The Nativity Story (Dec. 1, 2006)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Adam_S, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    teaser here:

http://www.thenativitystory.com/

going to make so much money this christmas, probably be the top grosser for the holiday season.

Keisha Castle Hughes (Whale Rider) is playing Mary, and it looks like they have apretty young Joseph as well (look at the featurette to see what they look like in the movie, since the teaser is iconic rather than imagery). glad we're getting a realistic age here.

Shohreh Agdashloo is playing the mother of John the Baptist.

Now it'd be really interesting if someone made a movie about the apostles (so that would be post death, and about founding the church, or a story about saul/paul) where they're not played by thirty-fifty somethings, but by the young men most likely were 15-25, by most scholary estimates I've heard.

2. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

wow that's a big age difference between Shohreh and Keisha, I mean John the Baptist was Jesus's cousin (if I'm remembering correctly) I can't imagine that John's mother and Mary were really all that much difference in age, maybe 10-15 years at the most. (this is my assumption, she could be many years older, but I thought John and Jesus were about the same age, give or take a year or two and I didn't think older women had children back then, though reading the wikipedia page on John the Baptist his father Zacharias lost his voice at the unbelief that he had a son, so maybe she was older...)
    Anyway casting looks alright, I'll probably see this as it will probably end up being a church trip.

I agree Adam a movie on the apostles would be interesting. It would be hard to do it in one movie I think though, maybe a mini-series. As long as it's done well and right it would be good.

3. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

I'd love to see an Adam and Eve (Genesis) movie made using awesome CGI showing how the universe was created, how Adam and Eve were created and the beauty of Eden.

- Colton

4. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

This is slightly on-topic, but wasn't there some talk of adapting Milton's Paradise Lost? That could be interesting, but I don't know how well it would go over with some people.

5. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    How long before this thread gets locked?

Not long I wager.[​IMG]

6. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

Hmm. An awfully blah title.

7. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The mini-series A.D. dealt with precisely this. I LOVED every minute of this thing, but then again, I was a kid. Not sure how I would react today, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available on DVD.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088471/

--
    H

8. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

9. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    interesting, never head of it.

I imagine the rules that applied to Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 9/11 will apply to this thread as well.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Whoa, thanks Larry!

But according to imdb, the thing is 50min x 12 eps = 10h, while christiancinema.com sayz 6h (and the label "6h version" is an acknowledgement of the existence of a longer one)?

I have really fond memories of this series and would love to experience it again.

--
    H

11. Larry Sutliff

I think this may be an edited version that was shown on the History Channel a few years ago. As I recall they cut out some of the Tiberius/Caligula stuff.

12. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

13. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

That's unfortunate. The Roman intrigues were arguably the best part of the show. I remember Caligula's assassination like it was yesterday.

--
    H

14. nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood Second Unit

Thanks!

After posting this I was talking about it with a friend, we both found the passage about both Elizabeth and Zacharias being considerably older and that when it was announced to Zacharias that Elizabeth was pregnant that he questioned it, causing him to loose his voice.

Pretty neat stuff if you ask me, guess that's why I wanted to go to school to major in Biblical History. heh. I didn't though...

This teaser trailer hasn't done anything for me, I hope they get something a little more meaty with clips and stuff to show how this is going to look, sound and feel.

The A.D. mini-series sounds interesting, heck it's even got Ian &%@!*^%$ McShane in it. Wow it's got quite the cast in general.

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Regarding any "IBTL" posts here: The thread will only get closed if personal religious opinions are posted. Just discussing some of the biblical aspects that may be touched by this film -- and how it all relates to the film -- won't cause it to be closed. Just keep the thread the way it is, then fine.

16. Larry Sutliff

Yeah, the stuff with Caligula and Nero were the best parts of the film in many way. If this is the version shown on the History Channel, I think the Caligula assassination scene was cut. [​IMG]

17. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    what does IBTL mean?

18. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

IBTL = "I beat the lock" or "in before the lock"

IBTL is an acronym used on an internet forum when a poster has judged a thread to be due for locking by an administrator because of its off-topic or offensive content. Use of IBTL is a declaration that the user has "won a race" versus the forum administrator, who is about to close the thread.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It's too bad that they're (apparently) not making an attempt at what the original languages would have been. It would be good to have a film at (or close) to that quality, so they could serve almost as bookends to Jesus's life. I do love how barren the set photos look. Part of what always appealed to me about the story of Jesus's birth is how humble the setting was, what with the manger and all.
    I also think Keisha Castle-Hughes was a wonderful choice. In Whale Rider she had a wonderful way of being wise and strong, yet vulnerable at the same time. Her look also defies the pale, blue-eyed vision of Jesus that the West has today.
    Here's direct access to the teaser trailer on YouTube

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    I too am disappointed this isn't in Aramaic, that was a big part of the appeal of Passion of the Christ. but this makes the story more accessible for families, and I dont' think Hollywood realized how special the language made Passion feel, it's a factor that probably added substantially to the gross of the film.