The New Shanling SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry Klawiter, Oct 24, 2002.

1. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, cool, indeed! I wonder how much it will go for. The Shanling CD player sells for around $2000 here in the US. Also, I wonder if the SACD player will upsample CDs as the original CD player does.
    By the way, I love this statement at the top of the Shanling link:

3. Mark Davenport

Mark Davenport Stunt Coordinator

Drool, I want one now

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here are some more photos of the new Shanling SACD/CD player. You can also see the new Shanling tube monoblock power amp. The amp has its own remote control and volume control. No preamp needed.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, I've seen that picture. That's some sweet-looking gear. I want that SACD player! However, I am not going to spend to the coin right now to get it. Oh well. Life goes on. [​IMG]

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The Shanling SACD player is said to be a prototype only. It's making the rounds at the various audio/HT shows around China, and Shanling is looking at responses from show attendees to guage interest.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, out of curiosity, where are you getting this information? I noticed that the SACD player pictured on the Chinese web site looks just like the CD player, except that there is an obvious SACD logo on it. Hopefully they will release an SACD player and it will look like the one pictured. It would also benefit Shanling to show this player in the US and Europe in order to garner more feedback. I'll be watching this one.

8. Jerry Klawiter

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,
    The information that I have came from the link above. According to the page, the SCD-T200 SACD/CD player is not in production, and it's being shown around in audio/HT shows around China. In fact, the player on display is the only one available. This is just my guess but I think you will see it in production very soon, otherwise why would Shanling list the player on its own website?
    [​IMG]

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, thanks. One dealer in my area sells Music Hall products and has the Shanling CD player. Hopefully they will get the SACD player, whenever it comes out. I would love to see and hear it.

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Not a problem, Keith. I would love to see and hear it too. Besides its audio performance, it's quite visually stunning, in my opinion.

I wonder what's the price if I purchase it locally there? I just went thru ShenZhen, China about a month ago on my way to see my grandmother. I maybe going back in 6 months or so, maybe I will do a little shopping....

OK, here's what I gathered from the buzz over at review33.com, an audio/HT forum out of Hong Kong. The rumored price for the Shangling SACD/CD player (in Hong Kong) is approximately US$1,500.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, thanks. Once imported to the US, and with a mark-up by Music Hall, I expect the Shanling player to sell for more than $1500 USD. As I recall, the Shanling CD player sells for around $1000 USD in China, but it sells for around $2000 USD here.

Aside from the price stateside, two things I would like to know about the Shanling player are,

1) Does it do multi-channel SACD or just stereo? I would not be surprised if it did just stereo.

2) Does it do straight DSD-to-analog conversion or DSD-to-PCM-to-analog conversion?

13. Jerry Klawiter

14. Mark Davenport

Wow, if it's under 2K or around 2k I'm getting one. As long as it doesn't convert to PCM that is. Man this thing look unbeleivable. Can anyone name any stateside importers that might carry this when it comes out?

15. Mark Davenport

Hi
    been trying to translate this page through the web with no luck, i was able to transalte one a few weeks ago but forgot where. Does anyone know exactly what language the http://www.avbuzz.com/t200.htm page is in? I assume it's a japanese dialect but the translations I ran did not work.

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Mark,

The page you are referring to is in traditional Chinese (as opposed to simplified Chinese). I provided a link to that page above and there's no technical info on the SACD/CD player. There's some non technical info on the accompanying Shanling remote controlable mono-block power amp though.

Keith,

I will have to agree with you on the pricing of the plyer in the US.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry,
    Thanks for providing the link. Glad to see it will do multi-channel SACD.
    Mark,
    Music Hall (www.musichallaudio.com) is the US distributor for the Shanling tube CD player, so I assume they are the distributor for all Shanling products. While Music Hall's web site does not mention anything about Shanling being in its stable, there is a dealer locator feature on the web site. In addition, www.audiolab.com in Fairless Hills, PA (Philly area) sells the Shanling CD player online, so perhaps they will do the same with the SACD player down the road.

18. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, actually, in looking at the pictures more closely, it is hard to say if it is a multi-channel SACD player. In one picture, I saw two RCA jacks with cables connected and then three unused RCA jacks. I figure at least one of those is a coaxial digital output. I don't know what the the others might do. Perhaps the player has a coaxial digital input to allow it to function as an external upsampling DAC. Some high-end CD players have digital inputs (Cary CD 306/200, for example).
    Also note that the remote pictured does not have a multi-channel/stereo button. It does have an SACD/CD button, however, which suggests that this remote controls the SACD player. The remote suggests that the player does not do multi-channel SACD. Of course, Danny has said that the player pictured is a prototype, so it's hard to say one way or the other what the final model will do. One thing I like is that the remote has a 24/96 button, suggesting that the CD section can upsample to 24/96. But what about 24/192? [​IMG]

19. Mark Davenport

Either way it's mine, I have been enjoying Stereo SACD quite a bit as MC for both DVD-A and SACD have not matured yet.

20. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mark, I hear you. I am more curious about its SACD capabilities than anything else. If the player does just stereo SACD, that's fine with me. I just want to hear it.