What's new

The new look of the Knapp theater..... (1 Viewer)

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
As some of you my know I have been building a "wall" around my equipment to hide the unsightliness.
The wall is really just a frame with speaker grille cloth stretched over it. What this does is allow my soundstage to remain un effected (I was happy with it and didnt want to corrupt it with drywall) while allowing me to cover the gear and keep the flashing lights out of view while watching TV or a movie. The TV pulls out to provide access to the back of the equipment rack. I placed two handles on the TV under the grille to make it easy to pull out. No scraped up knuckles.
I worked all last weekend but finally got it done.
frontleft.jpg

Sorry the image is so grainy but it is tough to have the proper light cast on an all black fabric wall :) Althought the image doesnt show it well, the "ends" are angled and not squared off. This makes it look less "boxy".
So far so good. I still need to tweak the speaker placement some.
Here is a diagram that will illustrate the layout a little clearer.
HTfloorplan.gif

I am in the process of making a "cone" shaped cover for the centerchannel speaker and will post an update soon
center.jpg

Here is the rack and all the goodies (prior to enclosure).
rack.jpg

Mike

AllenD

Second Unit
Mike,
Great job!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
If you don't mind posting it, how much did this last project cost you?
Thanks
------------------

JohanK

Second Unit
Looks great Mike.
Is there any problem with components and remotes? Or, do you use an RF system?
I wish I had such a large room to work with...I feel cramped in my HT room.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Joohoon L

Grip
Look great Mike! It's been awhile since I saw your theater. Last time, it had a front projector.
I was wondering if the framing has affected your 2 channel acoustics at all?
------------------
Have you got a 27B-6?

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
Looks nice!!,,
Very innovative.
Do you not use a FPTV anymore?
------------------
Trevor
Link Removed
Equipment List updated
New digital pictures!
June 12,2001

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Have you ever tried placing the center speaker under the screen, in front of the TV? I LOVE mine placed there! The top-o-the-TV location makes the center sounds WAY too high compared to the "ear height" sound from my mains. I placed my Mirage center speaker horizontally on a home made stand that places the speaker at a slight up tilited angle, pointing at the haeds of the seated viewers. When you are seated, you can't see the center speaker's top, bottom or sides, only the front grill. The stand places the top of the speaker cabinet just about an inch below the bottom edge of the screen. With the center speaker slid right up to the TV, and the main speakers pulled out from the rear wall about 1 ft., the create a perfect arc from the "sweet-spot". Just a "tweak" that made my theater MUCH better sounding!
------------------
Jim
-------
Mancow rocks! Link Removed

Wayne_T

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, what a fantastic looking theater, and I bet it sounds great too! Finishing an HT room in our basement is my next big project and I hope I can do half as well as you have.

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Allen: The rack was 200 bucks and the wall materials (including a brad gun) was 200 bucks...total about 400 dollars.
Johan: The Mitsubishi comes equipped with an IR repeater and 6 flashers. I just put the flashers under the equipment and plug into the back pf the TV. The TV screen becomes my IR window.
Joohoon: Not at all! Thats the great thing about using the stick frame and the grill cloth. The system doesnt even know the wall is there. :)
Trevor: Not for about 3-4 months. I got a 65" Mitsubishi and the DTC100 and I am now in Hi-Def heaven. The Sony 9000es provides a wonderful DVD image as well. Im all set til next month....LOL
Jim: My center does not sit on top of the TV. It is suspended from the ceiling and angled (just as you described) toward the listener. I get a perfectly focused voice dead center of the screen.
Wayne: Thank you very much
Mike

JohanK

Second Unit
Sweet, that IR repeater is a nice feature on the Mitsu...should've known you had the foresight to handle the situation. :)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Dear EB,
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Looking good!
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks