What's new

The new eight ounce soda cans (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Typically around here you can buy 2 litre name brand bottled pop for under $1.00 ea (plus enviro & deposit) at places like Superstore, but the same 2-litre bottle chilled at your favorite "convenience" store ("Sieben-Elf") runs triple that.

What bothers me more is that so-called "sport drinks" are twice as expensive, when they are the same thing, without the carbonation, and with salt. (The two main ingredients are still water and liquid sugar, then other chemicals, em, sugars) In fact, a bottle of "Gatorade Extreme" Fruit Punch tastes surprisingly like Hawaiian Punch **POW!!**.

And why is bottled water more expensive than soda anyway? Most are not necessarily imported, it's usually filtered at the same plants and is the same water used in carbonated beverages...

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
It seems like too many of you are obsessed with "finishing the can." Gee, if 8oz is .50 and 12oz is .25 then use what you need and toss the rest. ( Personally, I leave it on the kitchen counter for my wife to worry about :) )

My daughter always get soda in a cup and she get far less that 8oz, so I don't buy the "kid size" story either.

And she sure as heck doesn't get a canned soda in her lunchbox.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Christopher.. Just eat Vegetables and you will live a full
and happy life...

6Oz bottle of soda? No thank you...

That whole extra couple ounces is a real killer considering
even at 6Oz you have already taken in twice the amount of
daily sugars.. :D

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I would like someone to confirm that a 6-pack of 8 oz. cans costs more than a 6-pack of 12 oz. cans. I understand that per ounce, the 8 oz cans cost more, but I have a hard time believing that they cost more per can.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
well, at target today the 8oz 6 packs were priced at 1.99.
Oddly enough they didn't HAVE 12z 6 packs, only 12 packs priced at 2.99.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Noticed the same thing today at Kmart. You can buy the squat little 6-packs, or 12-packs of regular 12 oz. cans, but no 6-packs of 12 oz. cans.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Actually those that complain about the 6 oz soda pricing, my main complaint is bottled water and why people will buy drinking water over distilled water (you know the water they recommend that one mixes with anti-freeze, use in car batteries, and chemistry class due to it having the least amount/none in contaminents). At least pop the justification is size, convience, and availibility but everytime I hear someone with a bottle of water in their hand (while I have my 32 oz) state something like "why don't you drink water, it's more pure?" makes me want to just scream.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
Yeah, we bought a water cooler that does hot, room temp and cold and fill up a five gallon jug for $.75 from one of those water dispensers at the grocery store. Then use squirt bottles and fill them up whenever we go anywhere. $.75 for 5 gallons is WAY cheaper than $1.19 for 20 oz. Plus, having a baby the water cooler is the only way to go. Mix 4.5 oz hot + 3.5 oz cold + 4 scoops of formula = happy baby, and much easier at 6 am than trying to use a bottle warmer.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
even cheaper than that, buy a basic reverse osmosis filter, you can get a 2 stage filter online for 80 bucks. That should keep you in good clean water for quite awhile.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Not really. If you use many gallons of drinking water a month or have an aquarium, especially salt-water, it is worth it. Otherwise, you are better off doing the five-gallon refills.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't even drink my RO, goes straight to the tank.
when I moved I didn't bother with the pressure tank and drinking faucet...

Anyway, with an 80$ initial investment, the carbon block should last you 6 months and hte membrane a year, no containers to buy, no gas driving to the store, and a lot less hassle.
Not to mention who knows what the TDS is on those store machines.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
what is TDS?
i have to go to the grocery store anyway, so i don't see what gas i've wasted
it takes all of two minutes to do it...all you do is put in three quarters and push the 5 gallon fill button
besides, i'm in an apartment, so i can't exactly do what you suggested

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
sure ya can, I had a drinking system set up in mt apt before I moved.

TDS is total dissolved solids, the gunk you want to remove. In a perfect world it's 0... but after an RO/DI it's usually around 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks