1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The New 7 Wonders of the World

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Holadem, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    Yes, completed about 1740, according to the records. It's in Plymouth, MA, right in the center of town, near where the Pilgrims settled. In fact, its front yard is the spot of the first Thanksgiving feast. You figure there'd have been a sign or plaque somewhere, but there's none.

I love old houses. Its floorboards are about 18" wide. The floors are held up by actual logs, still very much in tree-shape.

CJ

2. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Not a bad list. Though I would've like to have seen Angkor Wat in place of either Mach Picchu or Christ the Redeemer.

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I'd remove Christ The Redeemer and replace it with the Acropolis.....now THAT is a wonder that is on par with the Pyramids of Giza and the Colosseum. It's a beautiful monument, but I don't think the Redeemer statue belongs on this list.

.....then again, that internet poll is nothing but a popularity contest. Something like this should have been determined by Archaeologists and Historians IMHO.

4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Brazil was pushing the contest hard, so I think the votes were skewed in that direction.
    As far as big-ass statues go, I think the one in the mouth of the Hudson is far more iconic.

The only one on the list I've visited is Chichen Itza, which truly was spectacular.

5. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

How Christ the Redeemer could win over something like the Golden Gate Bridge (or the Eiffel Tower or the Sistene Chapel) is beyond me.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

What are the criteria for this list? Degree of difficulty to build the thing, overall beauty of it, or what?

There are plenty of bridges that are more "wonders" than the Golden Gate, as far as engineering goes.

Was there a limit for how old something could be to make the new list? If not, I don't see how the Great Pyramid could be left off- just consider the technology at the time it was built and how long it has lasted.

7. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

8. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

I was going with a blend of the two, but haven't really given it much thought. I think it should reflect a wonder that humans could build something so grand. Christ the Redeemer, to my knowledge, wasn't difficult to engineer/construct, and was voted purely on perceived beauty. Likewise, there are probably more impressive bridges engineering-wise than GGB (though GGB was pretty darn amazing) but aren't are aesthetically captivating. (IMHO.)