1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The New Howdy Doody Show 1976

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Y, Oct 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I received it yesterday. They are definitely DVD-Rs. It's like a Warner Archive release. The quality is like the other recent set that just came out, i.e. apparently straight from the source. Also, this group of shows does not have the educational/informative "E/I" superimposed in the corner like the other one. The back says "Restored Classics/The Film Detective Archive" and there is also a notice that says "Copyright MEMORY LANE SYNDICATION and Trademark NBC." I would say these are "authorized" by Memory Lane Syndication. How "authoritative" that "authorization" is, I can't say.

If you want these shows, I highly recommend both of these sets, which have all different episodes from each other. These are the best DVDs of The New Howdy Doody Show yet released.

Rodney and JoeDoakes like this.
  2. Mark R. Largent

Mark R. Largent Auditioning

Mark R. Largent
    I emailed the folks at the New Howdy Doody Show website about a year and a half ago, asking about their releases and the plan they had at the time was to release all 130 episodes as box sets of 25 episodes each in quarterly cycles during 2016. This obviously didn't come to pass. They also were planning to make all of the episodes available as digital streaming "offerings on a range of platforms in 2016."

Unfortunately, this hasn't happened, either.

I have a selfish reason for wanting them released because I was in the Peanut Gallery for one of the five-episode stories. (They filmed all five in a single day.) I was lucky enough to win a drawing and the prize was a Clarabell T-shirt and I was given a seat in the front row. This meant I was given the chance to interact with Buffalo Bob at one point in the show when he came out to ask the Peanut Gallery questions. This was a big thrill for an 8 year-old. :)

I missed the original airing and have never seen the episode, so my ears always perk up when there's a release, hoping I'll be able to get a copy of it and finally see it for myself ...and see if it matches up with my memory of it.

They were able to at least give me the title of that episode block, "Sally Superstar," and of course, it's one of the few that have never been released.

Mark Y and Ron1973 like this.
  3. pfambus

pfambus Auditioning

Lou
    A really terrific, underrated kid's program that deserves to be viewed as it's own gem and less compared to the great, unparalleled '50's original. It would be nice if Cozi aired the one-hour promo special that started the series in '76, though this would make an excellent bonus disc if it were ever released. I have recorded all 130 episodes, but an official box set would be far out. There is an anniversary New Howdy Doody Show children's book that was intended as a dvd premium, but since no new disc boxed sets have been released, the book remains available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=howdy+doody+pageant

Ron1973 and Mark Y like this.
  4. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

5. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Good to see that there is still some interest in Howdy and the gang!

Ron1973, Mark Y and Gary16 like this.
  6. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

Here it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXEhJrX1v40Rpy1Au16b_vfaQU-O_gQEQ

7. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

These shows appear to be directly off the masters, i.e. one-inch transfers made from the original Quad tapes in the late 1990s. (They even have color bars and slates.) The only issue seems to be the superimposed "E/I" (for educational programming) which appears in the upper right corner throughout all the episodes. It would be nice if a complete series were released, but this is the next best thing. If they did release a complete set, it would have to be in multiple volumes given the number of episodes, and besides me, who would buy it?

If a complete set were to come out, I sure would like the one hour pilot and the 1987 special "It's Howdy Doody Time: A 40 Year Celebration" as extras. But I think the latter is under different ownership.

LouA and Ron1973 like this.
  8. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer

Ray
    I might. This is great news. Super duper cheers to the copyright owners choosing to share this show today rather than hold out for untapped "millions" later on. It's great that they have done this.

Ron1973 likes this.
  9. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I'd buy any original 1950s episodes they chose to release , but I'm a fan . I'd buy the complete 70's show as well. Much of her 70s show is out already from various companies , some released as far back as 20 years ago.

Mark Y likes this.
  10. Message #30 of 33 Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

I have (to my knowledge) all the past official releases. There were two VHS box sets of The New Howdy Doody Show released in the late 1990s. Each included four weeks worth of episodes. But they were edited to omit the intro at the beginning of the show proclaiming that the show originated "from the Sunshine State Florida, the home of Doodyville, U.S.A." The closing credits were also missing from all the episodes. My guess is there may have been a rights issue with the stock film footage of Florida shown at the beginning, and also used under the closing credits of many episodes.

Later releases of episodes had a completely remade opening and closing replacing the originals, with superimposed theme song lyrics. Superimposed lyrics were also added to a few other segments in some of the shows. The Madacy DVD set has this remade opening only on the first show on a disc, and the remade closing only on the last one. The Goodtimes DVDs (I think) at least have the remade opening on all the shows.

Two more recent DVD sets (one from Memory Lane and one from Film Detective) have original unmolested shows. The Memory Lane set (five weeks of shows) has the superimposed "E/I" throughout all but one show, while the Film Detective (four weeks) set is clean.

I first want to say there is a generous selection of shows from the original Howdy Doody series available -- 57 between the Image Entertainment DVDs and Mill Creek sets, plus one more in the omnibus set "Hiya Kids! A 50s Saturday Morning." But when I stop to remember the series ran over two thousand episodes, I guess that really isn't a lot. Plus, many of them are "selected" episodes which fall in the middle of a storyline which played out over several days or even weeks. Still, it's something.

I lament the fact that (except for the final show) whatever we do have of the original series seems to only exist as kinescopes. I know this is very unlikely, but it would be great if they could get the "live feed" treatment. Also, it bugs me to only have black and white versions of things made in color (the show went to color full-time in 1955). Sounds like a Legend Films project!

11. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I bought the Film Detective set but somehow the Memory Lane Set got by me . But It looks to me like the Memory lane release is composed of episodes that have already been out on DVD. I tried to order it last week ,but Amazon has it listed as "currently unavailable" . Other than that I have all of the others you mention. It would be great if a company like Time -Life , would release a "mega-set " of hundreds of original B&W episodes - kinescopes or not . And the Live Feed treatment would be especially nice , although like you said it's unlikely. I have Elvis Presley's appearances on The Ed Sullivan show restored by LF and they look beautiful.

Mark Y likes this.
  12. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Kinescopes are actually the one thing that smooth motion on TVs is useful for- that can adequately restore the original video look.

LouA, Mark Y and MatthewA like this.
  13. Mark Y

Mark Y Screenwriter

The Memory Lane set includes:

King Cobb (Week 13)
    Clown Tamer (Week 6)
    Clarabell's Fun Show (Week 18)
    Unhappy Happy Harmony (Week 5)
    Davis Dilemma (Week 11)

Of these, "Clarabell's Fun Show" was previously released on VHS. Although the show ran one season (26 weeks) in 1976-77, there is a difference between the shows from the first 13 weeks and the last 13. "Clarabell's Fun Show" in particular is mostly a clip fest with scenes from prior shows.

In the second half of the series, it's retooled a little. Buffalo Bob starts the show sitting in the Peanut Gallery and the band's arrangement of the theme song is jazzed up a bit.

The Nicholson Muir character is no longer there, and instead Bill Lecornec reprises his Oil Well Willie role from the original Howdy Doody show. Nick Nicholson directed some of these shows and Corny Cobb is absent from those.

We see puppets from the original series which we didn't see much of during the first 13 weeks, including Princess Summerfall Winterspring and Petey Bluster. Mambo the Elephant and Tommy Turtle also appear.

I have that Ed Sullivan Elvis set and I agree, they did a nice job on those.

LouA likes this.