What's new

The Music Man Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Resurrecting this thread to ask, Is there any word on if WB is planning a 50th Anniversary release of "The Music Man" sometime the second half of this year?

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Yes, a Blu-ray "Gypsy" release would be fabulous - even better with some new extras (maybe an audio commentary or interview featurette with Ann Jillian - she's got some great stories.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I cannot believe Warners will let the 50th anniversary of Gypsy go by without a Blu-ray release. I will be bitterly disappointed if they do so (especially since we got Camelot, and I don't think it's nearly as good).

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I want Gypsy on blu so bad. The sets and costumes are so rich in detail I want to see them in hi-def.
Looking forward to The Music Man tomorrow; I always watch it on July 4 along with 1776. At least one of them will be in hi-def. (Are you listening Sony?)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Re-watched "The Music Man" Blu-ray last night. For the most part the film looks great - ut there seems to be a brown tint to everything which wasn't in the theaterical presentation. Also the sound had some problems in a few places (the begining of "Good Night My Someone" for instance)

Since Warner is re-ding some of their earlier Blu-rays ("Deliverance") I wonder too if "The Music Man" will get a 50th anniversary book and maybe a better transfer?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
GMpasqua said:
Re-watched "The Music Man" Blu-ray last night.  For the most part the film looks great - ut there seems to be a brown tint to everything which wasn't in the theaterical presentation. Also the sound had some problems in a few places (the begining of "Good Night My Someone" for instance)
Since Warner is re-ding some of their earlier Blu-rays ("Deliverance") I wonder too if "The Music Man" will get a 50th anniversar
y book and maybe a better transfer?
It should have gotten the 2 disc SE treatment like My Fair Lady and 80 Days and Band Wagon got ages ago. So should Gypsy, which I suggest get its own thread.
Back to topic, while we're talking about Music Man, what sort of extras would you like to see added? There must be a bunch of compatible shorts and cartoons that could make a good Warner Night at the Movies program with it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
While we still have Shirley Jones and Barbara Cook with us, it'd be a kick to have the two most famous Marians sitting down together and talking about working with Robert Preston and Pert Kelton, particular problems each had with the role or the music, their favorite parts of the piece, etc.

How often have stage and screen actors who played the same role gotten together to talk about their approaches and memories?

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Shirley Jones is going to play the role of Mrs. Paroo in a stage production of The Music Man this August at the Sacramento Music Circus. At first, I was startled because that is not really a big enough part for her - but it turns out Patrick Cassidy is playing Harold Hill. Shirley was pregnant with Patrick while making the film, so since it is all the family it kind of comes full circle. Shirley has now played (on stage) Aunt Eller in Oklahoma!, Cousin Nettie in Carousel, and now Mrs. Paroo in The Music Man.
When watching the blu-ray of The Music Man, I am always surprised at how obvious the blue screen process is in the opening train scene. Blu-ray really shows that up where standard definition just couldn't.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattH. said:
While we still have Shirley Jones and Barbara Cook with us, it'd be a kick to have the two most famous Marians sitting down together and talking about working with Robert Preston and Pert Kelton, particular problems each had with the role or the music, their favorite parts of the piece, etc.
How often have stage and screen actors who played the same role gotten together to talk about their approaches and memories?
Excellent idea.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Boy, that sure is a great idea. Anybody out there listening?

Also, pretty incredible about Shirley Jones playing the "matron" parts now. Yikes! But that Sacramento production -- how perfect, with her son and all. Would love to see that.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
bryan4999 said:
Shirley Jones is going to play the role of Mrs. Paroo in a stage production of The Music Man this August at the Sacramento Music Circus. At first, I was startled because that is not really a big enough part for her - but it turns out Patrick Cassidy is playing Harold Hill. Shirley was pregnant with Patrick while making the film, so since it is all the family it kind of comes full circle. Shirley has now played (on stage) Aunt Eller in Oklahoma!, Cousin Nettie in Carousel, and now Mrs. Paroo in The Music Man.
When watching the blu-ray of The Music Man, I am always surprised at how obvious the blue screen process is in the opening train scene. Blu-ray really shows that up where standard definition just couldn't.
Slightly O/T, but Shirley Jones and Patrick Cassidy have also appeared together in the most recent Broadway revival of "42nd Street", becoming I believe, the first mother/son team to play principal roles in a Broadway musical.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by classicmovieguy /t/297631/the-music-man-blu-ray/60#post_3944937
Slightly O/T, but Shirley Jones and Patrick Cassidy have also appeared together in the most recent Broadway revival of "42nd Street", becoming I believe, the first mother/son team to play principal roles in a Broadway musical.
I believe she, Patrick, and Shaun also played in Blood Brothers together on Broadway, too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And if I could go back to my original thought about bringing Shirley Jones and Barbara Cook together, they could also bring in Rebecca Luker from the Broadway revival and Kristin Chenoweth from the TV-movie if you wanted to get a good old fashioned hen party going talking about the role. The latter two wouldn't have the Robert Preston/Pert Kelton/Buffalo Bills connection, but all played Marian to strong reviews, so their thoughts would all be interesting..

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattH. said:
And if I could go back to my original thought about bringing Shirley Jones and Barbara Cook together, they could also bring in Rebecca Luker from the Broadway revival and Kristin Chenoweth from the TV-movie if you wanted to get a good old fashioned hen party going talking about the role. The latter two wouldn't have the Robert Preston/Pert Kelton/Buffalo Bills connection, but all played Marian to strong reviews, so their thoughts would all be interesting..
Might as well add Dick Van Dyke, Craig Bierko and Eric McCormack. I have a whole list of titles I want to do that with but I must say I hate the TV version.
Can anyone think of existing shorts and cartoons to add?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/297631/the-music-man-blu-ray/60#post_3944982
Might as well add Dick Van Dyke, Craig Bierko and Eric McCormack. I have a whole list of titles I want to do that with but I must say I hate the TV version.
Can anyone think of existing shorts and cartoons to add?

I hated the TV version, too. I saw Eric McCormack do it on Broadway during a seasonal hiatus from Will & Grace and he was superb. The whole production was.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
MattH. said:
 I believe she, Patrick, and Shaun also played in Blood Brothers together on Broadway, too.
Close - it was Petula Clark with David Cassidy and Shaun Cassidy. Helen Reddy later took over for Petula.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
bryan4999 said:
I attended the Sacramento Music Circus performance of The Music Man this past Saturday afternoon, Aug. 4, 2012. The show was fantastic. Patrick Cassidy was a terrific Harold Hill. Shirley was fun as Mrs. Paroo, she had the brogue down perfectly and she exhibited her usual warm presence and looked lovely. The director/producers made a nice gesture by having Shirley sing the last few stanzas of Goodnight, My Someone in harmony with Marian, a nice touch. Shirley received quite an ovation. The show was fast-paced and joyful, just as Music Man should be. Nice to see a fresh face on a classic. Staging, dancing were all first-rate, as were the costumes. After the curtain call, Shirley told the story of Robert Preston feeling Patrick (who was in the womb when the movie was filmed) kick when he and Shirley were embracing on the footbridge, and then she and Patrick sang a duet of Til There was You. There was not a dry eye in the house. It was a great afternoon. If I could have, I would have liked to have seen the show again. I watched the blu-ray last night and loved the movie all over again; thank goodness for film and having Shirley's performance as Marian (and Robert Preston's) preserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks