What's new

The new Dr Who is............ (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's exciting news. Not what I would have thought of as an obvious Doctor actor, but a good actor. He should be able to make the role his own.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Which is the best casting choice I could have hoped for. Superb news. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Real Name
Anthony
I don't know about this. He's not known for his sense of humour. That'll be okay if they're going for a darker slant on it but I doubt it ; BBC policy has always been to treat DR WHO as a children's show first and foremost. It reminds me of when they cast Ralph Fiennes as Steed in THE AVENGERS.
Fiennes is excellent at playing humourless characters - totally wrong for something with such a surreal tone.

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I think he'll make a great edgy Doctor. Hes a great actor. I can just picture him shouting at the daleks. Very surreal... :D :emoji_thumbsup:

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

I'm sure that the new production team are well aware of the biggest failing of latter-day Who - it was more pantomime than drama. Too self-aware. Now with CE on board they have a chance to make a really good, quality science-fiction series (and hopefully add in more historical eps too). That doesn't mean "darker", though darker would be good. :) And why does the Doctor need to be funny? Personally, I hope he is serious (and not obnoxious), and that his companion is a Sarah-Jane, not an Ace. At its best, Doctor Who was an edgy family show which made you think, and wonder, and scramble for the back of the sofa.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
One good thing about this casting - the Doctor is always turning up in places and just taking control. Christopher Eccleston is one person who I could believe would have the authority to take charge immediately.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Any word on whether or not they will have a cameo by Paul McGann so they can do the regeneration...?

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Good news about McGann. I am unfamilier with this actor, and will have to pull out the Others to watch it again.

Looking forward to new Doctor Who, and hoping that Either BBC Canada, or BBC Kids picks it up here.

BTW, darker, edgy Episodes will be good, but don't remove ALL humor from the character.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Good actor. I wonder how it came down to him when they were looking at so many comedic actors.

Let's hope they dont give him a love interest companion like they did with the American Version a few years back.
The car chase didnt work either.

JasonDNJ

Grip
Can't wait to see this. I've been a fan for over 20 years. It's going to be interesting to see the show, as a concept, works with CGI instead of tin-foil space ships and visible fishing line wires :) Someone mentioned on another forum that the best way to restart the series, would be to use the Jon Pertwee concept (3rd Doctor) by having him exiled on Earth. This would be a great way to introduce the series to a while new audience. Perhaps have the Doctor be able to travel through Earth's history at first and then eventually through time and space.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
In this article there is an interesting quote from Russell T Davies, who is the main creative force behind the show.

That is the perfect description of what we want from a Doctor. I don't know about wit (I've never seen him in anything that has required it), but I know Eccleston can provide the rest.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I've seen 28 days and the Others but didn't really register his performance. I'm all for a return to the Doctor who has an edge. I grew up with Davidson and didn't think he was to bad. Watching Baker on reruns has been very enjoyable though.

Someone said Dr Who was always a family show first and foremost. Watching the Baker years as an adult doesn't give me that feeling though. If I didn't know it was a "childrens" show I certainly wouldn't have gotten that impresion from the show itself.

I only saw McCoy once and it sucked. Never saw the one after that.

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
This is good news and surprising because I knew nothing about this until I read this thread. Can anyone give me some links to other articles/sites on the new Dr. Who series? Also, does anyone know if and when we will get it in the USA? I get BBC America on DirecTV and thought they may carry it, anyone know?

Jools_S

Agent
McGann is not going to be in the new series.

They are throwing the Eccleston Doctor in at the deep end, so to speak.

Perhaps they might do a flashback later on, to show what happened to cause the regeneration, but they won't be doing it for Episode 1.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

Good! The less I have to remember about that dreadful TV Movie, the better.

Actually, I'd be quite happy if they brought Davison back for the regeneration scene. Eccleston's first line could be: "What a nightmare!" ;) :D

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Just so long as it doesn't take months for it to come to the US like it used to. Hopefully it'll be broadcast over cable or satellite soon after it airs in GB (if not the same week).

Mike

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

I don't know. It would be one thing to skip Paul McGann's single appearance as the Doctor (he's like the George Lazenby of Dr. Who), and another to skip three Doctors.

I don't know if I'm in the minority or not, but I never had a problem with Colin Baker or Sylvester McCoy. I think their performances were faithful to the spirit of Dr. Who.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks