What's new

The new Inspector Clouseau is... (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
But to re-do the Pink Panther, I don't know...maybe it's just too soon?
It's been 12 years since the eminently forgettable Son of the Pink Panther, which itself came 10 years after Curse of the Pink Panther, which didn't have Sellers. Is 27 years since Sellers played the role not enough time?

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I wonder if they might not have been better served at finding someone a bit less known who could become more Clouseau then the Clouseau character becoming more like them... Just a thought.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
I bet he wouldn´t. Steve Martin is just embarrasing these days. This movie will tank big time.
:frowning:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they might not have been better served at finding someone a bit less known who could become more Clouseau then the Clouseau character becoming more like them.
Eh, I'd rather see a new actor make a character their own, rather than just watch them impersonate the previous person to have the role.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Jason,

That's not quite what I meant. I don't want them to imporsonate anyone else but be the character. I think with someone like Martin, you get someone who is taking the character and adapting it to him, rather than the reverse.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just watched the trailer for the Pink Panther. All I can say is......What the hell are they thinking about when they decide to do something like this? Normally, I wouldn't have any problem with a remake of an older film; however, some films just do not lend themselves to remakes and IMO The Pink Panther is one of them. I cannot think of the word that describes it, but the Clouseau character is completely and indelibly tied to the appearance, mannerisms, voice, and comic timing of Peter Sellers. Any other actor trying to play Inspector C just looks like a weak poseur struggling to live up to Seller's legacy.

Steve Martin is a case in point. He is a good comedic actor but he just looks wrong in the role of the Inspector. He can do all the pratfalls he wants but he will never be Inspector Clouseau. Studios should learn to let sleeping dogs lie, especially for movies with characters that are indelibly linked to a specific actor's personage.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Which means it will probably debut on home video, unless they re-shoot the whole thing. At the moment, the film is dead in the water.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Seems like the scheduling change is because of the purchase of MGM by Sony, not because the film stinks -- was there a marketing push by MGM for this film while they were being bought? Nope. Why would they spend their money to make money for someone else?

The film could still stink, of course, but the change in release date doesn't seem to be related to the level of smell rising from the cans of film.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Also, this looks like a very kid-oriented film - most of the trailers I've seen were in front of G/PG movies - and the new date puts it near school vacation week, and away from Chicken Little, Harry Potter, Narnia, and Zathura for the holiday season (yeah, Zathura probably isn't in the same category, but it's Sony's movie).

Or, it could just suck on ice. But if it did, they'd probably just let it die in September; this may actually be more faith than MGM had.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks