but they are just getting older.

Right now, I'm most concerned with Houston.. I just hope they can beat the Bengals this time round. Someone has to go 0-16!!!

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
No one has mentioned the Kansas City Chiefs. After their victory over the Raiders last week, I think they are contenders. Even before last week, I think we should consider they have lost 2 games in OT (by a mere FG at that), and 1 game by a point, and their lost to Jacksonville was also last minute, they could easily be better than .500 right now.
And Dick Vermeil knows how to win.
Of course I say the Chiefs will do great every year, but this time......;)
Seriously, they are one of the leagues top scoring teams (also right up there with giving points away), they have Priest Holmes, who is a league leader for rushing, and a receiving arsenal to be reckoned with.
I think they will surprise everyone and make the playoffs.
I will post my predictions tommorow or the next day. (if anyone cares. :) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks