What's new

The Mysterians Stomping your Way 1/25 !!! (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
TokyoShock/Media Blasters will release this Japanese Classic on 1/25. It will Be anamorphic Widescreen and include both English and Japanese Tracks. I'm so glad this classic film is finally arriving. The Also have the rights to VARAN (aka VARAN THE UNBELIEVABLE) (1958), DOGORA (aka DAGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER) (1964), MATANGO (aka ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE) (1963) and SPACE AMOEBA (aka YOG: MONSTER FROM SPACE) (1970).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Add me to the list as purchasing all of these. Can't believe the flood gates are finally open for Godzilla and other Toho films to be released in the U.S. in original language and widescreen but I'm extremely grateful.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
True story: I had been back from the Post Office about 2 hours, having just picked up my R2, orig. language/non-subbed, $60.00 DVD of The Mysterians when I found out about this (!). I still had it in my player, when I stopped to get online for a minute.

Yep, I agree! Toho is finally coming around.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
yah!

yah!

I read about this years ago

Super-excited.

Now, if only Sony Pictures Home Entertainment would re-release all the ones they didn't subtitle...

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure they will. They still have a few more unreleased ones to release in December and then the 1st half of next year I expect we will see a few more that they may have just got the rights to like: Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, Ghidorah the three Headed Monster, Godzilla vs. Megalon and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2. So then maybe the second half of next year we may see some re-issues.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

vs. The Sea Monster is coming in 2005, as is MechaG '93.

Ghidorah I don't believe has englsh dub materials extant, but nothing says they can't make a new dub.

Does anybody really want Megalon...? ;)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have the DVD copy of Megalon that was yanked for Rights reasons. The quality was horrible. I know theres a WS Remaster as I've seen it on Scifi. Megalon is goofy but fun.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well I'll be picking up Mysterians hoping it's the un-cut 88 min version.

I'll also pick up Varan, Dagora & Mantango when they get released. Don't ever remember seeing Yog though.

Here's hoping for eventual R1 OAR OSL un-cut versions of
Gojira '54
Rodan
Mothra '61
Ghidrah '65
Godzilla vs. Mothra '64
King Kong vs. Godzilla
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
War of the Gargantuas

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
No Dates have been announced but i believe Sony Classic Media has aquired teh rights for both Frankenstein Conquers the World, and War of the Gargantuas

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Everywhere is listing it as 1.33:1.

Just received an email from Media Blasters.

It will be 16x9 2.35:1. Nothing was said if it will have English subtitles, just the Japanese language or English dubbed.

I asked them this, but they didn't answer that. :D

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Any Ideas Why it was delayed? And dates for the other titles they announced ?

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
MATANGO-ATTACK OF THE MUSHROOM PEOPLE is up for pre-order at Deep Discount DVD for 3/15 release.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
The G vs. MechaG '93 disc that came out recently is s'posed to be a disappointment (among other things, they cut off the end credits), but the G vs. The Sea Monster disc is absolutely stunning. The durn thing looks like it was made yesterday.

Can't wait for Matango, great horror flick!

William Miller

Second Unit
The Mysterians DVD stomped into my house today and it is spectacular!

Finally, this TohoScope masterpiece can be seen in all of it's anamorphic 2.35 glory. And what a revelation it is.

This is the original Japanese version. The screen credits are in Japanese. The running time is 88 minutes.

The picture looks great. Very sharp and colorful. Some of the process shots and stock footage don't hold up to DVD scrutiny but who cares?

There are five audio options:

English 5.1 dubbed (avoid)

Japanese 5.1 (just fair)

Japanese original mono (this is the one, especially if you are a real movie fan)

Spanish mono

Commentary with Koichi Kawakita and Shinji Higuchi (and it's in Japanese!) (But don't worry, there are English subtitles available)

So, the correct way to watch it (assuming you do not speak Japanese), is the Japanese mono with English subtitles.

Some of the other extras are a photo gallery and storyboard section. Plus trailers for some forthcoming Media Blasters releases such as a letterboxed Attack of the Mushroom People and Varan the Unbelievable (2 more TohoScope masterpieces.)

This is a must buy for Japanese Monster Movie fans and is great fun to watch. I am assuming this DVD has been duplicated from an existing Japanese DVD but whoever did it deserves high praise.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
My "Mysterians" DVD arrived yesterday from Xploited Cinema. I'll buy "Mantango" too, but none of the others mentioned above in the 1st post.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

If you haven't seen it, I highly suggest you check out DOGORA after it's released. A beautiful film, with a completely atypical monster for Toho. Although you can't tell how beautiful it is from the horrendous pan&scam faded-color 16mm-derived VHS bootlegs floating around...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks