The New Loretta Young Show (1962-63)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I hadn't seen this posted in another thread . . . VCI Entertainment has released the one and only season of Loretta Young's second television show, "The New Loretta Young Show - Christine's Children" that ran during the '62-'63 season.

Link: http://www.vcihomevideo.com/browse.php?item=1999

The first season of Loretta Young's better known first series from the 1950s is available from The Timeless Media Group:

Link: http://www.timelessmusic.com/dvds/lorettayoung.htm

Another thumbs up for the independents which are taking chances on series that the majors would never even consider.

Tom.W

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for this news, Bob. Loretta Young's second television show was a worthy follow up to her anthology show. A nice cast featuring James Philbrook as her fiance, and child stars Sandy Descher and Tracy Stratford among others made this a very enjoyable dramedy. Loretta played a single mom balancing a career as an independent writer and her romantic problems with Philbrook. As with the anthology, serious themes were dealt with but in sometimes more lighthearted ways.

I will be picking this one up. Just wish timeless media would release more seasons of the first show.

Bert Greene

Supporting Actor
This has been out for a while now, but I just recently got around to it. No real remastering, and the opening credit bits seem partially replaced. Still, this is something that apparently hasn't circulated since its original airings, so it's nice to see it made available. The series follows a rather typical sitcom 'formula,' yet it's almost entirely a drama series. A few interesting highlights, like seeing an episode with George 'Goober' Lindsey as a druggie at a beatnik coffeehouse who slips some marijuana cigarettes into the purse of one of Loretta's teen daughters. Or, the rather dark, unnerving episode in which Loretta is held captive in her home by a mentally-deranged gent (Victor Buono) who is determined to take away her youngest daughter, believing her to be his own deceased child.

But overall the series doesn't quite click, being dogged by weak male characters and occasional bouts of pretentiousness. The daughters were quite winsome, and I think I would have preferred more episodes revolving around them. More often than not the series serves up repeated explorations into the psyche of a middle-aged woman balancing motherhood and romance... not entirely my cup of java. I can see why the series didn't quite catch on. The dvd-set has some terrific extras, though, via some really nice cast interviews.

I noticed the series originally followed "The Andy Griffith Show" on CBS on Monday nights, that 1962-63 season. Guess it didn't manage to hang on to that audience well enough. Of course, neither did the series that followed in that time-slot that next season ("East Side West Side"), which was undoubtedly an even more jarringly discordant transition from Mayberry merriment.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Boy, are you right about that. 1963-64 was the season I watched television more than any other season. At 7:30 PM EST I put on CBS, and it stayed there, through "To Tell the Truth," "I've Got a Secret," "The Lucy Show," "The Danny Thomas Show" and "The Andy Griffith Show." Then at 10 came "East Side/West Side," and I jumped ship to either ABC's "The Breaking Point" or NBC's "Sing Along With Mitch."

Here I am, over 40 years later, and I still remember the schedule by heart. I don't know if that's good or bad ...............

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
One thing about this show I liked from watching the DVD set- it was one of the few one-season shows that wrapped up its storyline in its final episode, like Hank (another one-season wonder that should be on DVD- Warner Bros. owns it, and it's in color!).

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

That would be the greatest news I could imagine, for Warner to put out Hank. However, I would bet my life savings that there is not a soul working there who has the slightest idea as to that show's existence. It hasn't aired anywhere since going off NBC in 1966 and hasn't even been listed in the syndication books of available series for over 20 years. One can never say never but back when TV Land started I remember reading that the head of the channel was a big Hank fan. And that was when TV Land would air all kinds of obscure shows and even they didn't run any Hanks. I'm sure they exist but they are probably buried so deep in the vaults that no one could find them. And if you go to TV Party, they have some great Hank writeups and believe it or not, there are many people who remember the show.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
That's on my "most wanted list" along with three other one-season wonders:

He & She (owned by Paramount)
Camp Runamuck (Sony/Columbia)
and yes, My Mother The Car (MGM/Fox)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

At least those other 3 have aired in the taping era:
He and She on USA network
Camp Runamuck on HA and Comedy Channel
My Mother the Car on TV Land

Thankfully I was able to get them all from those airings as I would doubt they will make it to DVD any time soon.

J Hall

Agent
Real Name
John Hall
"Fair Exchange"...Didn't it begin as a one-hour series and then revert to a half-hour format?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Yes, it was hailed as the first regularly-scheduled hour long sitcom. That lasted about 13 weeks. It returned about three months later in a half-hour format, which I didn't like as well as the hour shows. After another 13 weeks or so, it was history.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PJay