What's new

The new eight ounce soda cans (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Damn straight. Bring back the 10 oz. glass bottles or "mini" plastic bottles @ 10oz. They were perfect.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The American consumer has a long history of paying extra for the convenience of smaller, individually wrapped portions. A tiny bag of potato chips costs $0.79 but a whole big bag 10x the size is only $3.79. "With a great discount, comes great quantity." (apologies to Stan Lee)

I'd like to teach the world to sing...
In perfect harmony
I'd like to buy the world a Coke...
And keep one can for me

:)

Michael Varacin

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, if these take off, next they will be introducing the 8oz bottle of water for $1.29

Heck, I pay $.99 for a 12oz. bottle of water because it's more convienient then tap water. So the 8oz must be even more convienient, therefore worth the $1.29. :rolleyes:

I want off this planet.

Shane Roach

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, Coke in glass bottles.

Here in Upstate SC we have Skin's, an area chain of hot dog restaurants. The dogs are good (but not great), but they do enough business to be able to demand Coke products in glass (they only recently had to switch from 6.5 oz. to 8 oz.), and hot dog buns split on the top. So for about $3.15 you get two hot dogs whose buns won't fall apart on you, and a bottle of Coke that tastes much crisper than one in plastic or aluminum.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's just a continuation of the trend for food/goods manufactuers to get us to pay the same, or more, for less.

Coffee that now comes in 10 oz. or 12 oz. cans instead of full pounds.

Paper plates that used to be 9-1/4" diameter that are now 8-5/8"

And it's partly that too. My parents' store sells 20 oz. Coke products for $1.25 each. We also sell 2 liter bottles of Coke products for $1.29 each.

We sell a LOT more of the smaller bottles.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

Dunno, but there used to be a budget airline that served shasta, I want to say it was "spirit"

You know you're big time when you've got 6 kinds of shasta on board ;)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I would love to be able to get 6.5oz glass bottles of pop. I don't want more than that, but the corporations force it on me. In my opinion that is the crime. It's exactly like restaurant portions: they charge you a rather high price for an excessively large portion. They can't, or won't, charge you half that much for less: since the raw material costs are very low, it's really only the labour and packaging which make the difference. At a constant price per ounce, profit on a 40 ounce drink or a jumbo fries or even a 16 ounce steak is considerably greater than on an 8 ounce glass, or a small order of French Fries, or an 8 ounce steak, and so we swill and gorge ourselves into debt and an early grave under the delusion that we are getting a better value.

By the way, if the teeny-weeny packages of M&Ms are "fun size" is the 32 ounce bag "auto-da-fe size"? And if they make an M&Ms Mini [which tastes wrong due to an excess of coating over chocolate] why don't they make Jumbo M&Ms, the size of a quarter?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand, the 8oz cans are more expensive, if you only want 6.5 ounces, DRINK 6.5 ounces and throw the rest away.

Markus Lidstrom

Stunt Coordinator
I fail to see why these smaller cans are a problem, while this:

doesn't cause anyone to bat an eye.

The cost of the drink is inconsequential anyways, it's the cost of packaging and transport that fuels the real cost.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

My wife who can't seem to finish a 12oz can.

I didn't think they cost more than standard cans though. I'll have to check the price when I'm at the store.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor

The reason being is the 20 oz. are refrigerated & the 2-liters (most of the time) are not.
It sometimes bothers me to know that I'm paying the same price for a 20 oz as I would the 2-liter, but I deal with it.

Back on topic: You won't find me buying an eight oz can anytime soon. In fact, I don't even recall seeing them yet.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I never buy the two liters because they always go flat by the time it's half empty. I just don't drink enough soda to justify buying that much.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Our household is the same. We just don't drink enough soda to empty a 2 liter before it goes flat. Now milk, that's another story. We go through atleast 6 gallons a week (for 4 people).

DouglasRobert

Second Unit
I guess these are for people who can't drink 12 ounces of liquid. Perhaps young children or something..

I can easily drink 2 or 3 or more cans of pop at a time if its really hot.

In terms of packaging, these are my favorites.
1. Glass bottles. The flavor is better IMO.
2. Cans. Portable and gets cold very quick.
3. Plastc bottles of any size. These are my least favorites. The flavor is not the best and 2 or 3 liter bottles, the pop goes flat so quick.

I remember back in the 70's when pop was basically available in either the tall glass bottles or cans. With the glass bottles, they came in a multi-pack and you paid a deposit, which here was 80 cents per pack. It was kind of cool to take a cart full of glass bottle packs back to the store and gets several bucks back from the store.

I guess its really not surprising to see this occur, when just about every food product in the past several decades have gotten smaller and smaller in size. Candy Bars used to be bigger, potato chip bags used to be 16 oz., but the price either stayed the same or actually gone up

I grew up in the 70's, and I don't recall these small 8 oz cans. Maybe it wasn't available here. But my family mostly bought pop in the glass bottles anyways, so that may be why I never saw them.

I personally like the glass bottles as the pop doesn't end up tasting like aluminum or plastic. Fortunately the Costco nearby routinely sells the 237ml (8 ounce) skinny glass bottles of the "real thing" (Coca-Cola Classic) in cases of 24. However, they are more expensive but SO much better than the cans. I save them for those really hot days.... There is nothing like pulling out an old-fashioned bottle opener and popping off the old bottlecaps (no twist off caps but it is fun to watch my friends try to twist them off). It is also a real conversation piece as most people haven't drank a Coke out of one of them for over 25 years...

Regards

Bryan

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

interestingly enough, that 2 liter bottle at 1.29 is about 5.6 12oz cans, how much is a 6 pack? Probably over 2 bucks. But there is the flatness issue, however I like to drink out of the 2 liter when it's in the fridge, often I just want 2 or three sips of soda and that's it.

I like that the super walmart here lables product prices with the unit price, and the price per whatever measurement, ounce or pound or whatever. Makes shopping easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks