The New Napster...thumbs down on service

Discussion in 'Music' started by EricSchulz, Jan 21, 2004.

1. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I bought a Napster Card at Target which was good for 15 downloads. When I tried to download the software from the website, I got a message that my computer was not compatible (I have a Gateway 1100 Digital Music Series). The new Napster only works with Windows 2000 and XP, while I have ME (Millenium Edition). Target cannot give refunds on activated cards (just like phone cards), and neither does Napster.com. So I sent an email to Napster's support group and received the following response:

Do you know anyone that has a computer with Windows 2000 or XP? If so you can take the card to their computer and download your 15 tracks then burn the tracks to an audio CD through the napster software.

WHAT THE HELL KIND OF RESPONSE IS THAT????

The card does state that the system requirements are 2000 or XP and I was (mistakenly) under the impression that ME and 2000 were pretty much the same thing. I have never had compatibility problems with software before...and why did they limit use to only those two Windows formats??? So I emailed them back and told them to enjoy the $15 they got from me.

[rant]New Napster SUCKS!!![/rant]

2. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

WIndows ME and 2000 are not even close. There is a divergence in Windows that started with NT.
    So 95, 98, 98SE and ME are similar in structure

Then NT/2000/XP are in another class altogether. The interface may look the same, but that's just the front end. Underneath is a totally different operating system with some emulation software to run some of the older software.

iTunes also has the same requirement.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

It sucks that the software won't work for you. I don't know if it's fair to say they suck though. If the system requirements are there on the card there's not a lot more they can do to warn you up front.

It would be nice if they could invalidate the card & give you a refund though.

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I agree. It stated the required OS on the card, and YOU made the mistake thinking they were the same.

5. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Time to spend the $99 and upgrade to XP. I can't imagine still running 98/ME.

6. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I guess the only thing is to sell your card to someone who has 2000 or XP.
    That sure does suck but then again, you had to know you were taking a chance when you assumed ME and 2000 were the same.

7. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

"That sure does suck but then again, you had to know you were taking a chance when you assumed ME and 2000 were the same."

Ditto.