Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Title: The New Mutants (2020)

Genre: Action, Science Fiction, Horror

Director: Josh Boone

Release: 2020-04-01

Plot: The story of the New Mutants, a team of mutant heroes comprised of the first graduates from Charles Xavier's school.

Fox is bringing a new group of characters from Marvel Comics' "X-Men/ Mutant" corner of the universe to theatres next Spring.

Directed by Josh Boone, "Five young mutants, just discovering their abilities while held in a secret facility against their will, fight to escape their past sins and save themselves.". The movie is said to be more in the horror genre style and is taking inspiration from the "Demon Bear Saga". I, myself, don't know what that means. ;)

IMG_2976.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It looks like Mirage is the POV character, based on that trailer. Blu Hunt was really good as the villain on "The Originals" last season.

I wish Marvel would be as bold experimenting with genre and tone for the MCU as Fox has been with its Marvel properties in recent years. This looks like a full on horror movie, which ups my interest level significantly.

The question about knowing what mutants are is interesting, considering that mutants are common knowledge in the X-Men movies. So this must either be a period piece (and that seems unlikely) or an alternate timeline/reality a la "Legion".

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The question about knowing what mutants are is interesting, considering that mutants are common knowledge in the X-Men movies. So this must either be a period piece (and that seems unlikely) or an alternate timeline/reality a la "Legion".

Possibly, but I think that might be reaching a bit. We don't know the context of that question in the film, if it is even in the film. Someone could be asking that just to see the other's response, since it is in an asylum type setting. But being dialogue in a trailer, it may not even wind up im the final cut.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Regarding the above, Boone has said that is is a part of the X-Men movie universe

"There's some things I can't talk about. I can just say it is connected to and a part of the X-Men universe, and will continue to be a part of the X-Men universe and will be a part of that as it opens up in the next movies and all that.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I'm not a horror fan and this just looks like generic horror but with mutant teens instead of normal teens. I've enjoyed the X-men movies but this direction is a turn off for me.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Has this movie been delayed to 2019? Every reference I see now says Feb. 22, 2019.

Any idea why it was delayed, if true?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Has this movie been delayed to 2019? Every reference I see now says Feb. 22, 2019.

Any idea why it was delayed, if true?

Yes, it’s not coming out this Spring. It’s been pushed back nearly a year (10 months) to Feb 2019 as you’ve read.

Not sure of the official reason, but I believe I read something about them wanting to rework it to focus on more of the horror element.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That big of a delay might be a bad sign but it's worth noting that the summer is full (including Deadpool), September & October is either junk or the beginning of Oscar hopefuls, November and December are full of both blockbusters (including the next X-Men) and Oscar movies, January is either junk or the wide openings of Oscar stuff so that really does make February the next best date for a mid-sized movie.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Word is that the test screenings were a bit more lukewarm than they would have liked. And unlike the tentpoles that have to meet a certain date, they had the flexibility to take the time and get it right.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The director announced that this will be rated PG-13.

That is the most positive news I have heard yet about this. IMO, R-rated comic book movies do not work (with perhaps the exception of Deadpool).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Somebody please remind me again how to edit a thread title. I should update the release date.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Somebody please remind me again how to edit a thread title.

In previous threads I've created, I haven't been able to edit a thread title after someone already responded to it. You're absolutely right that it should be updated to reflect the new date, and a moderator could probably do it, but that might be beyond the capabilities of a regular user.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm not a horror fan and this just looks like generic horror but with mutant teens instead of normal teens. I've enjoyed the X-men movies but this direction is a turn off for me.

100% this. I also can't handle the jump scares in the trailer. An X-Men horror film isn't a bad idea if you like horror, but since I don't, I'm not planning on seeing this.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
A moderator can give you permissions to edit your own posts. I needed to ask for permissions once to update a thread I was continuously updating and now I can always edit titles of threads that I start.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
In previous threads I've created, I haven't been able to edit a thread title after someone already responded to it. You're absolutely right that it should be updated to reflect the new date, and a moderator could probably do it, but that might be beyond the capabilities of a regular user.

You can edit the title of a thread you've created at any time. At the top of page one there's a drop-down menu called "Thread Tools". Click it and choose "Edit Title". Easy-peasy.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Saw the teaser in the theater before Thor. I’m intrigued by the variation on superhero movie. But I’m not a horror fan in general so I’m not really drawn to seeing it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Saw the teaser in the theater before Thor. I’m intrigued by the variation on superhero movie. But I’m not a horror fan in general so I’m not really drawn to seeing it.

That's definitely a minus in my column as well. Add to that that Fox has a spotty record with their X-Men films, and whether or not I see it is a big question mark for me. It's by no means a sure thing in my book.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks