The next Resident Evil release ... when?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by chris larralde, Sep 17, 2002.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I'm hoping that Columbia/Tristar decides to make it a Superbit Deluxe release. Kind of makes sense ... and I would love an improved transfer to boot!

Anyone know when the next special edition is supposed to come out?

2. Jared M

Jared M Stunt Coordinator

hopefully no time soon considering i just purchased it.

3. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I don't think it will be a 'Superbit Deluxe' as P Anderson has repeatedly stated that another commentary has be recorded for the future release and as you know no 'SuperBit' title released to date has retained it's commentary track.

I know that when questioned, Anderson indicated that the 2-disc set would be released before Xmas. While I agree that this could happen (there is no sense for Columbia to announce the 2 disc set now, while the standard 'Special Edition'[1] is still selling) I think it is more likely this will be available roundabout Q2 2003.

I'm interested to see what the retail release of Resident Evil in the UK will consist of. Will we get the 'Super Special Edition' right away?

[1] How Columbia could class the initial release of Resident Evil as a 'Special Edition' when they knew a better version was 'in the works' is beyond me. This really is a case of ripping-off the consumer.

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I really really really want this movie. This has 'guilty pleasure' written all over it. I had a ball in the theater, and I'll have a ball again when the 2 discer comes out! Here's hoping for a pre-Xmas street. [​IMG]

5. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

I've been holding off on the purchase because of the 2 disk set ... but the wait is killing me!
    Darn, I thought it would be a perfect candidate for Superbit![​IMG]

6. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I too am waiting for the next release but...I heard that there would be NO NEXT RELEASE (not yelling, but wanted to make my point).
    I guess what I'm wanting to know now...will there actually BE a new release?

7. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

9. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

A better transfer you have to be kidding right? Anyway from what I heard the 2 disc set will be out early next year around the same time the 3 disc version of Black Hawk Down comes out.

10. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Probably the smartest marketing move would be to wait until the release of Resident Evil 2. Anyone know when that's expected?

11. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

Concerning Nemesis(RE2 movie), I'd imagine that the script is getting close to completion. As P.A. has continually been saying that he has been working on the script for a while now.

Sean

12. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

So, when we all toss our 1 disc editions for two disc collectors editions, are they going to come out with a three disc psychotic collector edition?

13. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

I'm waiting for the 2 disc set...so I can buy a PV copy of the 1st edition from one of you guys for dirt cheap[​IMG]

14. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

Cool...thanks guys.
    I liked the movie a lot and will buy it, but as with Black Hawk Down, I'm waiting for the Real SE...[​IMG]!

15. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

16. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

17. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

DVDFile just reported a Superbit edition is coming on 12/17. Not SuperBit Deluxe, so NO extras. I don't think this bodes well for an SE. [​IMG]

18. James Reader

James Reader Screenwriter

I wonder if the 'extra' extras will only be available on the (unannounced) R2 retail version?

My first thoughts when Anderson was talking about an upcoming 2 disc set was that the R2 version would be split into 2 discs - sometimes this happens as the films contain extra language tracks and subtitles.

Then I heard about the extra commentaries and alternative endings so thought it was for the R1. Perhaps it is just for the R2 release. Would be nice to get something 'extra' after the *cough* *spit* RENTAL release over here.

Always thought it was dubious that the R1 version was labeled 'Special Edition' - I see that they took the SE moniker off 'Enigma' which is due for a new release next year.

19. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

20. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

What the? I bought this "special edition" the day it came out and now this?? Ugh, what will it be called?? Ultimate edition?? Damnit, there was never this problem with VHS!!!! Then again, VHS looks awful, but still....