What's new

the new splintered htf has to go! (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Sorry if I repeat something, got to this thread a little late.

I think the hardware forum needed some division but not this much. I aggree with Steve, but I'd condense his signal source and processing into one category. I could go for 4 categories in hardware.

Electronics/Amps

Speakers

Subs

Accessories/Tweaks

I really dislike the individual manufacture thing in the TV section. If your brand isn't very popular it is very unlikely you are going to get any useful help. Also, that forum didn't have a lot of traffic, it wasn't hard to keep up with it all in one forum.

I think splits should only happen when a need arrises. And then only one or two splits should happen, if that solves the replies getting barried, then leave it be. If it doesn't then consider another division.

I think a big key is ambiguity has to be limited. People have to know where their post belongs. If you narrow the categories too much (or offer more than one place for the post which the main hardware section currently encourages) you more frequently just don't know where to post.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
As long as the subdivisions gel into something static and always findable at the same URL I have no problem with it.

Using Opera 6.0, I can create a folder of bookmarks, one per area, and load the 10-15 subdivisions with one click. The pages stay inside Opera and don't nuke the Windows task bar. Then I just browse through the subdivided areas one at a time.

Doesn't take any longer than before, really. I already do this with the 6 or so areas I read today.

People using other browsers though will probably mind more, having to click through those 10 or 15 areas the normal way would quickly drive me away from here.

Gary_E

Second Unit
I'm amused at the amount of replies saying it's too difficult or time consuming to find something now on HTF.

It seems no more difficult than finding any piece of information on the web.

-Gary

Mark Jany

Auditioning
The issue isn't the ease of finding a specific piece of info, that's easy with a search. The dilemna is how to keep it convenient for general browsing ("what's new" or "what's the interesting argument du jour") without drowning in the post volume.

It seems clear that categories help with specific queries but can hinder the general interest browser. That's why I was wondering if posts could be seen in both the general area and a subcategory, and perhaps only stored longterm in the subcategory.

Mark

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Packer,

Even though I think allowing membership to vote on this good, I think it would have been better to give us the option of something in the middle rather than an either or choice. Because I believe the best of both worlds is somewhere in the middle with a smaller number of subsections than the large number you current have.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't like the breakdown of the TV and Projectors Area here at HTF. When the subject has to do with an HDTV-ready RPTV, some people will post in RPTV while others will post in HDTV Area.
Which is correct? Personally, I'd choose RPTV, and use HDTV Area for discussions of HD programming issues, reception issues, set-top boxes, etc. But others may not. Thus, you have to check two areas for one type of post.

Steve Owen

Second Unit
If you look at the voting so far, the forum members are really split. I just hope that the admins don't look at the voting as "Ok... 568 YES and 547 NO... looks like we keep it the way it is".

What the results tell me anyway is that no matter which way they go there will be a lot of people dissapointed in the results. My feeble recommendation to them is to try to strike a compromise. Yes, keep it splintered, but reduce the number of different topics. Try to really rationalize the forums and sub-forums from the ground up rather than splitting in a piece-meal fashion when needed.

-Steve

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
In principle I like the idea of subdivisions within groups. The HTF has a huge membership and a general 'Hardware' forum was inefficient for two reasons:
1. As a poster, your message quickly fell down since there are so many other people posting in this (the most popular) forum.
2. As a reader, there were just too many posts in this forum, with no organization whatsoever.
Having said that, I have two problems with the new subdivisions:
1. I find them too specific. It's approaching the level of another forum that breaks things right down to different brands, which is just way too excessive. How about something like:
Preamps/Processors/Receivers/Amplifiers - these are all filling the same need essentially and they run the gamut from entry level (receivers) to high end (pre/pros)
Audio Sources - CD players, CD recorders, SACD, DVD-Audio, MiniDisc, tape decks, turntables - if it produces and is used for AUDIO only, it goes here
Video Sources - DVD players primarily, but also VCRs I suppose and services such as TiVO. If it produces and is used primarily for VIDEO, it goes here.
Speakers - includes all speakers and subwoofers. Obviously, they get their own section. If it is a speaker in any sense, it goes here.
And the Rest - covering things like remotes, cables, tweaks etc.
Also, while I'm at it :) , I don't think there is a need for the separation of TVs into a whole different forum. The section doesn't get that much traffic to warrant it, IMHO. How about putting a Video Displays category in Hardware? The subdivision of RPTV/FPTV/Direct View etc. takes it a bit too far. I suppose there could be a need for a seperate HDTV section, but that's all.
2. But, however the group is subdivided, I don't like how you can still post in the general Hardware forum. That shouldn't be allowed. Just taking a quick glance I see a whole bunch of posts about receivers - but why are they not in the receiver section?? Now I have to visit two places to get all the information (potentially). By having:
Preamp/Processors/Receivers/Amplifiers
Audio Sources
Video Sources
Video Displays
HDTV
Speakers
And the Rest
You've pretty much covered all Hardware aspects - so there is no need for the general forum anymore.
Anyway, just my thoughts... :)
/Jeff

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Compromise, Compromise, Compromise.

This is what some of us have been saying all along. The truth is SOME subdivision is probably needed but the problem is HTF currently has simply too many. Pare down the sections and I think most members will be OK with the layout.

Neil Weinstock

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin B wrote:

I think splits should only happen when a need arrises. And then only one or two splits should happen, if that solves the replies getting barried, then leave it be. If it doesn't then consider another division.
That deserved to be repeated. Only split exactly as necessary. Split again if the need is demonstrated. Too much splitting is likely to destroy certain topics, because they won't have critical mass of browsers to keep the discussion going. See HomeTheaterSpot for an example.

Also, nearly any split is problematic, so minimizing splits minimizes the chances for screwing up. For example, I have a big problem with splitting video and audio sources, because DVD players (especially when you factor in DVD-A and/or SACD) clearly straddle both categories. Oh, and DVD players also happen to be the most-discussed source component.

Likewise, I can't understand splitting Amps and Pre/Pros, nor can I understand Speakers and Subwoofers. They are both part of the same subsystem, and should be discussed together.

I think I could tolerate a minimalist split of the hardware group as follows:

Amps/Pre-Pros

Speakers/Subs

All Audio and Video sources

Miscellaneous

And that is plenty.

I have little problem with keeping display devices completely separate, but again a minimalist approach must be taken to splitting that area as well.

IMNSHO.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Gee guys - bitch, bitch, bitch! We're all sure that whatever is done, someone won't be happy. live with it.

I feel like a total jerk for ever suggesting that they make some changes in the first place, even though I was not the only one to do so.

I am organized. I am not a total 'neat freak' but I do have probably way too many categories for my daily life for most members. On a side note, several years ago I got a look at the AOL screen and said to myself that it was just way, way too cluttered with junk.

Over the years that I have been here I have consistantly noticed that whenever I got to a section, the posts since my last visits were all on the first page, except for the hardware section. When SVS came into the picture, it just got worse. I don't want to hear that I need to adjust my PC's screen size, that is not the problem.

What is going to happen to the poll, (and I am sorry if this upsets the owners) is that the replys are going to be from the extremists. Just like radical right and left wing politicians. The poll won't get anywhere near 10k, and when it is closed, those that didn't vote are going to complain.

The desire to cross-post is going to exist no matter what sections exist. I realise that this sounds like everything should be in one section, but having all of the posts for every section of this entire site on one huge page would be way out of line too.

If I remember correctly the TV section only showed up after there were too many TV posts in the hardware section. There were complaints then too, but I think that everyone would now agree that having a TV section is a good idea. (Maybe the TV section should be moved back into a sub-section of hardware).

You see what I am getting at here? No one is going to win. (Ok, maybe I would if they let me make the final decisions).

As it looks right now, I do see the need for having a 'general' section that is not 'hardware' specific. If the writer knows that his/her post is going to 'cross' then that is where it should be. Everything cannot be catagorized so easily.

That was my rant. There are some great suggestions here, and IMHO, some not so great ones. I'd rename hardware to 'Other Hardware', keeping TV on the main page and adding two new sections, one for speakers/subs and another for cables/interconnects. I can already hear the arguments against this, but...

Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks