the new splintered htf has to go!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin T, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i don't know if anybody else likes it but i hate the way they are setting up the "new" htf with all these subcategories. for christ sakes...patrick sun will have his own area if they keep it up!

kevin t

2. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

Try this post in the Forum Feedback section.

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Kevin:

Change is a difficult thing to go thru I know. But I do believe that we should give this a chance before we go taking it back out again.

Parker

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I hate it too, Huge step backward.

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Ok,

No one is even giving this a chance to work at all. We are going to keep it for now and see how it works out.

Parker

6. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I like it. It's more to look thru if you're interested in everything. At the same time it's easier to find exactly what you are looking for. [​IMG]
    Jon

7. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Where? What? How? Why?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Please tell me what you're all talking about. It all looks the same to me.

8. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

Are the posts beneath the sub-categories "general" posts, or the older posts from before the break-down into separate areas?

9. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

I don't like it either. Too many places to look at if I casually want to read what's going on. I thought the groupings before were just fine... if not already a bit too splintered. I find it especially unnecessary now that the search function works so well (since the server upgrade).

This change will pretty much keep me from reading the Hardware and TV sections.

-Steve

10. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I see what everyone's talking about now. The reason I didn't notice is that I use the dropdown 'go' bar - this just lists all the forums and makes it easy for me to pick one and go there. No probs as far as I'm concerned.[​IMG]

11. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

It seems to me that this will be not so good for the browser but better for people who are actually researching a purchase.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

For newbies, the split is great. For the old-timers, splitting up the hardware into so many distinct categories makes them (and me) less likely to actively participate in the discussions.
    Since I'm an old-timer, it was nice to peruse the hardware section because, while not everything would catch my eye, something everyday would catch my eye, and now, with the splintered categories, the odds of catching something interesting in the hardware section has been reduced heavily.
    I only speak for myself. [​IMG]
    And let me add one more thing:
    If it were up to me, I would have splintered off the hardware sub-group as need dictated it. To me, that just means creating a "Subwoofer" subgroup, and leaving the rest of the hardware section alone for the time being.

13. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

Personally, I like the sub-categories. It's especially helpful when you are looking to buy something and the search feature doesn't always turn up what you want.

14. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Wow, I was expecting the worst after I read this thread....
    From my perspective it is neither good nor bad, just different.
    I think in general this will help more than hurt. Good call, Parker. Stick it out for awhile and see what happens. As always, GREAT job on the board. It is appreciated!!
    Tim

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

No problem with the subcategorization.

I just wish it were possible to get more involved discussions happening in the "Hardware" and "TVs and Projectors" sections going. Sure, a lot of posts are by persons contemplating a new purchase, or who are seeking very specific advice about very specific issues related to equipment.

But I'd like to see more topicality in the discussions taking place in those sections.

16. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I have no problem with the subcategories either. I find that its easier to view them broken up because it doesn't go on forever (although it might as they fill up).

One question I do have for Parker is the splitting up of the TV and Projector area. Is it your intention that people with HDTV (RPTV, direct view, or projector) use this category to talk about their sets or is it mainly for HDTV hardware like the DISH 6000 receiver?

Patrick

17. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I hate to bad mouth the change without having given it the chance, but I can't stand it! [​IMG] One of the great things about the hardware area is that it makes me aware of products I wouldn't have otherwise heard of or considered for demo or purchase. Now I run the risk of not hearing about the great new DVD player (for example) out there simply because I'm not in the market for a player and thus not actively surfing that area. On top of that, my (and others like me) decision to not surf that area prevents a newbie to home theater from benefiting from my knowledge and experience.

18. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

I hate to disagree, especially with my fellow Omaha HT fan, Ron, but I like the change. Hardware was getting so big I never bothered to go there any more.

Let's give it a chance.

Deane

19. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I love it!
    Hardware was a joke before, with posts being buried in a matter of hours. I don't mind using search once in a while, but not every time I want to see a post I responded to a couple of hours ago. Now at least I con look in the DVD section for DVD player info, and ignore the rest if I want to. The same goes for the TV areas.
    [​IMG]

20. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Parker, I don't care for it for most of the reasons mentioned. I will give it a chance but think that the initial feedback should be important to you as well- before people just LEARN to like/live with it.

I realy think Jah-Wren Ryel sp? hit a great point with his input. Best of both worlds if it could be done. Let the member select a view and store it with a cookie.