What's new

The new Newbie FAQs (1 Viewer)

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
I queried Vince, and haven't heard yet.

I have drafted a 22.5KB MicrosoftWord document on my proposed submission. Are people typing directly to this new thread, without screening or technical feedback from learned staff?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Bill,
YOu can feel free to post it. If you'd feel more comfortable having someone proof read it- you can email me a copy-- or just post it and let me know and I'll email you if I have any thoughts.
But you are welcome to post directly to the thread. My only request is that you advice be easy to understand- like you're explianing it to your mother. ;)
-Vince

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
ok, I'll type it in later. I suppose when you got this idea, you thot of "nuggets" and it seems you're getting tutorials! I've drafted as tight as I can keeping Joe (PepsiCola) in mind, not my mother, who needs help with the new RS remote I got her...maybe that's yer point...

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Vince,

Just wanted to say that you rule. I really dig the newbie FAQ! This is the coolest thing I've seen on HTF so far, and I've seen some cool shit.

Thanks again,

Marshall

Andre Ramirez

Auditioning
Can one of you guys please explain WHAT IS THX? I always run into someone asking... Is it a surround format or a starndard? Do i need to get THX? I never have an exact explanation what THX really does. This would help me explain it better and probably help the newbies out there.

Thanks

Andre

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Marshall,

Glad you enjoy it-- hopefully we can get more HTF members to take a minute and post something.

-Vince

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Should something be added to the HDTV overview about DVI?

Oh and thanks to which ever mod fixed up my watts post. Certain things just weren't coming out right :b

Doug Domi

Auditioning
Vince,

As Johnny Miller would say, "This is great stuff!"

Also the entire HT Forum is great - with many knowledgeable and contributing members. Administrative oversight is very professional. My thanks to everyone involved...

Looking forward to participating as I upgrade my HT system.

Still learning,

Doug Domi

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Andre- I hope this is the right area to post my reply to your question. THX is basically a certification mark. It is not a replacement for Dolby Digital or DTS, but an enhancement of these sound formats. Now, in order to get a truly THX certified system, all of your components must bear that mark, your receiver, speakers, speaker wire,etc. Back in the early 1980's, George Lucas apparently challenged a group of audio engineers to come up with a system for rating movie theater audio/video systems. The selected movie theater would need to meet certain strict guidelines to get the certification. As time went on, the same principals were adopted for VHS, laserdisc, and dvd formats as well. Hope this helps you understand alittle better. By the way, buying components that bear the THX mark are generally more exspensive than a similar item without the mark. Unless you have alot of money to spend and a great, sound-proof room to set up a profesional home theater system, investing in THX may not be necassary.

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
This "What Every HT Newbie Should Know" Section is Great!

Are there any plans for adding Speaker placement on here?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
I'd love to see speaker placement added- however as it is a community project- it is up to what people bother to post. There are at least a dozen topics that haven't been addressed, despite my numerous requests that someone take a crack at them.
Looks like I might have to post 6-8 articles by myself for most topics to get covered.
I would suggest that if you really want to see posts get made, post a request in one of these threads telling the membership what you'd be interested in reading about:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=57022
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=58368
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=58989
Right now people seem pretty reluctant to post anything- which is surprising since many of them answer the same questions on a weekly basis!!
-Vince

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Vince and/or Parker,

Would it be possible for someone to copy the Evil Dead images to the HTF server so I don't have to host them? Vince mentioned that this would be possible. I have them zipped up and on my website. I can mail the link to you if you like. Then, once they are hosted by the HTF server, I will edit my post to point to them.

Thanks.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

Send parker an email with the zip link, and I'm sure he can make it happen.

Thanks again for compiling that guide- very very cool.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks