The NEW Secrets DVD review

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Artis Hall, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Artis Hall

Artis Hall Extra

is up. I can't post a link because I am new but it's there (www)hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi?function=search&articles=114

I can't believe who took top honors.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    That is just an "update" of recently tested models, not a rundown for the year or anything. The Denon 2200 scored higher than the 931, and top honors for '03 went to the Denon 5900. I was not impressed with the 931 to be honest.

3. Artis Hall

Artis Hall Extra

Ahh, thanks John that makes sense. I really am not impressed with it either (it sits idle in my rack waiting to be returned). I have looked at the complete list and I guess will be getting my hands on a DVD-1600 since the price relative to the score is unbeatable.

4. John Garcia

John
    Note that the RP82, 1600 and XP30 suffer from what appears to be a common motor failure, "H02" error with some frequency. I think a search for H02 (not sure if it is an "o" or a zero) in this forum should give you more info on it.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

That H02 spindle motor error is for the earlier RP62,RP82 and DVD-1600 models only. The later XP30 model had a newer spindle motor design without that defect, so it does not get the H02 errors.

6. Artis Hall

Artis Hall Extra

for between $39 and $49 I can buy the 5 year tweeter warranty which should cover the motor replacement (I will make sure before paying) and the Tweeter 2 miles from my house is a Denon authorized service center (checked last night on Denon's site) so I think it will be ok. I wish Secrets would review the DVD-1200. I understand it's an inferior mpeg decoder but I would like to see it's score.

7. Jim-M

Jim-M Second Unit

The Denon 1200 supposedly has the same video section as the 910, so I'd assume it would rate the same.

8. John Garcia

John
    I wasn't impressed with the 910 either. I actually bought it and returned it for a 2200 after just a few days. The 2200 and the 2900 have similar video sections, but the 2900 scores higher, so I would not count on the 910 and 1200 getting identical ratings.

I didn't know the XP30 had a different motor. Doh, I should have bought one when I had the chance.

9. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

You can still get XP30s on EBAY if you check frequently. I got one there 6 months ago for a little over $200, quite a bargain!