What's new

The New 7 Wonders of the World (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Voting for the New 7 Wonders of the World closes in a few hours...

Article: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...wonders06.html

Official Site: http://www.new7wonders.com/index.php

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sev...s_of_the_World

I've seen 3 off that list: Eiffel Tower, Kiyomizu Temple and... The Statue of Liberty ( :confused: ). I need to get out more...

There are some legitimate legitimacy concerns, but it's a fun exercise methinks.

I didn't make the final list, but I plan to present myself again next time.

--
H

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think as I was a baby, I was even in the hand of the statue of liberty.. Now the folks are trying to reopen it I think but it's been closed like forever now...

I've been to the eiffel tower and a very small part of the Great Wall.

Jay

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
H,
You voted for yourself as a wonder of the world? :laugh:

My vote would go to.......

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well no. 6 of them are quite gone. And they were more like the 7 wonders of the Mediterranean. And surely, some wonderful things have emerged in the couple of thousands of years since.

--
H

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
When my house was built, the Great Pyramid was still the tallest structure on Terra.
That changed 4 years later when the Eiffel Tower was completed. So, I think Eiffel is wonderful.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
It's amazing to think of the things that weren't here at certain times in the past. When the Eiffel Tower was completed in 1889, my parents' house was already 150 years old :eek:

CJ

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
It will be interesting to see how the judges decide. To me there are several no-brainers: the Pyramids of Giza, the Great Wall of China, and the Taj Mahal. But there are several other great world heritage places left off the list entirely like the Daibutsu of Kamakura.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

The seven wonders of the world, as noted by Herodotus.

1. The great pyramid of Giza (only wonder still in good condition)

2. Hanging gardens of Babylon. (not just flowers as strange animals would also be on display... think Bronx Zoo) Buried beneath the sands of Iraq.

3. Statue of Zeus @ Olympia. Destroyed in a series of earthquakes, thefts, and attempted relocations, all but destroyed and lost by 500AD.

4. Temple of Artemis @ Ephesus. Nothing left but a foundation outline.

5. Mausoleum of King Maussollos. Located in Turkey it was salvaged for new constructions through the 16th century.

6. Colossus; Rhodes, Greece. Destoryed by Earthquake and sold to a Syrian in the 7th century. (A historical and scientific study of how the Colossus was likely posed was copied by Auguste Bartholdi when he designed the statue of liberty).

7. Lighthouse; Alexandria, Egypt. Remained in fair condition until the 15th century (It was well documented and accurate building plans are available). A series of Earthquakes knocked some of it into the Mediterranian, the rest was salvaged to build a military fort in the same location. (Many of the larger chunks in the sea are popular SCUBA-diving attractions.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Not surprising if they live on the east coast. My hometown's year of establishment is 1793 — less than two decades after the declaration of independence. And it was spun off from the town of Watervliet, which was settled in 1643!

I work part time at my town's Parks and Recreation department, and we have a riverfront park where evidence suggests Henry Hudson made landfall during his journey up his namesake river.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Was that the empty beer bottles with "Amstelredam" embossed on the bottom?

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I'd include the Acropolis of Athens, Greece, too. If it weren't for that attack by a Venetian rocket in 1687, most of the Parthenon would have survived to the modern day.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
I just spout the PR they hand me. There's probably something in the State Library that makes the connection. The river narrows north past there, though, so I imagine he turned around somewhere around there.

You could probably go down to the park right now and find a few empty beer bottles with "Anheuser-Busch" on them, though.:)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
The Sistine Chapel is also one of those that's pretty stunning. The Taj Mahal, Great Wall of China, Sphinx..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks