What's new

The next phase of force feedback technology (1 Viewer)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Are you familiar with the term "cyber-dildonics"?
BTW, I cannot tell what exactly is going on in those pics (and movie). The website has no explaination I could find.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
They apparently have a pretty severe electric shock system attached to the controllers for a Playstation2. When the pad rumbles (in this game caused by being hit) it sends the electric shock to the player that was hit. That's why the players have random arm movements and are biting back the pain.
------------------
Bombardment Society - Member

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm sorry, but no. They have things wrapped around their arms that cut off the circulation so that it is harder to play. Thats why their veins are popping out. It is also very difficult to play a game with no feeling in your arm, which is probably why they have such difficulty playing it.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Huh?
I have to say - I am taken aback.
Why would ANYONE want to be shocked in a game?
Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Umm...just because they are making one doesn't mean that it was implemented in that video. If they are still making it, how would they be able to show a video of it? And how does it work? I assume its not being made for PS1, which is what the people are playing. I stick by my original assumption.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Basically the way it works is they have a modified controller that sends a current through a set of electrodes. Two bands for each arm (positive and negative). What it does is send pulses of current through your arms like it would the motor of the vibrator so you arm muscles flex like those exercise electrodes you can get now. That is why the one guys veins are popping out of his arms :) he's got the current set too high causing him to really flex hard which is most likely giving him quite a bit of pain. I have used a similar setup and its actually really cool. At lower currents it just tickles and feels like a very mild muscle spasm and the more current you push the more painful it gets. The idea really isn't new though, there is a video game in the James Bond film Never say Never Again that has exactly the same concept. The sensation is much more intense than just a rumble pack.
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on August 08, 2001 at 11:24 PM]

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Hmm I think I better explain what I was doing with a similar system before everyone thinks I'm wacko
tongue.gif

I was actually working on a body suit that had a number of electrodes in it hooked up to a PC to simulate touch. Basically a DIY VR suit, funky school project. :)
Dean
[Edited last by Dean Cooper on August 08, 2001 at 11:36 PM]

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Actually that was one of the proposed real world uses for it :) I should look in to marketing something like that.
Dean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks