What's new

the new civic (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Supporting Actor
Hi, I am looking to buy a civic. I am ready to buy the 2005 and I'll have to act soon cause it seems there going to be gone soon. Can anyone tell me about the new 2006 model. I read here that they are going to have a new V-tec engine in them, I am assuming this is gonna drive the price up, something I am trying to avoid.
I need opinions, fast, on what to do, buy now, or wait for the new one. I think I also heard from my uncle that this is gonna be the next, I guess you could call it, generation of civics. I guess they kinda redo them every few years or so, I may be way off mark here, I really don't know anything.
thanks

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
My question would be that this new engine has a 10:1 compression ratio and would that require higher octane fuel (ie premium vs regular)? In olden days it would, but those clever Japanese engineers come up with all kinds of neat stuff.

If you plan on keeping it a long time, I'd opt for the end of the year model at the lower price. If you're one that gets new cars every four or five years, then the newer model would probably have more residual value longer.

Mort

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Honda doesn't generally release pricing and details about the following year's models until September 1st. This is a redesign year for the Civic (they do it about every five years) and I would bet the price will definitely take a jump. In fact, while all of the American auto companies were slashing prices, Honda imposed a mid-sales year price increase this spring due to rising component costs. Still, it's hard to argue with the quality of the Honda. Everyone is my family has them and they seem to last forever. I'm of the opinion that the current Civic is underpowered (except the Si, of course) Not knowing what the price of the '06, I would be tempted to wait. In fact, even after the '06 pricing is announced, you'll probably still be able to find new '05 models, although you may have to be willing to sacrifice on color or trim level.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
so you think the price will release sept 1st. Hopefully. I want this car soon!
So, does release of the 2006 price coincide with the stop production of the 2005?

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I can't say for sure, but the V6 Hondas are 10:1 and will run fine on 87 octane, with power slightly reduced from the rated value (240hp, in the case of the V6). I'm guessing the new Civic will be the same. This is Honda's official line, not internet heresay.

Google up the new Civic. It's a bit weird looking. I was considering the new Hybrid, but the style... not sure about.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Pricing info on new models is almost never released until very shortly before or simultaneously with their appearance at dealerships.

A 10/1 compression ratio these days need not require premium gas, and I can't imagine Honda putting a premium gas engine in it's bread and butter economy car.

I also don't see them significantly raising the sticker price--it is pretty much an entry level car after all, albeit a quality little vehicle.

Actual selling price is likely to be significantly higher than the 05s as discounts are likely to be few and far between on the new-generation model for the first few months. The higher resale value of the newer model vs the old generation may compensate unless they shoot themselves in the foot again as they did when the introduced the current Civic which eliminated the double wishbone front suspension so loved on the previous models.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
drives good, extremely reliable, has a good lease rate. $250/m CDN
Anyways, I really need to convince my parents to lease this car, not myself. :D

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I know three people that have bought Hondas (a Civic, a CR-V and a Pilot) in the last month and all of them were offered invoice price.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My 10 year old Kawasaki GPz1100 has an 11:1 compression ratio and calls for good ol' 87 octane. It can be done, and with great gas mileage to boot!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Fortunately, the 2006 Honda Civic's R18 1.8-liter engine (rated at 140 bhp SAE) won't need premium unleaded gas, thanks to variable valve timing, very careful combustion chamber design, and built-in knock sensors.

It's supposed to be 6% more fuel-efficient than the current Civic engine, so I expect the new Civic to sport quite good performance even without going to the 200 bhp Civic Si coupé model. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks