The next Dragon Warrior Game?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Chris Bardon, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Ok, given that DW7 is one of the Best Console RPGs ever made (except for the ending), and sold about a bazillion copies (give or take a dozen), I'm kind of surprised that there's been no word on the sequel yet. When? What system? And most importantly, will they release it over here?

In the meantime, I'd really like to see the rest of the DQ games ported over here. 1-3 worked great on the GBA, and I'd like to see a decent version of 4 (where you can control your whole party in the last chapter). 5 and 6 have also never been released here, so it could make for a nice compilation.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Being a diehard fan of Dragon Warrior IV (I still have my original NES cartridge), I enjoyed VII quite a bit, although I still like IV better on the storyline. There is a DWIV Playstation remake using the DWVII engine in Japan that was scheduled to come over here (and you could control the other characters!!!). There was even a story on it in EGM, and an advertisement in the DWVII instruction booklet. However, Heartbeat (who developed DWVII), bailed out of the videogames industry. Enix US reps (before the US Enix employees were laid off after the Square merger) said that only Heartbeat knew the engine good enough to localize it for the US. Thus, no DWIV remake (many of us were very ornery about it).

DWVIII looks promising. I still hope for a DWIV remake of some sort, although, it still seems unlikely at least for the next few years.

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Damn, I can't believe I missed that gamespot page. I guess it was just my outside hope that it would be coming out for Xbox that kept me from checking...

I still have my DW4 cart, but have just never managed to finish it. I think that the battery backup was defective in it, because it kept deleting my game (that, or my brother did it way back when). Redardless, the fifth chapter just aggrivated me to no end by not being able to control all of my characters.

I remember hearing about the DW4 remake, and its cancellation. Personally, I think that the GBA would be the perfect place to port DW 4,5, and 6, since 1,2,and 3 worked so well.

5. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

Dragon Quest/Warrior 4 is my favorite of the series as well. I have the DQ4 remake, and its great - they added a series of optional quests after you finish the game that are pretty challenging.

DW7 was good, but didn't give me the satisfaction I got from the other ones.

My ranking of the series would be (from best to worst):
    4-3-5-2-7-1-6

6. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

The DW8 screens look great - but I hope they get rid of random encounters.

All games should get rid of these random encounters - it's an old remnant from the 8-bit era to get around hardware limitations, and it's pretty damn annoying.