What's new

the new Outlaw 950 preamp - will it live up to its hype? (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
Not to sound biased, but if it were not for the early QC problems of the Adcom GFP 750 I would say that this piece is truely a poor man's high end pre amp. I was very sceptical before I bought it and knew after about a couple of days that this is really a good sounding piece that is as flexible as it sounds and that's very very good. However, it's obvious that Adcom had to take some shorts on things like the remote volume control that could perform better at low volumes etc. Despite the early QC reports of the early models the GFP-750 is an excellent performer in regards to performance and flexibility regardless of price. I believe that companies can shock us every now and then with an excellent performing consumer friendly piece and that's what I'm hoping Outlaw can do. As far as Sony goes, the 9000 retails at 1800.00 but how much of that costs does Sony tack on for name sake, marketing costs and advertising costs and also leaving room for the dealers to make a profit when they sell it to us? I'm sure that if Sony was in Outlaws position we would see a great price drop in their products and since we've already seen the price of the original Sony 777es SACD player debut at over $3,000 and then be sold brand new for $1,500 which is half price, try that same math on the $1,800 Sony 9000 pre/pro and look at that magic number.
Does it look familiar??
$900.00
------------------
What if it gets no better than this!?!
[Edited last by Martice on August 23, 2001 at 06:21 AM]

Oliver

Stunt Coordinator
I would have been interested in the Outlaw Pre/pro, but since they changed their strategy for consumer outside the USA which will not be able to buy directly but from a company located in Norway or was is Sweden? with an high price raise added for the 230 Volt Version the hole thing is becoming completely uninteresting for me.
I do not think that Outlaw will make it's way to market very long, their products that to long to be buyable.
Right know when the Pre/Pro becomes available there are already new formats like DTS 24/96 that will not be included. Too bad.
[Edited last by Oliver on August 23, 2001 at 06:55 AM]

J

John Morris

Are they really expecting a $900 preamp to sound like a $2000+ one?
Yes. And so am I.
That's not hard to understand when you realize how overpriced some of those $2000 pre/pros are. With some of those $2K pre/pros, much of the cost results from the profit margin required by their authorized B&M stores. If you take a look at the dealer cost of those expensive pre/pros, you'd probably have a unit costing say... $900?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP, SafeAudio, Macrovision and Lewinski!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks