The New Twilight Zone (80's version) coming to DVD this year? Looks like it!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Thomas Hart, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Thomas Hart

Thomas Hart Stunt Coordinator

Over at the "Mondo Digital" website, in their Upcoming Releases section, I noticed these new entries:

July 2004: "The Twilight Zone" (Season One) (1980s Series) (Image)

October 2004: "The Twilight Zone" (Season Two & Three) (1980s Series) (Image)

I thought this version of the show was very under-rated when it was on and I glad to see it finally coming to DVD (especially when it had names like Wes Craven and Harlan Ellison tied to it).

Hopefully, Image will release the original series in season sets at some point too.

2. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Well, I e-mailed Image. I'm sure if Gord and/or David L. put their minds to it, they can receive a response much faster than I can.

I've been wanting these forever. I've only gotten to see a handful of episodes in my life, so it would be excellent to own them. This series and Wonder Years, then my life would be complete!

3. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

4. Josh Simpson

Josh Simpson Supporting Actor

I would love these along with Amazing Stories

5. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    Fucking WOW. I never thought I'd see the day. Well, I'm all over it.

6. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Holy Freakin' Lordy! This is like one of my Holy Grails. I will be extremely psyched to get rid of my 20 year old betas!

Ric

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!!!! (Dances around the room naked)

Yeah, I'll try to get a response from Image about this today. Either way I'll get a note up quoting Mondo as the source. Thanks for the heads-up! [​IMG]

8. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

I just hope that first season remains intact and uncut. The first season was an hour long and consisted of two or 3 stories. Many of the episodes were butchered to fit into a half hour format when TNT picked up the series for reruns.

Ric

9. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Hey, guys...

Is Mondo Digital a pretty credible source?

Also: I had no idea the Lamberts were nudists.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Awesome!!!!!

11. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

Yikes... that'll be a big set. I just looked at the episode list on tvtome and saw that season 1 consisted of 59 episodes. That'll be a lot of discs if these really are the uncut hour-long episodes.

Season 2 and 3 have a combined total of 51 episodes.
    Was all of season 2 and 3 just half-hour eps?

Now we just need to get Amazing Stories!

12. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

The first season of New Twilight Zone was an hour-long that featured 2-3 different stories, so that's probably where the 59 figure comes from. Usually, the had one long episode that ran about a half an hour, and two shorter tales. Some of them were only about five-to-ten minutes long.

Not sure what the format the other two seasons were in, but I think the second season was pretty much the same as the first, as it also ran on CBS.

The third season might have been direct-to-cable or something, and might've been in half-hour eps like the original series.

13. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Haden, each episode that TV Tome lists there is not necessarily a full hour-long episode. Some, such as "Examination Day" are only 10 minutes long and, with commercials, two mini-episodes like these could fill a half hour.

Realistically, there are probably only 25-30 full shows. Still, I think it will be an expensive set, but a worthwhile one.

14. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been eagerly awaiting this set!

'Shadowman' is one of my favorite episodes! Along with 'Nightcrawlers' and 'A Small Talent for War'

~Jason

15. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

You're right. I wasn't paying attention to the airdates for each episode. So this really breaks down to 24 hour-long eps for season 1, 11 hour-long eps for season 2, and 30 half-hour eps for season 3. That's much more reasonable. [​IMG]

16. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

Actually, in some cases, the syndicated versions have LONGER versions of the stories. Some of them were expanded with outakes, and as you said, others were cut down.

This was because as aired on CBS, the stories had no set length. One week, it would be two half hour stories, another week a half hour story and two fifteen minutes ones, etc. They expanded some of the shorter ones.

This same thing happened with NIGHT GALLERY a decade earlier.

17. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I thought I asked this in a thread a long time ago, but couldn't find it with the search. Does the 80's series have an episode where there are guys in suits with no faces? Like a fencing suit. I can't remember much of the episode, maybe something where time has stopped or something. I just really remember the people with no faces.

18. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Kyle,

I can't remember the name. But, the episode stared Adam Arkin. And was about a couple who woke up one morning 1 hour in the future. And the story is that or surroundings(ie-buildings, trees, etc) are constantly having to be constructed every minute. The workers doing it are dressed in blue jumpsuites with blue masks covering their face.

19. JeffMc

JeffMc Supporting Actor

jeffmc
    Actually the second season contained a mix of hour-long episodes and half-hour episodes. CBS aired four hour-long episodes and the ratings continued to be poor so the show was pulled for several weeks. When it came back, it appears they had edited some unseen episodes down to half-hour episodes (maybe to see if the shorter format would be better in ratings) and aired those for 3 weeks. The ratings didn't improve with the shorter format so it was once again yanked off the air. Then, a couple of months after that, it was back as an hour-long show and eventually aired four more hour-long episodes (sporadically through the spring whenever they had an open spot to show one) before CBS finally gave up on it completely. So season 2 had 8 hour longs and 3 half-hour episodes (at least this is how they were originally aired).

20. Christian P

Christian P Stunt Coordinator

Lol, that's exactly the one episode I remember. Great news!