What's new

The New Three Stooges (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/18642

The New Three Stooges - The 'Complete Cartoon Collection' of the '60s Animated Show!
5-disc set with bonus CD of Stooge songs is coming this October
Posted by David Lambert
blackpixel.gif
7/01/2013
blackpixel.gif

Over the years, as live-action shorts of The Three Stooges have come to DVD, we've often been asked by our readers about why we haven't covered those releases. Our pat answer has been that if you delve into Stooge history, you find that the live-action shorts never actually had a formal TV program surrounding their airing...not on network, and not in syndication. Rather, the shorts were made available to programs to buy for syndication, but show in any format they wanted. If a local channel in your town wanted to put them together in a half-hour block, that's how you saw it. Other markets might have used the shorts as "filler" in the middle of the night, between the late movie and the late-late movie (or comparable ways of taking up a few minutes' worth of space, perhaps on a Sunday morning between programs). So, as we've told our readers who asked, we've never had an actual TV series called The Three Stooges to tie the DVD releases to, except for the '60s cartoon show The New Three Stooges. And we promised to bring news of a DVD release for that animated program to our site when and if it ever got announced. Well, it finally has! Here's an excerpt from the studio description:
[*]THE NEW THREE STOOGES featured animated cartoons with the voices of Stooges Larry, Moe and Curly Joe, as well as real footage 'wraparounds' of the three burlesque greats performing short skits to accompany the cartoons. Now, for the first time ever, this collection features all 156 cartoons, plus all 40 live action sequences in the 52 22-minute episodes as they originally aired. Perfect for collectors as well as the entire family, this special embossed package also includes a BONUS CD featuring 10 kids singalong songs and 10 Christmas songs performed by the Stooges.
[/list]The New Three Stooges - Complete Cartoon Collection is coming from Image Madacy Entertainment (a part of RLJ Entertainment), and it will be available on October 15th. The 5-disc set (with the aforementioned Bonus Full-Length CD with Sing-a-Long and Christmas Songs) will cost $29.98 SRP. Here's the packaging:

TheNewThreeStooges_Complete.jpg

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
rmw650 said:
I really liked the live action sequences in between the cartoons as those were pretty funny to watch, but the cartoons themselves were just awful, like the old L&H cartoons they made during or around this timeframe. Nevertheless, I'm sure Stooges fans are happy they're going to get a completed set of these live action sequences and cartoons in a few months time.
The cartoons themselves do pale in comparison to the "live action" shorts of years gone by. The live sequence is pretty good stuff, especially being in color. The only way you get color stooges is either colorized shorts (some of the newer efforts look fairly decent) or their only color movie, Snow White and the Three Stooges. Being a completist, I'm sure I'll snatch these up at that price point. I also figure at that price point there isn't any digital restoration, though. :(

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I bought the 2 collections that Rhino released several years ago. I can't wait to see them all.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to see this but also concerned about the quality if its poor I'll pass. Now if we could just get the Abbott and Costello complete cartoon show I'd really be happy.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
As they are releasing a music CD too, they must have done some licensing for this. Here's hoping their source material is good.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
JoeDoakes said:
As they are releasing a music CD too, they must have done some licensing for this. Here's hoping their source material is good.
I would expect something similar to the Rhino DVDs. Comedy 3 (which apparently has the masters) has done several joint releases with Madacy (I still find it bizarre that they have merged with Image Entertainment -- that's kind of like Goodtimes merging with Criterion, but I digress) one of which picked up with the New 3 Stooges cartoons chronologically where the Rhino DVDs left off. As far as the CD, I hope it at least fills some gaps: I picked up a Three Stooges Christmas CD through Amazon, licensed through Comedy 3, which was a bit of a disappointment as it included some (but not all) of the tracks from Six Hapy Yuletide Songs (later reissued as Christmas Time With The Three Stooges on Rhino) along with a couple cuts from Madcap Musical Nonsense. I certainly would have preferred to see both released in their entirety.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
When I was a kid in the 80's, I had a public domain VHS tape which featured some episodes of "The New 3 Stooges". Getting this will be a no-brainer for me! A few months ago I purchased the "Giant 600 Cartoon Collection" released by Mill Creek which included about 56 N3S cartoons. However, most of which did not include live action segments. I'm very much looking forward to owning this in its entirety.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Just a reminder that this is being released tomorrow. I have the previous Rhino releases, but I'll gladly replace those with this set.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I just watched the first episode on the new set and the quality of the cartoon was pretty rough. These have not been remastered in any way, shape or form. All the cartoons appear to be here, but they are not in chronological order! Not a real big deal for me since the cartoons all pretty much follow the same forumla, but since each episode has the episode number right on the title card, how hard would it have been to put them in order?!? Anyway, it's nice to have them all in one package and the bonus CD is nice.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
It appears that Madacy used either the tape masters from which the 1984 – 1987 Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series came, or the VHS tapes themselves, but not original archive material.Looking at the DVD collection’s table of contents, the toons are theme-grouped and ordered 99.5% identical to the Embassy VHS collections. (The 1/2-percent difference being the inclusion of # 150 “Super Everybody,” which was not in the Embassy series.)THE NEW 3 STOOGES - Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Brent S said:
It appears that Madacy used either the tape masters from which the 1984 – 1987 Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series came, or the VHS tapes themselves, but not original archive material.Looking at the DVD collection’s table of contents, the toons are theme-grouped and ordered 99.5% identical to the Embassy VHS collections. (The 1/2-percent difference being the inclusion of # 150 “Super Everybody,” which was not in the Embassy series.)THE NEW 3 STOOGES - Embassy Home Entertainment VHS series
Thanks, Brent!

Hope you don't mind me linking to this: here's Brent's rundown of the contents as posted on ThreeStooges.net :

http://threestooges.net/forums/index.php/topic,5083.msg42480.html#msg42480

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I had a bad feeling that the quality was going to be bad. I'm going to pass with a faint hope that a better quality release may someday happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks