The NFL coaching carousel is running full speed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Merryfield, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Let's see... Schottenheimer is out and Spurrier is in at Washington, Dungy is out and Parcells is probably in at Tampa, Mora is out and Dungy has the inside track in Indy, Green is out and Tice is in at Minnesota, and Carolina and San Diego are looking for new coaches.

Schottenheimer getting canned is no surprise. I think he regretted taking the job working for Snyder and did everything he could after the season to get fired. He walked away with another $7 million for the remaining two years of his contract. Not bad.

Spurrier will struggle in Washington. The Skins are a power running and defensive team -- not exactly Spurrier's type of team. Also, Snyder will have his hand back in things. He should learn from his rival in Dallas -- owners who know nothing about football should keep their nose out of running the team.

While Dungy is a decent coach, his failure to build a respectable offense lost his job. With Parcells to tweak things, the Bucs will be a force to reckon with. I am glad the Bucs are no longer in the same division with the Lions.

Dungy in Indianapolis would be interesting. He would inherit some great offensive talent. Hopefully he can hire an offensive coordinator to run a less conservative offense than the ones he used in Tampa. He should certainly be able to improve the Colts defense.

I am surprised the Vikings acted so quickly to hire Tice. He only has a few years experience as an assistant coach -- all in Minnesota. Since Tice would have still been available in a few weeks, I think they should have looked around more for someone with more experience.

2. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

I think the Vikes hired Tice so quickly partly as a "saving face" maneuver. It was meant to build up team morale instead of having to admit that any of the plum coaches available had no desire to go there, no offense to Minneapolis. They were going to have to wait on the Dungy rumor and hope it panned out, or pick up the pieces and move on immediately. You never know. Tice might be the best coach the Vikings have ever had. If he gets up the nerve to kick Randy Moss in the ass when Moss lollygags on an opposite field run-block, I'll think he's a damn fine coach.

3. Scott Merryfield

John,

That is a good reason to hire Tice -- being afraid that no one better will want the job. I remember several years ago when the Lions were looking for a coach. They were turned down by several big names -- Chuck Noll, Don James, the WVU coach, the Boston College coach, etc. No one wanted to work for then-GM Russ Thomas (maybe the worst long-term GM in pro sports history). They ended up settling for Darryl Rogers and looked quite foolish through the entire process.

4. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Scott - you beat me to it! I don't think anyone wants to inherit the problems Green brought to the Vikes. I think they are saddled with some pretty big contracts and will have difficulty rebuilding the team for a while. No coach with a name for himself would step into that situation.

Regarding Dungy, I hope Indy does snag him. Add a competent Offensive Coordinator and they should be a force to reckon with in the near future.

And then there is the Lions... who will be the next Andre Ware???

5. Scott Merryfield

Bill Parcells just turned down the Tampa job. The Bucs are screwed. They fired Dungy because they thought that Parcells would be an upgrade and could get them to a Super Bowl -- it's hard to argue with that. However, now that he's taken himself out of the picture, there is no one out there who is better qualified to coach Tampa than Dungy. Tampa could have saved some face by hiring local boy Spurrier, but he's been hired by the Redskins. Now what?

6. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter