What's new

The NEW Big Juice Theater!! (1 Viewer)

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Yeah Ron, I thought you were nuts when you built your HT in there. But when you gave the reasoning for not needing the second garage car spot it made sense, and I could have dealt with that. But the main difference between us is...I'M IN OHIO!!! And it's freezing cold out side right now! My girlfriend's car was in the garage last night and when I went to get in my car today, it was covered in snow! Needless to say I took her car today. ;)

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley

I'm the same way LaMarcus.. it's a balmy -39 C with the windchill today in Toronto. Good Canadian winter weather :laugh:

Besides, I like a car in the morning where I don't have to wipe off snow or wait for 20 minutes for it to warm up. However, I think Ron's theatre is very cool (as in style, not temperature ;) )

Cheers from a cold, miserable day in TO
Andrew

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
How quickly we forget! Reading your posts above reminds me where we lived before moving to our current home. The garage was one of those it's-cheaper-to-store-all-the-crap-in-there-than-paying-for-storage kind of places, and I had to get up every morning and scrape windows and warm the car. Anyway, we're having an El Nino winter here this year.

Hey, LaMarcus, how does your back surround set up sound? I am so indecisive as where to put mine, since it will be the first time with 2 rows. Does the front row sound as good as the back, which appears to have the surrounds right at them? I am going to have my Berklines up front and see myself sitting there most often.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I had to make a hard decision when it came to my second row. When I first created the theater I originally had my surrounds by the second row seats. Sat in the front row and did the calibration from there. Then I would change it, and sit in the second row and calibrate the sound from just behind the front row but in front of the second.

I found that the surrounds were too loud in the second row, and just right in the front. Or they'd be just right in the second but not loud enuff in the front. Not to mention the level of the center speaker when making the calibrations. But I made the decision that since I set mostly in the first row, and barely have any company in the second row, to move my surrounds right behind the first row. The sound is completely different setting in the second row, it's does not engulf you. The surround info sounds like it stops in front of you.

So you have to make a choice, do you want the sound to be better for guest? Who come over ever so often. Or do you want the sound to be better for you? Who's there all the time and actually paid for it. Easy choice when you add that last part. ;)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Thanks Andrew. I've actually been in the process of a complete revamp and should be done in a month or so. Once done I'll get all new pics up as well.

I am fortunate to live in a very modest climate area with little to no extremes. Even during the summer months I rarely kicked on the A/C unit. It has since been removed with only vents to take it's place. During summer I can set the A/C unit near the vent opening and intake cool air if need. Being that I rarely used it I did not want it sitting there all year round.

Andrew Stoakley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Stoakley
Ron,

Nice, looking forward to seeing the revamp. Toronto's not to too bad. It's not like I live near Polar Bear National Park (just below Hudson's Bay) :) I find with my theatre in the basement, the air temp pretty much stays around the same during the winter. Once I added the Dri-Core subfloor, my basement stays a relative 70 F all year round. It gets a little damp in the summer from the humidity, however, I rarely watch movies in the summer.

Have fun with the redo. Keep us up-to-date on the progress

Cheers,
Andrew

PS: Always love your beer recommendations.. wish I could get some of them up here. If you get a chance to sample, I would suggest Creemore Springs. Best indie brew in Canada IMO.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the response, LaMarcus. Part of me wants to impress people who come over, not wanting any "he paid how much for something that sounds like this?!" But I also want to enjoy my new Berklines up front without losing any great surround SFX. Decisions, decisions!

I see needing an AC unit for my theater because, although the Pacific Northwest USED to be a fairly cool place to live, the last 3 summers have been FREAKING HOT!!! Of course, if I buy AC for it, the temp will probably be cooler this summer. But better safe than sorry!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I mean don't get me wrong, you can set up your sound to where it sounds "good" for the front and back by placing the surrounds behind or to the side of your second row. But to make it sound great, go with the Dolby recommendation of slightly behind the listening position, which is unfortunately in front of the second row. I immediately heard the difference of the surround info when I moved the speakers up.

Do like I do when company comes over, give'em the sweet spot for a demo, then when it's time to watch an actual movie, say what Wolverine would say " Move over bub ".

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I had my surround speakers aligned almost perfectly in the bedroom (before the wife wanted to change the room and I had to move them downstairs) and Pink Floyd's DSOTM was awesome with that swirling sound, so I am looking forward to replicating that in the HT room. Since I will be the majority watcher (and listener), I guess the 2nd row will have to "make due." :D

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I changed the picture of the front screen for an better over all view. The old picture was too dark and too closed. You really couldn't see what it looked like. Enjoy.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wow, thanks for the complement Neil. I'm really enjoying the new big screen life, I wish I could have done it a long time ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks