What's new

International The NeverEnding Story 4K (German) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Really impressed with the video quality. The HDR is wonderful, and adds a much need boost in color depth. It was literally like seeing it for the first time. Pretty cool that this exists, and I'm glad to own it.

IMG_4286.JPG

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to add that this is the "German cut" that contains scenes not in the U.S theatrical version. I thought they were all good, but fans of the film may feel differently.

Also opening title words, and end credits are all German with no "NeveEnding Story" pop song over end credits with music score replacement instead.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'd like to add that this is the "German cut" that contains scenes not in the U.S theatrical version. I thought they were all good, but fans of the film may feel differently.

Also opening title words, and end credits are all German with no "NeveEnding Story" pop song over end credits with music score replacement instead.
I was just going to mention this.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I think the added, and extended scenes fleshed out the film even more. Like near the beginning with Bastian at home. There are small moments that just show that he is lost, and emotionally fragile. When reading the book he starts to go through all these emotions of fear, anger, sadness that help him.

The biggest issue I had with this German cut is that the scene is which Bastian writes a note, and it is displayed in German. Other than that this is the version the director wanted audiences to see, and being a casual fan of the U.S theatrical this version is the first time I viewed it where it actually clicked and resonated with me.

Last edited:

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The biggest deal-breaker for some people will be that the German cut doesn't have Limhal song in it -- though there's a music video for it in the special features. It also has German text for all of the insert shots, like of the book itself. Otherwise, most of the differences are minor enough that they won't bother anyone who doesn't have the entire film committed to memory.

There is has been some DNR applied to it, however. The grain isn't completely gone, but it's definitely smoothed out, and the detail can get a little lost in medium to long shots. Closeups still look good, though. The audio is also lossy DTS-HD HR.

It's still a big upgrade over any of the domestic Blu-rays, and I definitely recommend it, but those are all things worth knowing up front.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It doesn't sound like the Limahl song has ever been a part of the German version of the film:

This Limahl song, along with other "techno-pop" treatments to the soundtrack, is not present in the German version of the film, which features Doldinger's orchestral score exclusively. (Wikipedia)

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
No, it hasn't. That's why it's not on the disc, except as a special feature.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Seeing the film without the song was a better experience. I always thought the song (which is decent) overpowered the tone of the film, and detracted from the experience. Now I know I was right.

BTW I love Youtube free movies with ads which allowed me to make my comparison quick, and easy.

Last edited:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just got this delivered today. Thanks for creating this thread to let us know about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks