What's new

the name of the game (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
With Timeless releasing some of the Universal 90m shows to dvd I was hoping the The Name of the Game was in their future . They just released Arrest and Trial a little while back . That was a 90m Universal non western . I guess i'll just keep hoping .

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'd grab it immediately too if they released it, some have suggested though that many of the 60s/70s color Universal shows might have a price tag above Timeless' limit and budget (?). I'm not sure how it works, but if independents like Madman in Australia can get Uni hit shows like McCloud and Quincy M.E. why can't Timeless get similar titles. Maybe it's somehow easier for deals outside the US.

Will Green

Grip
Real Name
Will
I believe that Neil Brock mentioned a few months ago that Timeless was considering a release of this show along with The Bold Ones and Peter Gunn. I could be wrong as I couldn't find the exact post.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]but if independents like Madman in Australia can get Uni hit shows like McCloud and Quincy M.E. why can't Timeless get similar titles. Maybe it's somehow easier for deals outside the US.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]I know these people but not to talk to but they are in my city and I won't give their interesting history. Best left alone.[/COLOR]

They do release local material which the archives give them as they no longer do their own releases(thanks to an import archive chief who now works at GEH now, I believe, and even stopped a nice printed newsletter of acquisitions, finds and restorations), TV stuff and third party from Fox & Universal. It is often hard to find what is being released unless one falls over it somewhere. The quality is usually good. Too many releases end up quickly cheap at shops that sell newspapers etc in the $6 each or two for $10 bins. I have even got them for $2.50 in the past. They also appear at markets over Christmas but I would never buy those as they are in the open in blazing sun all day. Not good in that case. These people also do a number of foreign and British material. What is different from US releases on some feature films is that they have commentary tracks from a local film expert who is from a university. This makes them unique to Australia although I have come across a couple of overseas releases of film where they have added this guy's commentary track.

They may well pay less because, theoretically, they would have a much smaller customer base. This certainly worked with Australian TV stations buying TV shows from USA and thus money was made available enough for local production which suffered. To make an Australian show would be more expansive, in the old days, than buy a ready made episode from a US show even though US production costs(including inflated wages to performers) are much higher in USA-the sales were on a sliding scale based on population in the buyer's marketplace. Hence Hanna-Barbera made many TV animation shows in Sydney because of cheaper costs. The studio was owned by a major building manufacturing & supplies company who recently went thru an asbestos claims trial.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
My understanding is that there are rights issues associated with this show, combined with Universal dispensing with the department that handled licensing. There is also the issue of elements. Only selected episodes of this show were remastered, which made up the package that ran on Encore, and has been running more recently on COZI-TV. Timeless was interested back in the day, but due to all the roadblocks, have put it deep on the back burner.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
John Karras said:
My understanding is that there are rights issues associated with this show, combined with Universal dispensing with the department that handled licensing.
Why on earth would they do that?!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Timeless is also much less active than they were a couple of years ago, so I'm not holding my breath.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that there are rights issues associated with this show, combined with Universal dispensing with the department that handled licensing. There is also the issue of elements. Only selected episodes of this show were remastered, which made up the package that ran on Encore, and has been running more recently on COZI-TV. Timeless was interested back in the day, but due to all the roadblocks, have put it deep on the back burner.
Encore had a package in the 90s of 44 of the 76 episodes, which were remastered for them. If season sets were released, the other 32 shows would have to be transferred. Which means likely 16mm prints as we know about Universal and their transferring costs. In addition, many of the shows have music issues, although in light of what shows Shout is currently tackling, that's probably not as much of an impediment as the elements issues.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
John Karras said:
"Corporate restructuring" is the likely cause. Hopefully it's a temporary situation.
The NBC/Universal - Comcast Merger most likely the cause of the likely cause.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks