the new line of sony speakers (yellow drivers)

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Myo K, Apr 12, 2003.

1. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

has anyone seen them yet? they now are encased in real wood, instead of plastic, and use kevlar drivers i think, i saw a pair of them on display at best buy, the tweeter looks like its made of tissue paper or something,

anyhow, i listened to them, and they sound exactly the same as their last years counterpart. sound performance is the same i guess its just an aesthetic issue with the new speakers.

my local bb also had a boxed sawm-500 the new 150 watt 12" sub by sony, my guess is its the replacement for the famous sawm40 sub. anyone heard one yet? my BB didnt have one on display, it was just boxed, it didnt even have a price on it so i dont know how much they go for.

i thought the sawm40 sub sounded pretty good for the price, im wondering if they improved upon the stuff/filling technique with this sub over the sawm40 sub. if its good, this might be the best replacement for low end affordable subs, since sawm40 is gone forever [​IMG]

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

They have a number of new subs coming out. Even some higher end ones but those may not be available here state side.I belive the model #s are V70 and V90 that list over 600.00
    Then the 200 and 500 replacing the SA-WM line.

A look at the new Sony 12" SA-WM500 in maple

Don't know if the wood color choice will be available state side. If thats the porting in front, I question it's chuffing factor with loud lower stuff....
    Sonys MSRP is 299.00.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

That is most likely the on/off switch in front Geoff. The 40 had this function in front to.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Well from that shot it certainly seems much better looking at least. The maple don't hurt either.

I hope that would be something other than the "port" cause, well just cause of what I already said.....

5. BrianSmith

BrianSmith Stunt Coordinator

I got a good deal on a pair of 90s. The new Sony ED speakers can been viewed at sonystyle.com

They sound great!

-Brian

6. Myo K

Myo K Stunt Coordinator

picture of black sawm 500

most likely the one that will be coming statesideblack sawm500

7. ChristopherBer

ChristopherBer Stunt Coordinator

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Chris

Sony Style must have just got it up as it was not their they day I posted. I was at the Sony Style site along with every where else, and only found 1 new sub in the ES line. 2~5.5" drivers (1"throw) in a smallish Silver, tall, thin, cabinet and powered.

The 500:
    Same ugly Amp style hanging of the back IMO, but better looking Sub than the old.[​IMG]
    What do you Sony-40 owners think of the new look?

Also whats with their spec ratings their showing, (2-sets of freq responses?

Regards
    Geoff