What's new

The new Radio Shack 15-2104 remote. (1 Viewer)

Vin

Supporting Actor
I just got the new RS 15-2104 so I thought I'd share my initial thoughts on it for anyone who's thinking of getting one.
It's the direct replacement for the very popular 15-1994 that I've already owned two of. As much as I loved the older model I did have a problem with it. After about 6 months, I noticed that some of the buttons were becoming unresponsive. Rob from hifi-remote.com has a procedure to remedy this but I was less than successful in carrying it out......OK, to be totally honest I screwed up the remote bigtime!
As I said, I really loved the 15-1994 so I bought another. Believe it or not, the same thing started to happen with this one but this time it was after only 2 months. Being that it was still under the original 90 day warranty I returned it to Radio Shack. As you know, the 15-1994 has been discontinued, so they gave me it's replacement, the 15-2104 at no charge.
Anyway, I just got the new one yesterday (10/27) and I'm basically happy with it but there are some differences that some may find undesirable:
1)No PIP buttons, so they'd have to be "learned" to other buttons.
2)No surround button for changing formats on your receiver, i.e., DPL, DPL2, Circle Surround, etc., but it was no problem to "learn" this function to another button.
3)Volume buttons are separate for volume up and volume down as opposed to the single rocker type used on the older model. This new configuration also applies to the channel buttons.
4)The Setup (or green P button) is recessed, making it impossible to depress with my finger during programming....I used a ballpoint pen cap and it worked fine. The real negative here was that I used to have a macro programmed to the shift-power button to avoid executing it accidentally.... it would be very difficult now to use shifted commands, now that the shift (green setup button) is recessed.
5)Volume can still only be punched through to the TV but copying your receiver's volume keys solves this problem.
On the plus side:
1)Two color backlighting (blue and white)....very cool! :)
2)Working device codes for Kenwood receivers. With the older model it was necessary to "learn" all functions for Kenwood receivers. As a I said above though, there's no surround button so another button had to be programmed to change sound formats. Also, I had to "learn" each of the receiver's video/audio inputs to a separate button (same as I did with the old model). The two things I gained, I guess, with the addition of working Kenwood device codes is that 1) I didn't need to "learn" the power and volume buttons to the new model and 2)I was able to copy the volume and mute buttons to other device modes instead of having to "learn" them in each device mode....copying is a little faster than learning and probably doesn't use up as much memory.
3)A DVD button is included (with device codes for many brands of DVD players) so it's no longer necessary to reassign one of the aux buttons as a VCR button before programming your DVD player's device code to it.
4)Still a lot of remote for the money.....I just hope the buttons on this one don't start to crap out as fast as they did with the 15-1994.
Well, that's as much as I've been able to determine in the last 24 hours since getting this remote. I'm sure I'll discover other things about it as I spend more time with it....hopefully, someone will find this helpful.
Vin

Vin

Supporting Actor
The memory limit is the same as the 15-1994.
rolleyes.gif

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Just a note! I set one of these new R.S. 15-2104 remotes up and learned after fighting with it for hours I discovered that if you screw up on putting a macro in you have to clear that bad macro out before it will except a new macro. The old 15-1994 and the Cinema 6, 7 did not need to do this from what I can remember.

Wes

Mike H

Stunt Coordinator
You may want to look at the JP1 stuff. It allows you to program the remote much better than punching in button. It's all rather simple, and I think I'm going to end up spending maybe 15 dollars, including the soldering iron.
You might want to hit up someone that is not using an old computer case to get the little connectors to hook up to the back of the remote.
The website is:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/index.shtml
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks