What's new

The Name of the Rose - Region 1 DVD soon? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Do you know anything about a Region 1 DVD of the movie "The Name of the Rose" currently in the work?

I can't understand why they don't released it yet... The Region 0 NTSC seem very poor in quality, so I prefer wait a Region 1 release...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for this either. My Annaud collection is so incomplete without it...

Antony James

Stunt Coordinator
The region 0 is poor in quality?

It may be far from perfect, but it's certainly the best I've ever seen it.

I'm just happy to have it in OAR instead of some crappy old P&S VHS botch-job. :)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
This was listed in a planned 2003 Warner release schedule for the UK as coming this month (my VHS was released by Polygram), but has never materialised.
There is nothing listed at the BBFC since 1990 therefore I think it is unlikely we will see anything here for at least a few months.

There was a Greek R0 release of the original Brazilian R0 ?in late 2002 / early 2003 but this was only letterboxed not anamorphic and had poor picture quality from comments I found so I held off buying it. This now seems OOP. It was from the same company who released the Greek R0 Once Upon a Time in America now replaced by the offical Warner one.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
PaulP, you should have included the disclaimer that The Bits posted about that:

So news that "(The Name of the Rose) is coming in a SE in July" is "tenuous information", and from Brazil no less.

My wife is a desperate fan of this film, but I won't get her hopes up quite yet over this. Rather, I'd say that things look more optimistic, but I wouldn't start eBaying my old VHS quite yet. :)

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Warner will also release a R2 SE in May 2004 so I imagine a R1 won't be far off.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Interesting rumors, but even if Warner does do a NAME OF THE ROSE SE overseas, that doesn't guarantee they own the rights here. Embassy/Nelson owned the U.S. video rights for years and Fox released it theatrically here -- unless those rights have expired (which is possible since it's been nearly 18 years since its release), the movie would have to go through other hands to get to DVD in America. (Heck, does MGM own it?? I would hope not, but you never know....)

Also, I thought the picture quality on the Brazilian DVD was more than passable. It's better than the laserdisc and certainly beats not seeing the movie at all. (It is derived from a PAL source, though, which accounts for it being "sped up" a bit).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks