The new Sony SACD multi-channel players...anyone played with one yet?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Hegna, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Just curious if anyone's seen one of these 5 disc changers yet. After reading some of the reviews of SACD in Stereophile, I am eager to jump into SACD.
    I would rather have JUST and SACD player, but if it's DVD compatible, no problem. I would also rather have a single disc unit vs. multi-changer but the 9000ES looks to be the only option available here, minus the multi-channel decoding.
    Will anyone other than Sony be able to produce DSD players, since they invented it? I saw a Pioneer that has both DVD-A and SACD, but it's MSRP is $6k!
    Jeremy

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeremy, I still believe that the vast majority of our SACD players will be coming from Sony and Philips/Marantz for some time to come. That said, I assume you are referring to the Sony SCD-CE775. This is Sony's first budget SACD player with a typical street price of $350 USD. Oade Bros. and J&R Music World sell it for a bit less. It's a five-disc carousel changer. I saw this player in a local store and was not impressed with the build quality. However, without trying to sound like a snob, I am used to Sony ES components. The 'CE775 looks and feels like your standard Sony mass-market component. I detected little difference in build quality between it and the Sony CDP-CE375 carousel CD changer that sells for $130, for example. Although I haven't heard the 'CE775 yet, someone on Audio Asylum, who owns it and the SCD-C333ES stereo SACD changer and whose opinion I very much respect, said that the 'CE775 is lacking when it comes to stereo SACD and CD performance. He was impressed with multi-channel SACD playback, however.
    As for single-disc audio-only units. You will have two options from Sony. The SCD-XA777ES will be out in September and will retail for $3000. As you can probably guess, it will be Sony's new flagship SACD player. In addition, Sony will supposedly release the SCD-XE670 single-disc unit with a retail price of $300 in September. I expect the 'XE670 to be very similar to the 'CE775 performance-wise. Crutchfield has the 'XA777ES on its web site and is taking pre-orders, but does not show the 'XE670 yet.
    Sony will have three multi-channel SACD/DVD players coming out soon, two of which will be single-disc units. The DVP-NS500V will be an interlaced player and will sell for around $300. The DVP-NS900V will be a progressive scan player and will sell for around $1000. Sony will also be offering the DVP-NC650V five-disc interlaced changer for around $400. These three players are shown on Crutchfield's web site, and they are taking pre-orders.
    I don't follow Philips/Marantz products as closely, but I believe the Marantz SA-12 multi-channel SACD player will be coming out soon. It is an audio-only unit. I would expect a Marantz multi-channel SACD/DVD player to be on the way. Philips has had the SACD-1000 multi-channel SACD/DVD player ($2000 retail) out for awhile, but it has only garnered mixed reviews. Philips is supposed to be releasing a lesser expensive multi-channel SACD/DVD player in the near future from what I have read.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

"Sony will have three multi-channel SACD/DVD players coming out soon, two of which will be single-disc units. The DVP-NS500V will be an interlaced player and will sell for around $300. The DVP-NS900V will be a progressive scan player and will sell for around $1000. Sony will also be offering the DVP-NC650V five-disc interlaced changer for around $400."
    Of these, the NS900V looks most appealing. I would like to buy a unit as close to the 9000ES in build quality as possible. I'm not interested in "the mass market" feel, like you, not to sound snobby...but my past luck with Kenwoods, Technics, Panasonic mass-market products hasn't been great. I would like to invest in something I will use for several years and would be warrantied if somehting was to happen.
    I am willing to invest up to $1500 for the "right" SACD/CD player. I haven't yet added a stand alone CD player as I feel the Denon 2800(DVD) does an incredible job as a transport...Denon 5800 provides the DACs. I do know that there is another level of CD performance that the 2800 is unable to provide, so the route I will go is a good SACD player. I'll keep my eyes on the subject for the next while....I'm in no hurry with DVD-A and SACD in their infancy, patience will pay off. The Marantz line also sounds intriguing...I just purchased a pair of MA-700 mono block amps from them, yesterday. They won't be delivered for another couple of weeks, but in the showroom they were nothing buy solid and sweet to the ear.
    Thanks for the info
    Jeremy

4. Darryl_B

Darryl_B Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,
    In another post about a similar topic, someone posted a link to Crutchfields website ad for a new Sony SCD-C222ES 5-disc Multichannel SACD/CD player. I checked it out as I too might be interested in a SACD player. The unit will apparently retail for about $800.00. With ES build quality and better SACD D/A converters, this might be what you're looking for.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Darryl, you said:
    quote: In another post about a similar topic, someone posted a link to Crutchfields website ad for a new Sony SCD-C222ES 5-disc Multichannel SACD/CD player.[/quote]
    That "someone" would be me. [​IMG] Anyway, I too am eagerly anticipating the release of the 'C222ES. I am torn as to which multi-channel SACD player to get, if I get one at all. I would like the convenience of a carousel changer and am considering the 'CE775, 'C222ES, and 'NC650V. Currently, I have a Sony DVP-C670D DVD changer and a Sony CDP-CA80ES CD changer and am short of rack space, so it would be nice if a multi-channel SACD changer could replace one of these components. The reason I have both Sony changers now is that the 'C670D isn't much of a CD player. Anyway, the 'C222ES might be a good enough CD player to replace the 'CA80ES. On the other hand, the 'NC650V could replace the 'C670D, but it will probably be lacking in the audio department relative to the 'C222ES. The 'CE775 probably wouldn't replace the 'CA80ES since it wouldn't be as good a CD player. So, with the 'CE775, I would probably just have one more component lying around. It will likely come down to the 'C222ES and 'NC650V, depending on how much I want to spend. I have no problems whatsoever with the 'C670D as a DVD player or the 'CA80ES as a CD player. I guess if the 'C222ES were a better CD player, I would be set. We shall see.
    ------------------
    My:
    [Edited last by KeithH on August 20, 2001 at 12:08 AM]

6. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

I've had my (trailer trash) Sony CE 775 for almost a month now, and like it very much.
    My SACD selection is small so far (7 titles-2 multichannel).
    Coupled with my Denon 3300, and Paradigm Studio Reference 100's the music is much better than ordinary CD.
    Very happy with the Low Budget Sony 775.
    I'm hoping more Classic rock titles will be remastered and released soon. (Hendrix/Pink Floyd etc.....)
    Also have the Pany 91 for DVDA, and that too kicks ass.
    Both bases covered for high resolution audio.
    CC Rider
    ------------------

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chris, glad to hear you have been pleased with the 'CE775. It is still a consideration for me, and I wouldn't classify it as "trailer trash". [​IMG] I too am equipped for both new formats, but only for stereo SACD. I have a Sony SCD-777ES in the home theater and an SCD-C333ES in a second system. As for DVD-Audio, I have a Technics DVD-A10 in the home theater, which I presume is very much like your 'RP91 minus progressive scan output. Both formats are great and a noticeable improvement over CD.
    ------------------
    My:

8. Mark F Hall

Mark F Hall Agent

I have had my 775 for a week now and it sounds great.
    I have 2 multi-channel discs (Billy Joel-The Stranger & Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow) so far it compares favorably with DVD-Audio. I wish they had included a sampler. Circuit City had a sampler with James Taylor, Mozart, Miles Davis and Roger Waters(Live) in 5.1 SACD.
    Mark
    ------------------

9. Harrison Shinn

Harrison Shinn Stunt Coordinator

Harrison Shinn
    I've had my SCD-CE775 for almost a week now and am very happy with it. I sort of went crazy buying quite a few discs and haven't had time to listen to all of them thoroughly. So far I've purchased the following discs:
    Jeff Beck: Blow By Blow (Multi-channel)
    Dave Brubeck: Time Out
    Jerry Goldsmith: The Film Music of Jerry Goldsmith (MC)
    Bernard Herrmann: The Film Scores
    Billy Joel: The Stranger (MC)
    Billy Joel: 52nd Street (MC)
    Journey: Arrival
    My Fair Lady, Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
    Mozart: Sinfonia Concertante - Concerto K. Anh. 56 (MC)
    Mike Oldfield: Tubular Bells (MC)
    Stravinsky: Le Sacre Du Printemps - L'oiseau De Feu
    James Taylor: Hourglass (MC)
    Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture (MC)
    Wagner: Great Orchestral Excerpts From "The Ring of the Nibelungs"
    The discs that I HAVE listened to are the GOLDSMITH disc, BLOW BY BLOW, TUBULAR BELLS, THE STRANGER, 1812, HOURGLASS, WAGNER and TCHAIKOVSKY.
    Out of the multi-channel discs, the only one that sounds better in 2-channel is the Jeff Beck disc, which is an older recording. There isn't much bass at all on this disc, but it's still fantastic. TUBULAR BELLS is 4 channel but it's still very satisfying.
    I had to buy another DB-25 to RCA female connector to connect the player to my receiver (The Onkyo TX-DS989). I also have the Technics A-10 DVD-Audio player and am quite happy with both formats!
    Cheers!
    Harry
    ------------------
    i'm not policing what you think and dream...
    -Tori Amos "Concertina"

10. Kelly Scott Rickards

Kelly Scott Rickards Stunt Coordinator

I believe Philips is going to release the SACD 962 soon...
    I have been trying to get a link to this player, but from what I understand is it is a single DVD/multichannel SACD player, has the Faroujda FLI2200 deinterlacer chip and will retail for under 800 smackers...
    If all that is true (and I belive it is) the Philips player will be a formidible product to say the least...