What's new

The NEW Anthem AVM-20 Thread (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
BruceD,

All I was saying is that the Anthem x-over seems to be adjustable in 10Hz increments instead of 20.

I recently auditioned the B&K AVR307 and it is adjustable in 1 Hz increments. I found this to be an important feature in getting the most out of my system. I'm only extrapolating from this experience that it may be better to have a x-over that allows for 10Hz adjustments as opposed to 20 in getting the most out of my system. And of course, no offense taken. I'm glad I was able to spark some more debate on this topic.

Jeff

BruceD

Screenwriter
Jeff,

Maybe, but I think the Triple xover may be more important unless you have 5 identical speakers.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Evan and Bruce,

Well, I did say it was interesting, but I did not say it was ideal. It is true that if you have your room's bass EQ'ed, it would not make much sense to change the processor's crossover.

Michael

ClaudeD

Grip
Pardon my ignorance, but I haven't been paying much attention to the 950 threads because I'm happy with my Casanova; the Anthem interests me because of the Analog DSP mode.

However, did I understand correctly that the 950 doesn't do speaker time alignment? If that's the case, it would seem that it should not be considered by anyone whose speakers aren't very close to equidistant. Speaker mis-timing is much more destructive of musical enjoyment that a slightly less than completely flexible bass management capability.

Please tell me I'm wrong, and that the usually informed members of the various HT forums haven't lost their minds in touting a pre-pro with a zillion format options that omits one of the most basic and necessary capabilities.

Claude

BruceD

Screenwriter
Claude,

It includes time alignment, it just doesn't differentiate within the classes of speakers, i.e. treats all surrounds with the same time alignment.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
With respect to the question of the Anthem having different crossovers for different modes, this is not possible because crossover and large vs small settings are adjustable only via the setup menu, which is independent of sources and modes. However, the Anthem does maintain 2 setup memories, called user and installer memories. So if desired, one could create a couple of macros with a remote (but not Anthem's) to recall one or the other setup. A couple of limitations: there is no current display of which setup the unit is in, so one is typically forced to use the desired macro before each listening session if you don't remember which one was recalled last. Secondly, any setup changes that should apply to both setups need to be made to both; something that can easily be overlooked.

Alternatively, one can punch in the different crossover setting for each listening session.

Yea, they're all ugly. Personally, my needs are covered just by using Analog Direct vs Digital.

Doug

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I guess we can all agree that it would be nice to have the added versitility of the triple x-over on the 950. Also, it would be nice to have the individually set speaker timings of the AVM-20.

But what about THX certification? It's lacking on the 950. And how important is DPL2? The 950 has it now for no added cost. Finally, how important is the web based software upgrade capability of the Anthem?

Jeff

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
IMO:

Web based upgrade is a tremendous plus. Who wants to break dowen there system to bring the thing in for God knows how long for them to upgrade then bring it back and re-hook it up? SUCKS! Plug in the PC punch the silly keys and whalla! Al done! (I dont know how difficult or hard this REALLY is,this is purly specualtion and opinion).

My onkyo 989 has DPLII and I think it does a great job at making stereo sound more like 5.1 (most of the time). I thought prologic was crap. This is an improvement. Solution, buy the anthem when it is upgraded if you need the DPLII (like I plan on doing). Maybe I am crazy but $300 bucks for DPLII, Ultra2 and DTS-ES does not seem very expensive to me.

Marc

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I wasn't sure whether to bump this thread again or start a new one, but for those interested, the AVM-20 became part of our system this afternoon. I was able to pick up the demo unit (in great shape!) I used last weekend, but could only shave off about 10% (such is the cost-of-living in the San Jose - San Francisco, CA area).
Our AVM-20 is in black (wife prefers black components) and had software version 1.10. The first thing I did when I got it home was install the latest software from Sonic Frontier's web site, version 1.12, before putting the AVM-20 into our system. I picked up a 10' serial cable for future upgrades when the AVM-20 is connected to the system. It took less than 10 minutes to download the update application and instructions and to perform the actual update. All went smoothly! :)
I can't begin to tell you how much our system has improved over our prior setups, and since it is late at night and I have work tomorrow, I won't. But let me just say that the clincher for us was the audition of the Bryston BP-25 preamp we had this weekend at home. We were given the opportunity to audition the BP-25, which the analog sections of Bryston's SP-1 and soon-to-be-released SP1.7 processors are based on. Here is a paragraph from an email I sent someone describing the Bryston audition vs. the AVM-20 audition:
"The BP-25 was very detailed, had great bass impact, and a wide dynamic range for the music. The AVM-20 is very close to the BP-25 in those respects, and certainly as detailed. But for some reason, the middle of the music was far more potent and fluid with the AVM-20 than the BP-25. It wasn't even a close contest. Vocals, piano, brass, strings, and guitars (what's left?) all seemed more lifelike with the AVM-20, with the body and weight one would hope for in hearing these instruments. My wife and I wanted to buy the AVM-20 on the spot last weekend, that's how impressed we were, but we wanted to at least try the Bryston before making a decision. I don't figure the SP1.7 to be much different in analog bypass mode compared to the BP-25, so maybe we have made our choice."
That's it for now. My thanks to those individuals who answered my questions about the AVM-20 (and other processors). Now, if I could just get this stupid, silly grin off of my face, I could go to sleep. :)
Michael

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Michael, awesome comments. It's nice to know that a component of this sort can compete with not only the Integras and Rotels of the world, but is good competition for the Classe's and Brystons as well. I must say I'm jealous as my unit is still on backorder due to the headquarter shifting of SF/Anthem and I anxiously await the day I can put this unit through it's paces and report back as you have. Please post further thoughts as you span the gamit of what the unit can do.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

John_Charles

Agent
Michael,
Congratulations, and well said! I've had my '20 since November, and posted the first review for it at AudioReview.com. It is obvious that the good folks at Sonic Frontiers did their homework, as the AVM' rivals my SF Line I in 2-channel performance. As a matter of fact, the response I posted over at AVS a month or so ago sums up my experience nicely:
"Not only will the '20 challenge top-end processors and very good 2-channel preamps, but it is an obvious benchmark (Link Removed) for fidelity and features in A/V processors below (IMO): price-bar-none. There are some that may currently better it in one or a few areas of sonic reproduction or another; but as a whole, it'll be the rare component that handily beats it in every area in the here and now and is worth the difference in price. That decision of course depends on the buyer (one man's tea, etc.), but even if it were two, three… …ten times the '20's asking price, will it quantifiably be that much better reproducing the event at hand? The general ROI rule-of-thumb is pretty well logarithmic and indicates otherwise. There is also the extremely rare possibility that there exists an A/V Preamp that is less expensive, sounds better, built better, and is at least as flexible… If so, kudos to that company or individual(s) that produce it and to those who purchase it!"
"Nonetheless technology advances, prices fall, and there are new croppings-up pushing their respective envelopes on a regular basis, and many of today's darlings will be next year's flash-in-the-pan. Although given how it performs along with a certain design to stay off near-future obsolescence vs. the availabilities of an advancing industry, Anthem will be satisfying its customers with the '20 for a long time to come."
For the sake of warm fuzzies, the on-line reports such as (and including the above):
http://www.audioreview.com/pscAmplif...1_2719crx.aspx)
http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...them_avm20.htm
http://www.audiorevolution.com/
Have merely substantiated what I've known for months, and am glad others are getting to experience it - one smile at a time...
Warm regards,
John_Charles (A.K.A. AirCeej)

Ron Alcasid

Stunt Coordinator
A question for those of you who already have an AVM 20. What are it's actual dimensions? Here are the various measurements I've found...

AVM 20 spec sheet: 17.25" W x 5.75" H x 14.25" D

Secrets of HT Hi Fi Review: 19" W x 6.25" H x 16.25" D

HT Sound Review: 17.25" W x 6.9" H x 17.25" D

There are some wild deviations. I ordered my AVM 20 on February 18th and I'm getting soo tired of waiting for it to come in. I'm seriously thinking of building a cardboard replica :b.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Ron,

"AVM 20 spec sheet: 17.25" W x 5.75" H x 14.25" D"

I took some quick measurements before leaving for work today and the above numbers are correct. One additional note to the depth value, this is for the case and does not include the depth of the front control knob (~7/8") and the back panel connectors (~5/8 for IR trigger box). So, I would add at least 1.5" to the depth measurement of 14.25" if you are about to place your AVM-20 in a restricted space like an entertainment center cabinet or closet.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks