What's new

The Muppets Christmas Carol 20th Anniversary Blu-ray available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, OK. I haven't looked at the deleted scenes from The Muppets yet. I'll do that next time I watch it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Here's the page, in case anyone wants to support it:

https://www.facebook.com/UncutMuppetsChristmasCarol

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
NY2LA said:
Good point. Meanwhile someone has started a facebook page to campaign for the uncut Muppet Christmas Carol. Maybe they should ask for uncut Muppet Family Christmas and Muppets movie too...
I'm not sure whose decision it was to shorten "Let's Talk About Me," but I don't know the story behind the cuts there. But I still think they could have thought of a better title than just The Muppets, which is easy to confuse with The Muppet Movie.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
I'm not sure whose decision it was to shorten "Let's Talk About Me," but I don't know the story behind the cuts there. But I still think they could have thought of a better title than just The Muppets, which is easy to confuse with The Muppet Movie.
Agreed. Maybe Disney wanted to establish its own post-Henson era of Muppet movies. They have a new logo, too. But without any input from the creators and not many original performers, the potential exists for them to go off the rails. That's kindof sad.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I called Disney's 1-800 number this afternoon, and the answer I got from them was "this is the original theatrical version." I also was told I'm not the only one who's called in to express disappointment.

Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322490/the-muppets-christmas-carol-20th-anniversary-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon/60#post_3996283
Agreed. Maybe Disney wanted to establish its own post-Henson era of Muppet movies. They have a new logo, too. But without any input from the creators and not many original performers, the potential exists for them to go off the rails. That's kindof sad.

In all fairness, some of the original performers and writers are retiring and dying. And there was some rumbling about Frank Oz's supposed ambivalence towards the last film.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
I called Disney's 1-800 number this afternoon, and the answer I got from them was "this is the original theatrical version." I also was told I'm not the only one who's called in to express disappointment.
I bet that's an understatement. In my experience, studios tend to deny any other dissent or outcry, unless they are facing a firestorm, and then they admit to a small fraction of the actual amount.
Someone needs to give them some examples to prove that "original theatrical version" does not mean the best version. They keep using that phrase as an excuse when it's not really appropriate. In their own catalog they have restored footage and touted it as a plus, examples are Millionaire and Bedknobs. I'm sure you can name more examples, both theirs and others'.
MatthewA said:
In all fairness, some of the original performers and writers are retiring and dying. And there was some rumbling about Frank Oz's supposed ambivalence towards the last film.
Well the rest of that story, is that Oz, being an original Muppet creator and well established director, had his own Muppet movie ready to go and Disney nixed it in favor of Jason Segel, who they wanted to be in business with. Oz was not thrilled with the handling of the characters in the script, as they have always been clever enough to stay subversive and irreverent without getting vulgar (a good example of crossing the line is to actually have Fozzie say "fart" when they could have played off his established fondness for whoopie cushions by having him refer to whoopie shoes, and then pan down to a variation of bunny slippers that look like Whoopi Goldberg). I think Oz may not be totally unhappy with the end result but clearly different choices were made by people with less knowledge of the characters.
Word also filtered out that established Muppet performers considered taking their names off the film. I found the finished film is the funniest yet - some great sight gags - but a look at the deleted scenes shows again the end result was not ideal. If Disney wants to mimic the kind of comedy Segel and Apatow are popular for why not take another page from their playbook and release a longer version (with scenes not in the theatrical version) to Home Video?
If you go back to the Vault Disney versions of Parent Trap and Pollyanna, you learn that Walt Disney himself had no problems with a movie's length if he liked what was there.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm starting to wish I hadn't complained about the DVD extras on Fantasia and The Lion King being accessible only via BD-Live. At least they're somewhere.

I also wonder whether the fact that Disney combined its home video, theatrical distribution and consumer products department some time ago has anything to do with these decisions:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/disney/bob-chapek-head-revamped-disney-consumer-products-25018

And seriously, how many people use those extra DVDs, compared to those who would rather have second discs of good extras instead?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
I'm starting to wish I hadn't complained about the DVD extras on Fantasia and The Lion King being accessible only via BD-Live. At least they're somewhere.
I also wonder whether the fact that Disney combined its home video, theatrical distribution and consumer products department some time ago has anything to do with these decisions:
And seriously, how many people use those extra DVDs, compared to those who would rather have second discs of good extras instead?
Yeah they can afford billions for all these huge acquisitions yet they cheap out on the end product. While I get the concept of easing the format transition for people, I don't think the two format packages pan out financially. Before I bought a Blu Ray Player, I never bought any of the combo disc sets, and after I got one, I felt the added DVD (which in nearly every case I already had) was just an excuse to jack up the price, and inflate the perceived value/disc count, especially in multidisc sets.
If they want to offer an affordable option for people to play the movies in cars, etc. why not put in a coupon or a code in the Blu ray package for people who want to buy a DVD and/or digital copy for a dollar or two, and the rest of us can save the bucks.
When there are extras left off from previous versions, I wish they'd give an option to get more, even if MOD.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I emailed Disney's customer service, and I was very specific about my disappointment that the extended version would not be included as an option on the new Blu-ray release, and this is part of the response I got:
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about The Muppet Christmas Carol. We're sad to hear that you are unhappy with the upcoming theatrical release.
The song "Love is Gone" was added back into this title for the initial home video release. It was never part of the theatrical release. As a result it will not be available in the upcoming theatrical release of The Muppet Christmas Carol.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck said:
I emailed Disney's customer service, and I was very specific about my disappointment that the extended version would not be included as an option on the new Blu-ray release, and this is part of the response I got: "Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about The Muppet Christmas Carol. We're sad to hear that you are unhappy with the upcoming theatrical release.
The song "Love is Gone" was added back into this title for the initial home video release. It was never part of the theatrical release. As a result it will not be available in the upcoming theatrical release of The Muppet Christmas Carol."
I would begin any letters to them by stating that "original theatrical release" is no excuse - with examples of why. That phrase is a cheap crutch for them and it's a cop-out. I assume you wrote them about the Blu ray rather than the theatrical release (which is UK only as far as I know) That particular person needs to learn the difference between Theatrical and Blu Ray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/322490/the-muppets-christmas-carol-20th-anniversary-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon/90#post_3997058
I would begin any letters to them by stating that "original theatrical release" is no excuse - with examples of why. That phrase is a cheap crutch for them and it's a cop-out. I assume you wrote them about the Blu ray rather than the theatrical release (which is UK only as far as I know) That particular person needs to learn the difference between Theatrical and Blu Ray.

Some of the Touchstone titles (Ransom, Dead Poets Society and Good Morning America) had extended versions on laserdisc, but the scenes weren't kept on the Blu-rays, not even as extras.

I'll be writing a very long letter to the studio about this trend and why the "original theatrical release" is not always the definitive version of the film.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MatthewA said:
Some of the Touchstone titles (Ransom, Dead Poets Society and Good Morning America) had extended versions on laserdisc, but the scenes weren't kept on the Blu-rays, not even as extras.
I'll be writing a very long letter to the studio about this trend and why the "original theatrical release" is not always the definitive version of the film.
The last DVD of Pretty Woman had a bunch of restored scenes, and now that i've gotten used to them, guess what they did to the blu? Never bought it! They lose!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
We should, of course, make it clear that what we want is both versions (in general, I mean). Because the extended cut is not necessarily the definitive version of a film, either.
I imagine a lot of these extended versions were prepared in standard definition video only, and would require some re-conforming work to make ready for Blu-ray. However, as has been previously mentioned, CBS has raised the bar pretty high on what's possible in that realm with their TNG sets, so it's almost certainly doable.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Bryan Tuck /t/322490/the-muppets-christmas-carol-20th-anniversary-blu-ray-available-for-preorder-on-amazon/90#post_3997211
We should, of course, make it clear that what we want is both versions (in general, I mean). Because the extended cut is not necessarily the definitive version of a film, either.
I imagine a lot of these extended versions were prepared in standard definition video only, and would require some re-conforming work to make ready for Blu-ray. However, as has been previously mentioned, CBS has raised the bar pretty high on what's possible in that realm with their TNG sets, so it's almost certainly doable.

IIRC, Disney did their reconstructions of Bedknobs and Broomsticks and The Happiest Millionaire on film, so it's not as if they would have to start from scratch in those cases. That was not the case with Muppet Christmas Carol or any of the Touchstone titles.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck said:
In point of fact, the complete version has been the only version available for the majority of its time on video (12 of 19 years). If we have to do all the studio's thinking for them, it should also be pointed out that they should use Seamless Branching so that the ADD crowd has the option to jump over the song. What we do NOT want, (as they've done before) is to have two transfers of the movie on the same side of a single disc because it drastically reduces the bitrate and lowers the picture quality.
For as long as home video has existed, making a new transfer from the film elements is standard procedure for every reissue, (unless it's just a repackage job) particularly in a new format, whether there is already another transfer around or not. The cost of a telecine session for a simple 35mm film is nothing compared to the cost of pressing, distributing and promoting it.

Kratos

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I'm not familiar with the song you Guys are referring to, but if it was cut sometimes it might be for the better of the movie. I do love this version of a Christmas Carol, & yes IMO its one of the best versions ever made of it. Again I do hate when scenes are cut out, but I don't remember that one song, so I guess I won't be disappointed when I get the BR.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kratos said:
I'm not familiar with the song you Guys are referring to, but if it was cut sometimes it might be for the better of the movie. I do love this version of a Christmas Carol, & yes IMO its one of the best versions ever made of it. Again I do hate when scenes are cut out, but I don't remember that one song, so I guess I won't be disappointed when I get the BR.
I believe there is a clip of the song on youtube. I agree it's one of the better screen versions of ACC.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I saw MCC on opening day back in 1992, so for me, the "definitive" version is without the song.
I wish it were at least included as a bonus feature (or via seamless branching), but I would always choose to watch the movie without it, so I'll still be getting the Blu-ray.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I would have to guess each film presents its own set of issues for the studio.

IIRC, Disney released Beauty and the Beast with the additional song "Human Again" available to be viewed within the film as a choice via seamless branching.

Disney included the additional song "If I Never Knew You" on the Pocahontas Blu as a deleted scene.

And here, the additional song "When Love is Gone" is missing altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks