What's new

The new Sony DCS-W1 (1 Viewer)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting to get my hands on one of these bad boys for over a couple months now and they finally came out today. I was also looking at the Nikon 4300, the upcoming Nikon 4200, Canon 410, A80 and S1. I almost went with the S1, but decided to get something that would fit in my pocket. The reviews for the Sony looked good, so I decided on that one. First impressions of this camera are fairly good. Nice compact size, metal case, 5MP, very quick response time, and oh yeah, it takes some pretty good pictures. Im no professional photographer not even close, but I think the few pics I took just messing around are pretty good. Anyone else planning on getting one of these? If so, I would recommend them.
Sony DCS-W1
Here are some pics

EDIT: I noticed that the pics I put on my link above are less detailed than they actually are. They must have been downsized or lost some resolution when I uploaded them so take them with a grain of salt. I was able to find a link to some better samples here

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Our daughter in D.C. asked for camera suggestions in that price range and small size. After checking the reviews I went to Best Buy & fell in love with the Sony DSC-W1. I especially like its large display.

The DSC-W1 is selling like hot cakes. The Best Buy here in OKC received 10 of the cameras and sold 8 of them in 24 hours, even though there wasn’t one of the cameras on the display rack.

The Best Buy in D.C. received 25 of the cameras & sold all of them in one day!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
The DSC-W1 looks like a nice camera but I have one big qualm about that camera: it uses Sony's own proprietary Memory Stick Pro format, which means you will have to start hunting around for flash memory cards for this camera.

Somehow, I'd wish at least Sony would support the Secure Digital (SD) format, mostly because you can find SD memory cards fairly easily nowadays.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

I don't understand. Are they planning on discontinuing the memory sticks or something? What am I missing? The sticks work great for me since I have a Sony laptop that they plug right into.
Anyways, I'm taking a trip up to my friends ranch this weekend and hope to have some more pics that I can show here on the new HTF photo gallery instead of my msn groups page that degrades the pic quality. So far I am loving this camera!:emoji_thumbsup:

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

In your case, that would be a plus, given you're using all-Sony equipment.

I still have my concerns about the general availability of Memory Stick Pro flash memory cards, since not that many digital cameras use this type of flash memory. The vast majority of digital cameras either use CompactFlash or Secure Digital (SD) format for flash memory cards, and both CF and SD cards are available at most stores. Mind you, a good old Froogle search can get you several good sources for Memory Stick Pro cards online. :)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

Yes, it uses Sony's Memory Stick Pro as well as Sony's Memory Stick. You should have no problem finding either of these cards.

I have a Sony video camera that uses the Memory Sticks, a Canon camera that uses Compact Flash cards and a Nikon that uses SD cards.

Even if they all used the same type of card I wouldn't disable any of the cameras by taking the memory card out to use in another camera, although it would be nice to have them as backup cards at times.

I learned a long time ago to get a universal USB 2.0 card reader for the computer so you can read about 8 different types of cards. No problem!

Here's a link to a universal card reader that's similar to the one I have:

Universal USB 2.0 Card Reader/Writer

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My beef with Memory stick is that it costs double the price of CF in large sizes. Of course, I have the same beef with SD.

That said, if there was a camera I really wanted, I wouldn't let media stand in the way.

Saul R

Grip
I recently purchased the W1's innards twin; the P100 (for admittedly petty reasons -- a couple of additional scene modes). So far I’ve been very satisfied with its performance. Particularly, I’ve been really happy with it ability to take pictures on a whim and without delay. Even, its movie capabilities are adequate. The only negative has been some “softness” at slow shutter speeds due to what I believe is an overly aggressive noise suppression.. However, even though I still find shooting with my manual-focus 35mm camera more fulfilling, it has made my introduction to digital rather easy. Enjoy!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Michael St. Clair, you wrote:

One thing I'm really bothered about is why did Olympus go their own way with newer-style flash memory cards by using the xD format (which is primarily used by Olympus and Fuji digital still cameras) compared with the far more common Secure Digital (SD) format.

But getting back on topic, :) the DCS-W1 is generally a pretty good camera. However, getting one is kind of hard, though. :frowning:

Keith M.

Second Unit
I was considering buying the Sony DCS-V1. Are there many differences between the V1 and W1? Besides the form factor....

Thanks in advance...

Keith M.

Second Unit
I was considering buying the Sony DCS-V1. Are there many differences between the V1 and W1? Besides the form factor....

Thanks in advance...

Shawn C

Screenwriter
The Nikon 4300 takes some FANTASTIC images. It's a little older model, but I had one before my DSC-F828.

IMHO, it's the best small camera Nikon has available. I also liked it because it used CompactFlash (Type 1 only)

Sometimes I like it better than my DSC-F828 due to the easier portability. You can't go wrong with it, and it's reasonably priced!

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

I checked out both the DSC-W1 and the DSC-V1 Wednesday at Best Buy. Here are some of the differences:

The W1 was $399.99 and the V1 was $499.99.

The W1 uses rechargeable AA batteries and the V1 uses a proprietary rechargeable battery (InfoLithium). Which means if you get in a jam you may use any type of AA battery in the DSC-W1.

Although the W1 was smaller than the V1, the W1 has a much larger 2.5” LCD screen compared to the V1’s 1.5” LCD screen. Both LCD screens have 123,000 pixels but I definitely prefer the larger screen on the DSC-W1 and consider it a major factor in choosing between these two cameras.

The W1 has a 3X optical zoom and the V1 has a 4X optical zoom.

I’m sure there are other differences to consider. To me I’d much rather purchase the DSC-W1. I just love that large LCD screen, even if it does have the same number of pixels.

Saul R

Grip

...and dont forget the V1's "Hologram AF" for low light photography and its ability to set Aperture or Shutter priority modes.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Keith, as Saul points out, the V1 has some of the features that you would find in a prosumer camera.

Perhaps my preference for the DSC-W1 is based on a different intended use than yours. I prefer to use a digital SLR (Canon 10D) whenever possible, but carry a subcompact in my pocket for those “Look! There’s a tornado in front of us!” shots when you don’t have your system camera available.

For that reason I don’t have as great a need for features like aperture or shutter speed priority in a backup carry anywhere camera. But if it is going to be your only digital camera then you may have a greater need for those features.

Keith M.

Second Unit
I went to BestBuy and after all my research on the W1 and V1, I ended up falling in love with the Sony DSC-T1 when I saw them all in person!!

So my first digital camera is now the T1. I realized I was more interested in size/portability than prosumer features. I really didnt have to sacrifice any features for this form factor...I ended up also purchasing an extra battery and a 256mb duo pro memory stick. Im only on page 40 of the manual, but am very impressed with what I have tried.

In the near future, I will be purchasing the sony photo printer w/ the screen (DX7?)...

Now somebody tell me how the heck to post my pictures of my theater!!

:D :D

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Keith:

If you are wanting to post pictures of your HT just go to our theaters page and use the Members's Galleries page and post them from there.

You just need to register and you will get an email back saying you can log in. Then log in, click on the create an album link and then choose the add pictures from the pull down menu. From there you can upload your pictures to the gallery.

Parker

Keith M.

Second Unit
Parker:

Thanks for the help, I will be doing that shortly.
:D

1 question for the camera pros here:

For the HTF gallery 90k filesize limit, which quality setting should I be using on the Sony DSC-T1?

EricB

Agent

Both cameras have their own merits, but the advantages of the V1 over the W1 are more prominent and the V1 was designed to be as close as possible to a professional camera, especially with its more flexible manual focus options. Another big plus for the V1 is the presence of a hot shoe for external flash.

And by the way, the larger LCD of the W1 has the same number of pixels with the smaller LCD of V1, meaning a clearer display would be exhibited by the V1.

Take a look at this side-by-side comparison of the two cameras: dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=sony_dscv1%2Csony_dscw1&show=all]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks