What's new

The New Old School (1 Viewer)

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
Alright, let me define what I mean by "New Old School."

It's a category of games that are, essentially, new games that utilize modern-day hardware, but maintain the design aesthetic of the early 90's in terms of gameplay.

And yes, we could have an endless debate on the fact that the early 90's isn't really "old school" for games, but for this thread, I'll stick by my argument that the years between '86 and '94 heralded a design standpoint all it's own, more complex that the simplistic Atari style games that came prior, but still limited in what could be done as to necessitate creative workarounds on the part of the developers if they wanted to achieve a sense of suspended belief with the players.

And that, my friends, was a horrible run-on sentence.

That aside, what's your favorite "New Old School" game? Actual old school games don't count! Anything made after '96 is fair game, since that's around the time that 3D became the norm.

And before everyone mentions it, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is officially stricken from the list. Fantastic game, but think of others, the more recent the better!

Mine:

Ikaruga for DC. (duh.)
Panzer Dragoon Orta for Xbox (it's an on-rails shooter, and since Panzer Dragoon itself was aping the old-fashoned 2D sidescrollers, an homage to an homage still counts.)
The King of Fighters 2002 for Neo Geo.

Ray Warner

Stunt Coordinator
Oooh, Maximo's a good one that I was supposed to remember.

And here's something else: Does anyone completely disagree and feel that the classic games should be left where they are, or that they weren't all that fun to begin with? Dissenting views aren't uncommon with this subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks