What's new

The newest annoyance in children's footwear (1 Viewer)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
This reminds me of when roller blades took off and kids were wearing them everywhere. It'll pass eventually.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Mark, you know that ordinarily i'd be screaming at the top of my lungs right next to you, but in this case i've seen so few of these roller sneakers around that they're practically nonexistent, not really a problem.

Of course that's now, maybe that trend is slow getting to my area. ;)

I do see your point however about just wanting to walk around in public without being struck by preteen projectiles.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've seen them around here for quite some time now. They never used to bug me until recently. Within the course of 2 weeks I saw that incident at the Pizza place, the one who almost slammed into me at Wal-Mart, and the one who was flying through a crowded parking lot and looked like he was very shaky on them.

Since nothing bad has really happened, no one gives a shit, but I see so many instances where a potential major problem can happen. But like I said before, it's (unfortunately) going to take a major incident (like a kid getting hit by a car) to make people take notice - or for parents to take their kids 'skating' a little more seriously.

And the whole point of the thread is the 'New' shoes coming out with the super balls. These kids are now going to be bouncing around the stores. I've had kids bump into me when they aren't playing around. This just sounds like it will escalate the problem.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
and there were also issues with rollerblades and scooters. In my town, the kids would use the rollerblades on the tennis courts and tear them all up. They also used to rollerblade in the center of the town and cause problems with traffic. The cops had to patrol the tennis courts (and center of town) because it was a big issue.

Also, scooters were banned from public streets because of traffic issues as well.

So I think there should be a law against these shoes being used in stores and restaurants.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Or at the very least a policy in place by the managment of the establishments.

I mean not allowing small people to move at high rates of speed in highly crowded buildings should be a no brainer.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I think the proprietors of private businesses like stores and restaurants should be legally able to admit whomever they choose, regardless of how annoying you or I find their footwear. If it becomes a real problem and the management does not address the issue, I shall register my displeasure by ceasing my patronage of that particular establishment.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
??? Are kids in grocery stores with roller-shoes causing traffic accidents? Are they tearing up the aisles? Is this a big issue, like those incidents you mentioned that merited strong action?

I'm jealous of the kids with these shoes. Those would have been awesome when I was a kid!

I was watching them skate through LAX and around the CA Science Center plaza, waiting on the IMAX this weekend. They were having fun, and not causing any troubles. They weren't in my way, and I've got no beef with them.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well said. Mark (or anyone else) has no "right" to be free from annoyances. He can simply take his business elsewhere.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I'm having trouble seeing the difference between kids skating on these shoes and running around. They could also trip or run into someone while running. Would you outlaw running?

I suspect you're more interested in removing what annoys you (as the thread title indicates) than you are in kids tripping.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
If a child trips and Mark is not around to be annoyed by it, did the child really trip?

--
H

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, I meant that most parents will scold their child if they run in a store...and if not, I am not being unreasonable for being annoyed at someone who is allowing their child to run through that store.

But the problem here is, it seems like people aren't teaching these kids that these shoes aren't always to be used as toys. They shouldn't be used everywhere.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Have you ever been in the OAR DVD threads??? People there are ANNOYED at Pan and Scan...they want it dead because it annoys them.

I may seem unreasonable with my annoyances, but at least my annoyances are based in something serious. But I guess when everyone is on one side of an issue (i.e. OAR) it doesn't matter how much bitching you do because you'll never be viewed as unreasonable ;)

I totally get it. My views don't matter because a parent doesn't have the same view as I do. That's cool, I never said I wanted to have the same views as everyone else. That'd make me boring. :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

I am annoyed by pan-and-scan, and I want it dead because it annoys me. But I would never suggest or condone a law against it, as you did for roller-skate shoes in your earlier post.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
but video viewing preference has nothing to do with the law. Destruction, disruptive behavior, and possible liability are all issues that can happen with rollerskates and are all covered under the law, so there's every right for an establishment (as well as it's customers) to be protected with such a law.

There's no law that can force people into watching OAR DVD's. It's apples and oranges.

and p.s. Have you ever been in those OAR threads? I'm willing to bet that there are a TON of people (who are members here) that would support a law that forbids non-OAR material to be produced...hell, I'd even support it! ;) So who's willing to raise their unreasonable hand??? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks