The new 2003 Hyundai Tiburon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Moe Maishlish, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

A few weeks ago, I was driving home and pulled up to this car that I mistakingly mistook as a Toyota Supra (from the front).
    As it pulled away, I saw the recognizable Hyunday "H" on the back. When I got home, I looked it up, and lo and behold... it's the new 2003 Hyundai Tiburon.
    Check out some pics here -> http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/hyun...4a/photos.html
    Anyway, doing some research I found out the GT version of this car is pretty loaded, including a 2.6 Litre V6 six speed, with something like 181 Horses under the hood.
    Yikes!
    I toyed with the idea of purchasing a 2002 Tirubon last year, but after a test drive I didn't find myself enamoured with the vehicle. I didn't find that it offered much of an improvement to my aging 1994 Civic Si (which I love). Plus, the older look of the Tiburon was somewhat lost on me.
    But I've gotta admit - the sleek and styled new look of the 2003 is pretty eye catching, and the specs look pretty sweet! And it's pretty reasonably priced.
    Anyone else have any experience with this car?
    Moe.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Saw this at the NY Auto Show last night and was taken aback myself ...

Nice car, clean lines and the GT looks real aggressive looking. The interior was very modern as well without being cheesy.

Great job on Hyundai's part!

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Did you see the engine on that thing? Now thats weird.
    BTW, I really like my cheap, little '99 Hyundai Accent [​IMG]

5. Jeff Burke

Jeff Burke Auditioning

The new Tibby is a great looking car. I own a 2001 5 speed and couldn't be happier with it. Put about 30000 kilometers on it in just under a year and have not have had one problem at all. Of course even if there is a problem you can't beat a 10 year warranty. Hyundai has really turned their act around in the past couple of years with some of their cars being listed in several major car magazines as best buys.

6. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

My friends and I call it the Pauper's 456 GT. Hmm...I wonder if Hyundai thinks that Ferrari buyers cross-shop them?

8. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It's a nice looking car but I'll never buy another Hyundai. The first car I bought was a '92 Elantra and it spent almost as much time in the shop as it did on the road.

9. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Finally got around to driving an '03 Tiburon today.
    I'm in love.
    [​IMG]
    Now, if I could only find a job so I could buy one...

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I won't be buying another Hyundai either. My family bought 2 1993 Excels new and both had their transmissions die under 80,000 kilometers (45,000 miles?), the first just out of warranty, and mine just recently (I don't drive much).

The company itself was completely uncooperative. No more Hyundais for me.

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I heard it was styled by Pinanfarina, same guys who does some of Ferarri's cars. With styling cues from the Mustang.
    The V6 is the 181hp SantaFe engine as I recall...
    Nice car [​IMG]

12. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

The new Tiburon looks pretty nice. The previous version was a little too cartoonish for my liking with the big flared fenders.

Hyundai's still haven't gotten to the point where I'd buy one. Their poor reliability in previous models still haunts them. They need quite a few years near the top of the JD Power's customer satisfaction index before I'd even allow a friend to look at one.

Patrick

13. Chris Derby

Chris Derby Second Unit

My biggest complaint about fender flares (on any car) is that the factories never fill them out. If you're gonna put flares on a car, put some decent sized, wide wheels under them so the vehicle gets that aggressive look you're going for.

On a side note, it looks like BMW has gotten away from the fender flares on the new 8-series. Its a shame, too. That car has definately lost its "edge".

14. AviTevet

AviTevet Stunt Coordinator

Car & Driver did a comparo with them... you might want to search c&d's site for it.

15. Mark Hamilton

Mark Hamilton Stunt Coordinator

I bought my 2003 Tibby in March (I also launched www.newtiburon.com with some friends). I was skeptical about buying a Hyundai product, especially since I had been debating between an Acura RSX and a Toyota Celica prior to seeing the Tiburon for the first time
    I'v past 25,000KMs now and I'v been pretty happy. Build quality and fit-and-finish is light years ahead of most domestic compact cars.... but I'd hesitate to say that it's quite in Celica/RSX territory yet.
    An another note, a friend has ordered an Alpine Supercharger for his 2k3 Tibby GT. [​IMG] That's gonna be interesting....

16. Scott L

Scott L Producer

You chose a Tiburon over an RSX?
    [​IMG]

17. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

From what I've heard, the Tiburon GT can blow the RSX out of the water in terms of performance...
    And the pricetag on a GT (or even the high-end GSR) is far more affordable than an RSX...
    From what I've heard... [​IMG]
    Moe.

18. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Isn't 181hp from a 2.7L V6 a little on the low side? I get 150 from my car's puny 2L 4 cylinder.

Adam

19. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Well I picked up a 2003 Tiburon GT a couple of months ago, and I have no complaints. I decided on it mostly at a value level, there wasn't anything else on the market that offered similiar performance, similiar options, decent styling for anywhere near the same money. About the only thing that got close was the new Civic Si, but when it comes to options it looks pretty stripped down in a comparison.

About the only real question will be reliability, the Honda/Acura/Toyota's are certainly a known when it comes to reliability, but we have a 3 car household and are good friends with the local rental car place, so I felt this was a good gamble.

As to comparing it to a 94 Civic Si (I still own one....well highly modified anyways), it's not going to be much of a comparison, the Tibby has more power, better handling, more options. The interior is comfortable to be in (at least for me). The ride is a bit rougher, and the 17" tires are noisy (but they stick to the road like crazy).

Overall I'm happy with my choice.

Andrew

20. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

I believe that the 181 hp figure was overrated....do a search around the Net....Hyundai has apparently been over rating their vehicles in terms of hp (not sure on torque) for a number of years. They got caught recently.

I think that even their latest ads still post their old hp figures. With so much confusion, one doesn't know who to believe anymore.

BTW, a co-worker of mine who is a recent Hyundai Sante Fe owner was offered a couple of options in light of the above. I think that he chose an extra year or the associated mileage on one of the warranties.

Dave