What's new

The Next Queen DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, after the rousing sucess of A Night at the Opera, what do you guys think should be the next Queen Dvd-a.

I think It should be Queen 2. It is the most produced queen album (produced mening lost of sound effects and neat little quirks)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

To tell you the truth, after I purchased this disc, and after I listened to it a few times, I realized just how starved for DVD-A titles we really are.

Sure the disc sounds great, but how "great" is the material?

You have 3 songs that stand out and the rest are "ok".

"Bohemian Rhapsody" a rock anthem to be sure.

"You're My Best Friend" A good solid hit for Queen.

"'39" Is the best song on the disc. IMO.

There are so many great albums that are just screaming to be on DVD-A. I'm quite sure most of us can think of at least 10 without even trying.

But would "A Night At The Opera" have been included in that 10?

I'm not slamming Queen. I'm just tired of salivating over the promise of honest to goodness classic albums being released on this wonderful media.

These manufacturers need to get with the program.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I love A Night at the Opera, so I am not so desparate for new DVD-Audio titles that I view this album as a consolation prize. A Night at the Opera is a classic from top to bottom. That said, I realize the music isn't for everybody. In my opinion, "Bohemian Rhapsody", "You're My Best Friend", and "39" are great songs, but so are "Death on Two Legs (Dedicated to......)", "I'm In Love With My Car", and "The Prophet's Song". My DVD-Audio copy just came today, and I can't wait to hear "The Prophet's Song" in surround sound. That should be way cool. :)
As for the next Queen album on DVD-Audio, that's a tough call. How about a greatest hits compilation? :) I know that won't happen, but that's what I would like to see.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
A Day At The Races would make sense as I have always considered the two as sister albums.

I also consider A Night At The Opera an essential rock album from top to bottom.

I love all the songs on the album especially the quirkier ones like Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon or Good Company. Queen really had that British sense of humor that I love in English bands.

JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John said:

Queen really had that British sense of humor that I love in English bands.
Absolutely. Excellent point. I always felt that Queen were more than just musicians. Though they are excellent musicians ('were' in the case of Freddie Mercury, unfortunately), as a group, Queen were more than that. Some songs offer humor, while others are sophisticated, both musically and in terms of content. Queen simply was an excellent group, and A Night at the Opera is a masterpiece in my opinion.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I picked up Opera yesterday and listened to it briefly. This is the first surround sound music DVD that I actually noticed a big jump in quality over regular CD's. And I'm only listening to the DTS track!!! This is an excellent disk. I've said in the past that this release would make me go out and get a DVD-A player. You know what? My receiver upgrade just got pushed back. Anyone have a recommendation for a good, reliable DVD-V/A player in the $700-1000 range?

I think that the next release should be either A Day at the Races or Sheer Heart Attack, mostly because they're personal favorites of mine. News of the World would be nice as well.

Now all I need is Rush to start releasing DVD-A's. The thought of 2112 in DVD-A makes my soooooooo happy.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Anyone have a recommendation for a good, reliable DVD-V/A player in the $700-1000 range?
Jim, most people feel that the Panasonic RP91 is the best pound for pound DVDA player available. Video wise and audio wise.

Also Toshiba is making more and more DVDA players that are reasonably priced but Toshiba players have had trouble reading some DVD's in the past.

There is also a Pioneer universal player available these days that plays SACD/DVDA. I think its the 74 model.

JohnG

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jim said:

is the first surround sound music DVD that I actually noticed a big jump in quality over regular CD's. And I'm only listening to the DTS track!!!
Note that A Night at the Opera has a 24/96 DTS track, not a DTS track with the usual compression. 24/96 DTS is new.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Jim, most people feel that the Panasonic RP91 is the best pound for pound DVDA player available. Video wise and audio wise.

Also Toshiba is making more and more DVDA players that are reasonably priced but Toshiba players have had trouble reading some DVD's in the past.>Note that A Night at the Opera has a 24/96 DTS track, not a DTS track with the usual compression. 24/96 DTS is new.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
The next Queen DVD-A? "II" and "A Day at the Races" seem the most logical choices, both for the complexity of the content and their relationship to ANATO (ADATR was a twin of sorts to it, and QII was, in my opinion, a prototype of what ANATO/ADATR would eventually be, right down to the epic operatic monster, "The March of the Black Queen" in this case.)

Aside from those two biggies, I'd love to have a DVD-A release of "Innuendo."

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jim, as someone who enjoys SACD even more than DVD-A, and I love both, I will recommend the Pionneer Elite DV-47A. Unless you already have SACD player, than listen to the experts on the HTF. :)
Queen: it seems to me that the two most obvious choices for another Queen title are:
News of the World- come on, it has We Will Rock You and We are the Champions. Not my favorite album (and the last one by them I like at all), but for mass appeal, those two songs alone would be huge. Also, It's Late would sound awesome.
Game- This album turned a lot of people into Queen fans. IMO, it's when they "jumped the shark," but it also boosted their career commercially.
I also feel that Night at the Opera is a great release. Tie with Sheer Heart Attack as my favorite Queen album, it's just so much fun, and the over-the-top vocals, arrangement, and production make this a great high-res surround experience.
If DVD-A is focusing on rock for commercial success, then here are the titles I would like most off the top of the head, and sticking to ones that may actually be possible (ie, I could wish for Dreamtheater all I want, but I know it ain't gonna happen):
King Crimson. Anything, oh God, please gimme Crimso in high-res. In the Court would be the most likely candidate, but I will give up my first born to the man who can make Discipline on DVD-A (or SACD) happen.
Frank Zappa? A long shot, I know, but some of that studio wizardry and those amazing rhythm section could be really great in DVD-A.
Led Zeppelin. Yeah, the single most successful hard rock band in the world, can we have that, please? IV would probably be the best candidate.
Black Sabbath. Lots of bass. Paranoid.
Yes, but I think they are planning to release Close to the Edge, so that's good.
The Beatles. Poor Beatles, getting ripped off in the digital market. I say it's time we make up for it. Does anyone have the guts to tackle and aggressive Sgt Pepper surround mix?

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor
I've been a Queen fan since I was a tyke. I think "A Night at the Opera" was a great choice. I do not own a DVD-A player, but I think about The Prophet's Song has the best of everything. It was the first song I played when I bought my new Yamaha receiver. It starts out with the wispy sound of wind and Mercury's haunting lyrics and then the rock just kicks in! I think it was a great choice for the first Queen DVD-A disc. As far as what's next, "News" was the first album I bought with my allowance, so I'm probably biased, but from a marketing standpoint, We Will Rock You/We are the Champions will be the most recognizable of all Queen songs, (Go to any sporting event.) Some could argue that Wayne's World has brought Bohemian Raphsody into a dead heat. As a Queen Fan though "Get Down Make Love" would be phenomenal in DTS and DVD-A. It's Late and Spread Your Wings are the best songs on the album IMO and wouold sound wonderful too.

How come they didn't continue to name their alums after Marx Brothers movies? Duck Soup anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks