What's new

The New 7 Wonders of the World (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Yes, completed about 1740, according to the records. It's in Plymouth, MA, right in the center of town, near where the Pilgrims settled. In fact, its front yard is the spot of the first Thanksgiving feast. You figure there'd have been a sign or plaque somewhere, but there's none.

I love old houses. Its floorboards are about 18" wide. The floors are held up by actual logs, still very much in tree-shape.

CJ

Trey Fletcher

Second Unit

Not a bad list. Though I would've like to have seen Angkor Wat in place of either Mach Picchu or Christ the Redeemer.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Brazil was pushing the contest hard, so I think the votes were skewed in that direction.
As far as big-ass statues go, I think the one in the mouth of the Hudson is far more iconic.

The only one on the list I've visited is Chichen Itza, which truly was spectacular.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
How Christ the Redeemer could win over something like the Golden Gate Bridge (or the Eiffel Tower or the Sistene Chapel) is beyond me.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
What are the criteria for this list? Degree of difficulty to build the thing, overall beauty of it, or what?

There are plenty of bridges that are more "wonders" than the Golden Gate, as far as engineering goes.

Was there a limit for how old something could be to make the new list? If not, I don't see how the Great Pyramid could be left off- just consider the technology at the time it was built and how long it has lasted.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member

I was going with a blend of the two, but haven't really given it much thought. I think it should reflect a wonder that humans could build something so grand. Christ the Redeemer, to my knowledge, wasn't difficult to engineer/construct, and was voted purely on perceived beauty. Likewise, there are probably more impressive bridges engineering-wise than GGB (though GGB was pretty darn amazing) but aren't are aesthetically captivating. (IMHO.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks