What's new

The new 18" from Adire? (1 Viewer)

Chris Popovich

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone model this in either vented or sealed boxes? I'm thinking of two of them in small (23" cube) boxes eq'd.
Chris

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
It doesn't look like they are shipping it yet. They are taking preorders.
Edit: Oh, I get what you mean...duh!
blush.gif

------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

[Edited last by Bill Catherall on August 10, 2001 at 07:42 PM]

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Dan W. gives some recommended alignments in this thread , and it was recently included in Adire's LspCAD. I've played with it some, but haven't come up with something I'm really happy with yet. I like the idea of applying the Linkwitz transform to a small box, but I keep running into excursion problems earlier than I think I should.
The reflex box I've liked best is the 283l tuned to 18 Hz that Dan gave. With just a stock AVA250, looks like some serious SPL in 10 ft^3. 320l tuned to 12 hz looks like fun, I get an in-room F3 of 9 Hz (using the 3db summation factor, which appears more conservative).
[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on August 10, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

JohnA

Stunt Coordinator
What size cut out does this (Maelstrom) require?
I am thinking of converting my tempest box (process of being built) to utilize a Maelstrom. It would be 220l in volume but, the bottom is getting tight for the driver and port(s) if I use the Maelstrom. I assumed a 16 7/8 diamter cutout. I need exact dimensions to see if I can make this work. Also, any ideas on port diameter I was thinking 4" but, 5" might be better.
What length center tube and what diameter for a single port to tune to 25Hz? Thanks for any comments.
I am trying to follow the "HT" configuration layed out by Dan W in a different thread.
-JohnA

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
No idea about the cutout, John. Dan might have that info., but I can't imagine the drivers being shipped before late September, so you've got some time.
Plugging your specs into LspCAD (220l, Fb=25Hz) shows a 6" port (preferred)only 9.5" long, or two 4" ports 5.4" long each. In my opinion, less porting than this is strangling this driver. Even with this much, port airspeed hovers around 20 m/s @ Fb with 250 watts applied.
I think it would sound better tuning to 20Hz. The "home theater" alignment gets lots of SPL at and above 25Hz, but the curve looks butt-ugly. The rather sharp knee doesn't bode well for transient response. And a 25Hz tune makes some kind of subsonic filtering very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks