The New Harmon Kardon AVR 7300.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jerome Grate, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Harmon Kardon AVR 7300
    As stated during another post, this looks like a great receiver. Definetly on my wish list.

2. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Stunt Coordinator

But no dolby pro logic IIx according to that link and onecall's listing? That is a glaring omission.

Scott

3. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

4. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

5. Scott R. Scherr

Scott R. Scherr Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, my mistake. Looks like a great unit.

Scott

6. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

I noticed that the last paragraph states " If you find a lower price etc, etc" we will try to match. This is the first indication that I've ever seen that Crutchfield may be willing to deal.

7. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    * Drools *
    The worst part is I'm having to look up half this stuff online just so I can understand the new features. (God I'm a noob) I have the 7200 and I'm really holding up on making any formal reviews on my still new system because I only have my main speakers set up and I still need to get my center channel set up. But, I have a feelin' when all is set and done I'll be happy with my decision to go with the 7200. So far it has done me well. [​IMG]

8. Jerome Grate

For me, this unit will complete the dream package I seek. I changed my basement around and made it child friendly but more HT friendly as well. I can now hook up surround left/right on the side of the listener and Surround Back left/right behind the listener. The HK 7300 would be a perfect addition, I need to update my DVD player (Pioneer DV-414), the 32 inch Toshiba is smaller now that the distance from viewing is further, hencce the need for a larger Widescreen t.v. 46 to 50 inch RPTV, and finally this receiver. Having all video (including satellite, S-VHS vcr with DNR, DVD Progressive) de-interlaced by Faroudja and presented in 480p. "WHEW", JUST THE THOUGHT, brings a tear to my eye. If my wife could see this set up in action, I think she'd agree with everything and would venture more to the basement. Nothing like a little naked flesh in progressive mode make a beautiful ending to an evening.[​IMG]

9. aaron campbell

aaron campbell Second Unit

Johnal, Enjoy your 7200, thats a great receiver.

10. Danny D

Danny D Auditioning

Why HK630,7200,7300 & Denon3805 don't have the THX like most of the Yamaha such as 2400? I am researching very hard right now for an AVR to built a good decent HT from a scratch ! HK630 has the best looking modern design to display on my brand new glasses silver shelf. The 3805 & 2400 have very close match up in term of specs, but 2400 has THX which make the different!
    Could some of you audio experts explain the features & it's advantage of 2400 over 3805, & 630? With the THX certified, does it mean 2400 sound better than all the others ? Thanks

11. Tim Dogg

Tim Dogg Agent

I would not worry about it not haveing the little THX badge in the corner.It cost these companys a ton of money just to put that badge on the front of their products.Take a look at some of the high end amps out there.They dont have that THX badge but do they need it too sell? I think Not.
    I was worried about the same thing a month ago when I bought my Sherwood Newcastle p-965 and now that I listen too it im not worried anymore.My thoughts are its just another way to make Mr.Lucas a richer man. Tim

12. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I almost got the AVR 7200, it's a great receiver. With the Faroudja processor in the 7300, that completes what I needed. I really needed something that I could feed a SD cable signal into and have it clean it up. The Infocus X1 projector did a great job with that, but the color wheel was too slow. If any of you are planning on getting an Infocus 4805, there's probably not much reason to go for this 7300, but if you have a projector or a TV that doesn't already have a Faroudja deinterlacer chip in it, this receiver might be a Godsend.

13. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    "With the Faroudja processor in the 7300, that completes what I needed."

Isn't that decoding normally done by the DVD player? Would someone please explain to a newbie exactly what the advantage is of this feature?

14. Jerome Grate

My understanding is that the process is applied to all video sources, DVD, VCR, Satellite/cable, HDTV. As I posted earlier, this is what makes the receiver soooo attractive. All your interlace video sources in I believe in 480 progressive.

15. AntonS

AntonS Stunt Coordinator

I wonder what's the reason for putting a deinterlacer in the receiver? Now we'll have 3 deinterlacers - one in the DVD player, one in the receiver, and one in the TV. In a decent home theater setup they will all be of similar quality if not running the same Faroudja chip. Why pay for extra circuitry which will never be used?

I wish they'd rather put a good smart audio up-sampler so 44.1 sample rate streams can be resampled to 192 and only then processed if necessary.

DVI switch would be more useful too.

16. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

Posted: Today
    01:57 PM
    Post (#14 of 15 posts)

Jerome Grate
    New York, N.Y.

My understanding is that the process is applied to all video sources, DVD, VCR, Satellite/cable, HDTV. As I posted earlier, this is what makes the receiver soooo attractive. All your interlace video sources in I believe in 480 progressive.

That wouldn't make sense. Why would you want to bring a 720p or 1080i signal down to 480p? You wouldn't. I doubt that the 7300 does that. It only changes 480i to 480p, which, by itself is a great thing. I think it has a passthru for 720p and 1080i. I just realized that my Motorola HD receiver can upconvert SD 480i signals to 720p and 1080i. I'm going to test it when I get home. [​IMG]