The New Avengers TV series on DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin McCorry, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

Steed, Purdey, & Gambit are now together on DVD. Contender Video in the U.K. has released all 26 episodes on DVD. I just got my set today and am watching the episodes. Prints are the same as the ones aired on Canada's BRAVO! TV channel in 1998-9, except for "Obsession" and "Lion and the Unicorn"
    which are now uncut (BRAVO!'s prints of these were missing 4 minutes each). Quality is decent though not exceptional. One episode, "Complex", has a great deal of artifacts, and "Three-Handed Game" has the same fluctuating audio speed that was evident on BRAVO! The package is good, with disc 1
    coming with a collectible episode guide booklet. All discs are in transparent Amarays with three-pronged hubs. Can't tell if these are Region 2 or Region 0 since nothing is marked to this effect on DVD cases. I'm fairly certain they're PAL though as there is some noticable speed-up.

So glad this series has made it to DVD. Don't know yet if it ever will reach DVD in its entirety in North America.

2. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Interesting! Although I have always been a big fan of the Rigg-era Avengers, I did find the New Avengers program worthwhile and might consider this, though I would really prefer to get an R1 NTSC version.

3. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

These aren't showing up at any of my usual R2 etailers -- but as luck would have it I am going over to London shortly. Thanks for the timely tip.

4. Kevin McCorry

Kevin McCorry Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand, these discs are exclusive to MVC.co.uk though that may change in coming months.

5. Christopher D

This is a find -- thanks for the tip. Shipping to the US is only 2.35! The set certainly looks like it's worth the 45 pounds.
    Here's the direct link. It sure can be expensive cruising this forum!

6. Jonathan Kaye

Jonathan Kaye Second Unit

MVC is also a retailer (in fact, the e-tailing is an offshoot of their retail shops). You pay a cheaper price if you're a member (membership is free).

As it happens, I recall seeing the New Avengers set when I was in their London Bridge store on Monday!

7. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

I saw this in my local MVC a few weeks ago. The set comes as a series of clear plastic amrays (I think 6) contained in a outer cardboard sleeve (open at the front). Seemed a good price if you are interested.

Based upon previous experience would expect a 6 to 12 month exclusive window at MVC before available in other stores.

8. Michael St. Clair

I would actually consider buying this if it comes to R1.

I am NOT buying the Tara King episodes of the original series.

9. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I'm still waiting for A&E to come out with a complete Tara King collection, then I'd buy a Complete Purdy and Gambit Collection. Unfortunateli I just couldn't get into the pre-Emma Peel Episodes.

10. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    I'd love for A&E to bring The New Avengers to the US... that would be great. Not a huge fan, but still nice to have the option.

11. Christopher D

I'm afraid it's going to be hard to take this seriously now after Joanna Lumley in Absolutely Fabulous, but we'll see . . . .

12. Christopher D

I just received the set -- it looks excellent, especially given the reasonable price. Note to those considering this, though, it is shipped without any packaging material for protection. My shipping box got fairly well mutilated on its voyage from (for some reason) Switzerland, and this carried over to the very thin outer cardboard slipcase for the set. Not a big deal at all (keepcases were perfect and discs were not floating), but a warning to those who are condition sensitive.

Looks like a great deal, esp. given the rarity of the program. Many thanks again for the tip.

13. Mark Tay

Mark Tay Stunt Coordinator

14. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

Glad to see DeepDiscount has finally seen the error of their ways. I was going to pass on this set as they originally had it priced at $59.94 — a mere 25% discount while all their other A&E products are discounted 46.8%. Now that they've dropped it to $42.53 I definitely intend to pick it up.
    This is the second time A&E has arranged for an exclusive release with a retailer (the Space: 1999 bonus disc is only available in Mega sets sold through Best Buy). Anyone else think A&E plans to do even more of this in the future? Appears to me that they're looking for some upfront money from the retailers to help cover their production costs. In exchange, the retailer gets an exclusive on all sales of the item.