The need to re-word the "Modified" disclaimer...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    When J6P reads, "This film has been modified from its original version... it has been formatted to FIT YOUR SCREEN," do we think this sends up a red flag for him? Hell, no - to him it means he is getting what he wants...the WHOLE PICTURE (lack of education). Rather, if the disclaimer read, "30-40% of the image from this film has been cropped from the sides in order that it can it can fill your t.v. screen," maybe at least a few dozen J6P's would think twice. Then again, maybe not.

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

I'm all for educating the masses, but wording wouldn't truly capture the spirit of movies filmed in open matte.
    A rewording or even a simple graphic to demonstrate exactly what has happened to "format" the video for TV would be greatly appreciated and would go far to educating the Walmart loving J6Ps out there.

3. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

It may not be a matter of education. I read so many posts condemning full screen movies but the fact is they have a purpose.
    What we all must remember is that our video setups are the exception rather than the rule. Most of us have larger tvs, have viewing distance set up optimally and/or simply place a very high priority on OAR.
    I know plenty of folks who are not that way. They may have a smaller TV or sit too far away from the TV. Most J6Ps know that they are losing quite a bit of the picture when it goes full screen but their choice is either to look at a very tiny widescreen picture which they can't really see or get a fullscreen picture that they can view and enjoy the movie with.
    I think, as long as the WS formats are still available for us, we should not be too concerned with fullscreen for J6P.
    IMO

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

I think that the back of the keepcase should have an example of how much of the picture you are missing... before of after if you will. Like on the inside of most MGM "Collectable" booklets (like Bond).
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

5. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I have yet to see a "modified" picture that fits my 16x9 screen....
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc

6. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Well, i think the discalmer is for P&S discs only... since when do you buy P&S discs??? Never right? Then why would you see the disclaimer?
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine