What's new

The Name Of The Rose coming !!! (1 Viewer)

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
I just wanted to report that The Name Of The Rose with Sean Connery and Christian Slater is coming to dvd here in Holland in December of this year.
No specs are released as of yet but they are expected soon.
I am realy happy that this movie is finally coming to dvd as this is one must-have for me :D:D
Greetz,

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Please keep us informed! I would dearly love to have a high-quality edition of this movie on DVD.

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
In England I just heard they are releasing a region 0 version of The Name Of The Rose on dvd.
Price is just around 17 English Pounds.
I just thought some of you might wanna know :D

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
...will that disc be released by the same - still nameless?/unnamed? - company that is releasing the - improved? - 'Greek' DVD of OUATIA hitherto only available from Link Removed (see dedicated thread on this page)? - ...he asked, as ever suspicious...
. . . . . .

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Well that could be, that title was also on the list.
The only thing I know is that it has the following specs :

* Widescreen
* English Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack
* Dolby 2.0 Portugees
* Subtitles English, Greec , Portugees.
* Biographies from Sean Connery , Christian Slater , F. Murray Abraham and the director Jean-Jaques Annaud.

That's it.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
...will that disc be released by the same - still nameless?/unnamed? - company that is releasing the - improved? - 'Greek' DVD of OUATIA hitherto only available from Brazil
Yes I believe it is.
The give away is the Greek and Portugese subtitles on the disk.

There is a discussion of these 2 titles on the DVDFile Forums include a post from someone based in the UK who claims to have done the transfer for the Greek editions.
I posted some questions on TNOTR but no reponse.
Main ones are is it anamorphic and a DVD9 ?

Play have both titles listed as released this week but as at this morning had no stock in.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Is the UK anamorphic? Is there a review out there at all??
This was also my question. Noone knows as the only e-tailer I have found selling this is Play and they do not have it in stock yet. Therefore no reviews.

It is not a UK release but Greek, as detailed in the OUATIA thread. This is because the rights in Greece were available to the company releasing these titles. Not sure who has UK rights as my original P/S VHS was distributed by Polgram (before they were bought by Univeral and part of their catalogue went to MGM). But I think it was an independent production and they were just the distributors so am unsure who if anyone now has UK rights.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
There's a review somewhere in www.dvdfr.com which apparently makes it clear it's non-anamorphic. Darren over at www.dvddebate.com found it but I can't bring his link up. I've asked him to check.
£17 is a LOT of money for a bad DVD, in my book. What the hell is any studio doing sitting on this one anyway? :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Hendrik

Supporting Actor
FYI:
...the French DVD of THE NAME OF THE ROSE (an [English-language] French-German-Italian co-production) was released way back in 1998 - the film received a letterbox 1.85:1 transfer, plus English and French DD 2.0 soundtracks - when the English track is selected, you wind up with 'locked' French subtitles...
. . . . . .

Quint van der Vaart

Second Unit
Hi,

I am just finished watching The Name Of The Rose dvd and wanted to write to you all about the dvd.

Well what can I say, after waiting for so long for this dvd I am a bit dissapointed.
Why you may ask...well the picture quality of this dvd is not so good.
There is a lot of grain and video noise on the disc and that is to bad.
The colours are good and detail is average.
This realy is to bad because it could have been one great dvd release.
The soundtrack is in Dolby Digital 5.1 and is nice but nothing more than that.
James Horner's score realy builds up the mood but overal the track is average.
Extra's come in the form of filmographies of castmembers.

My conclusion is that it is not worth the 17 pounds.
If it was say 12 pounds that would be reasonable.
If you are a fan of the movie you will enjoy it but if you want quality out of this dvd then you will be dissapointed.

I hope that MGM (who holds american rights) will give us a more satisfying dvd.

Greetz

Jerome

Second Unit
Jean-Jacques annaud said in an interview last year when the Enemy of the Gates DVD was released in France that he was very upset about the french dvd of Name of the Rose. He also said he will be involved in a new DVD in France soon.
Now we'll have to wait...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks