What's new

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
This one is not so great but what makes it funny and bizarre is apparently Zoolander really is, no joke, one of Malick's favorite films.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I don't think I'm coming down with it...I am totally infected!
If only more of the population could be infected by Malick-itis.:)
The review of one noel aguirre only serves to torture;
envious, yes, as my copy remains in transit.:wacko:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I don't think Malick's work was ever really meant to appeal to a giant audience. In the 1970s his films fit with what was going on in cinemas but now...wow...it is amazing his films even make it into cinemas. I mean I think To the Wonder played for a week near me and Knight of Cups I think got 5 minutes into the first screening and they yanked it in favor of adding another screen for a superhero picture. Basically, if a Malick film makes it to a cinema near you see it quick because it won't be there long.

His films don't really align with what big audiences want to see but I mean they should at least work as counter programming. I mean someday this war is going to end...um...I mean this love of superheroes and explosions...and when it does maybe people will want to watch some more thoughtful and contemplative work...

Nah, who am I kidding. :popcorn:

Reactions: PMF

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It is my understanding that "The Tree of Life", "To the Wonder" and "Knight of Cups" were an intentional trilogy.
Without having had the benefit of yet seeing "Knight of Cups", I wonder if someone here at HTF could confirm this to be true or not?

This idea may or may not have been birthed from this article. Hard to say...but this quote:

The Knight of Cups (from here on Knight), along with The Tree of Life and To the Wonder, form a type of Kierkegaardian trilogy. Like Ingmar Bergman’s great trilogy (Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Silence), they have a deep thematic undercurrent uniting them. They are all quests for, or movements toward, divine grace in the midst of a not so graceful world of suffering and evil and disappointment and despair.

Comes from this article:

http://www.curatormagazine.com/trevor-logan/kierkegaard-in-l-a-terrence-malicks-knight-of-cups/

Reactions: PMF

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will say the man has bad taste in hats...

Malick in a hat.jpg

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I don't think Malick's work was ever really meant to appeal to a giant audience. [...]
But for those of us, those selective few;
to whom his work doth well appeal;
we shall forever and from this day forth,
be Knighted, be named and be known,
as The Mavericks of Malick.
'Tis a place that's near to Heaven;
and far from the land of bad;
a weightless wonder,
of Kierkegaard and cups;
forthwith we cannot contain our zeal.
Pity to those who malaise and malign,
for they shall live their days and wander
within their own thin red line.
Behold you Mavericks of Malick;
new worlds, new trees and a life,
filled with great and philosophical views.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Ah-h-h-h-h...my Criterion of "The New World" has finally arrived, as of yesterday.
No more spinning of the wheels nor Intro to Writing Workshops needed to while-away the hours.

There was no question as to how good it would look;
based, of course, on the fact that its a Criterion;
and that its a blue-sealed Director/Cinematographer approved edition ;
which was further benefited by an ever so accurate 4K review by Neil Middlemiss of the UK.

This is a keeper of keeps.
In no way, shape or form should anyone fear that double-dipping feeling.
If you love the work of Malick, or Lubezki, or this film as a whole,
I urge all who are on the fence to not hesitate at all;
even if its at the fullest market price.

Equal to the experiences of Capt. John Smith, himself;
this Criterion 4K offers a whole new world of visual and audible discoveries.
I was amazed as to how much more was revealed and elevated; abound with so many nuances of delight..
So perfect is this edition, that one might even find it hard to stay awake;
for this is nothing short of blissful beauty, which is furthermore fused with the music of Wagner and Horner,
delivering one to a most peaceful and surrendering state.

Again, this Criterion is a keeper of keeps.:cheers:

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I would like to buy this in this sale but it really bugs me that the theatrical cut is the worst in terms of detail/grain, and I usually prefer watching the theatrical cut of a movie. :(
(I have seen only the extended version of this)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I have recently seen all three versions on the Criterion disc, as well as seeing the theatrical version (the European version). I also have the previously issued New Line blu ray, which added footage to the theatrical version. Although the picture quality on the extended cut is best, the other two cuts aren't bad at all projected and definitely beat the New Line blu ray. This release is so well done - I think it is one of Criterion's very best - with really nice packaging and excellent supplements. I haven't had time to go through all of them yet, but have enjoyed the interviews with the actors, production designers, as well as the editors.

I feel that the extended version on the Criterion package to be far and away the most profound and moving. It is impressive that the editors managed to reconstruct the footage and sound so seamlessly. The enormous amount of extra footage adds to the atmosphere and romance, instead of pushing the narrative. It is now even more beautiful, graceful and hypnotic. I watched the extended cut a few weeks ago with two friends, who had never seen a Terrance Malick film before. They were absolutely entranced and declared that evening was one of the best film experiences they'd ever had! It didn't feel as if we had sat three hours. The extended cut also divides up the film into chapters, which works very well. For some reason, my receiver suddenly cut the sound during the final James Horner cue during the end credits. I double-checked the disc again this weekend after installing a hardware update and this time the sound didn't drop out. The differences between the theatrical and extended cut are documented here:

http://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=799765

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I don't know, I felt the extended cut dragged a bit too long.
And i don't say that due to the duration.
The Thin Red Line which is equally long is one of my favourite films.
New World is my least favourite Malick from the ones I've seen (Badlands, Days of Heaven, Thin Red Line, The Tree of life).
One element that I didn't like at all was the Mozart piano concerto that was used in those scenes.
I felt it was totally out of place there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks